How do you ice/front a cake like this. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

How would you frost/ice a cake thats been made into a shape using a mould, without losing the details of the cake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

i was like " front a cake ? " whatever that means ......

anyway i guess you glaze it with a liquid glaze it you want to keep the exact shape ? or carefully apply the buttery kind of frosting on the sides with a knife .... it will still be square, right ? actually don't understand how you can ruin the shape of the cake but frosting it, sorry .... maybe i just don't get the question
#3 Old 03-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Try using a pastry bag with a small tip. Just pipe a million "little buds" on the cake. You should retain the character of the design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon toast View Post

Try using a pastry bag with a small tip. Just pipe a million "little buds" on the cake. You should retain the character of the design.

That's what my mom did on some of my fancier birthday cakes.
#5 Old 03-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

^ or you could make swirls with the frosting bag.

Have fun!
#6 Old 03-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

i was like " front a cake ? " whatever that means ......

anyway i guess you glaze it with a liquid glaze it you want to keep the exact shape ? or carefully apply the buttery kind of frosting on the sides with a knife .... it will still be square, right ? actually don't understand how you can ruin the shape of the cake but frosting it, sorry .... maybe i just don't get the question

An example of what i meant would be.:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...366805501&rd=1

I guessed that by frosting it the details would disappear and having a cake with no frosting seems pointless.

Oh and front a cake, it's another one of my many weird typos.

I did wonder if you could use like rolled out icing ( not sure what it's exactly called) but I'm not sure if it would work. Hmmm this could prove to be difficult.
#7 Old 03-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I would put a thin layer of icing on the top while it's still hot, so it retains the details. Then you can go back over it with other colors in a frosting bag to accent the details.
#8 Old 03-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

oohhhh i get it now , heh i read " square" (i'm not sure where i got that from) so i was all like " how do you mess up a square cake" .... i'm silly

that seems like delicate job .... it would be cool if you could brush the glaze on, or even sprinkle ! yeah i think that would work - cover it with something sticky and wet but kind of thin ... and then sprinkle colored sugar on , or whatever else you can sprinkle on ...
#9 Old 03-25-2005, 10:59 AM

If you don't have pastry bags, you can use a ziplock bag. Actually get two bags because there's a neat trick you can do.

Fill up one ziplock bag with the icing you'll be using. Cut the corner off at an angle. Cut enough off to let the frosting flow, but not too much. Now, cut an off the other ziplock bag in the same way but cut off half as much. Drop your star tip (that's the tip used for character cakes..like the cake you're describing) in to the cut corner of the unfilled bag. Drop the frosting filled bag into that and presto! The cool thing about doing it this way is if you have several different colors and only one star tip, it's much easier to change colors. Otherwise it's a huge mess..trust me.

I know, clear as mud. But let me know if you have questions.
#10 Old 03-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

cute mold
#11 Old 03-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

If you don't have pastry bags, you can use a ziplock bag. Actually get two bags because there's a neat trick you can do.

Fill up one ziplock bag with the icing you'll be using. Cut the corner off at an angle. Cut enough off to let the frosting flow, but not too much. Now, cut an off the other ziplock bag in the same way but cut off half as much. Drop your star tip (that's the tip used for character cakes..like the cake you're describing) in to the cut corner of the unfilled bag. Drop the frosting filled bag into that and presto! The cool thing about doing it this way is if you have several different colors and only one star tip, it's much easier to change colors. Otherwise it's a huge mess..trust me.

I know, clear as mud. But let me know if you have questions.

Holy crap this is a good tip! Brilliant!
#12 Old 03-26-2005, 12:14 PM

Thanks!

I took a few pasty/cake decorating courses years ago. Mostly I just make cakes anymore for gifts. I've done 3 wedding cakes as wedding gifts, the biggest being 12 cakes with a fountain, stair cases, bride and grooms cakes, all that stuff. Very pretty.

But character cakes are popular. I can free hand basically anything as well. It's such a fun medium and so versatile.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page