Can you freeze veggie cheese? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 03-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I won't bore you with why I need to do this, I just want to know. The texture of many foods changes for the worse after freezing: is this the case with cheese?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Banned

Vegan Gourmet can be shredded and frozen without consequence, I'm not sure about anything else.
#3 Old 02-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Look ma! No hooves!

Daiya shreds freezes just fine. I would hazard a guess that any vegan cheese that needs to be melted to be used properly will work just fine, as they really only form as "cheese" after changing state to semi-liquid. You can even taste the tapioca starch in the daiya shreds prior to heating, which tells me that it is just a mixture of ingredients until heated, then the polymers form and it becomes the proper products then.

Carnist: Someone who kills animals and then takes from their bodies.
Vegetarian: Someone who takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable.
Vegan: Someone who tries to avoid unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-06-2017, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

I freeze Daiya shreds and the vegan mozz shreds from Trader Joes without any changes- both of those I only use melted

I recently tried Daiya monterey block and their cheddar slices- very surprised! While the texture has a bit of graininess, they were both very good cold! I did not need to know that...
I haven't tried freezing those, I won't need too! Neither had that 'starch' taste Sapphire refers to.
jaskins likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 02-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Look ma! No hooves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I freeze Daiya shreds and the vegan mozz shreds from Trader Joes without any changes- both of those I only use melted

I recently tried Daiya monterey block and their cheddar slices- very surprised! While the texture has a bit of graininess, they were both very good cold! I did not need to know that...
I haven't tried freezing those, I won't need too! Neither had that 'starch' taste Sapphire refers to.
I had always had the impression that the slices and blocks were "pre-melted" or were made slightly different than the "meant to be melted" shreds. I have tried the slices and the shreds, and it is very obvious that they use a different process when making them. As such, I would still say "vegan cheese meant to be melted is ok for freezing" and "Vegan cheese that is meant to be eaten out of the package uncooked" may not work so well when frozen. For the later, I suggest doing an experiment, freeze some, and the next day do a taste/melt test.

Carnist: Someone who kills animals and then takes from their bodies.
Vegetarian: Someone who takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable.
Vegan: Someone who tries to avoid unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable.
#6 Old 02-07-2017, 03:25 PM

no no no. i hate its taste after that
#7 Old 02-07-2017, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraHudges View Post
no no no. i hate its taste after that
What are you freezing and how are you using it?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#8 Old 02-10-2017, 01:30 PM

is it eatable after that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page