Organic produce delivery! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

So we just signed on to a local organic food delivery service. It has been recommended to us by a few different friends. They provide a box once every week or 2 depending on your preference. You can sign up for small/medium/large boxes depending on family size and how much veg you want. Every week the contents changes based on what is available, so it is always different. Everyone gets the same variety, but the quantity of each item is increased if you get a larger box.

I like that we are supporting local growers and local business. I also like the variety, since my shopping cart often looks the same.

Edit - I should clarify that where I live the growing season is short (May - Sept?), so some stuff may be imported from other places or may be hot house grown, certainly in winter.

I was so excited to open the box! We can also add on other organic/veg*n grocery items (baked goods, grocery items, cleaning supplies, etc.) if we want to. You have to have restraint or it can get expensive quick!

So over the next while, I may have questions about what to do with new and unusual ingredients!

This is the list from this week's box. Just what do you do with watercress?

So, how about some ideas? What recipes would you prepare with this this list? Thanks!

FRUIT

Apples, Empire

Avocado, Fuerte

Pears, danjou

Kiwi

Lemons

Oranges, desert valencia

Mango

VEGETABLES

Cabbage, red

Carrots

Eggplant

Lettuce, butter

Onions, yellow

Potatoes, yukon gold

Potatoes, red

Tomatoes

Watercress

Zucchini
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow! I wish I had something like that here where I live - surprising that I don't, considering its mostly a farming community.

Hmm....
#3 Old 03-16-2005, 11:24 PM
Banned

I participated in one of these last year, I live now essentially across the street from both a farmer's market and a community garden that I hope to participate in this spring/summer.

I would make quac with the onions, tomatoes, and avacadoes.

I've been making lemon chicken a lot with these. The recipe I use is in Bryanna Clark Grogan's Authentic Chinese Cuisine, I can type it out for you if you want, pm me.

Watercress is good in salads, thats the only way I have had it, I would make a salad with that and the lettuce and some carrots. I would do cole slaw with the cabbage and some carrots. I like red potatoes roasted, my favorite is roasted with paprika butter (earth balance) I got this recipe on Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals, I'm sure it can be found at the food network site. I would do mashed potatoes with the yukon golds. With the eggplant I would do either Bhaba ghanoush or slice, bread, deep fry, and dust with powedered sugar.

And the zucchini just screams zucchini bread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-17-2005, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been getting an organic fruit basket for almost a year now. It's very convenient and motivating, if a bit expensive. This is what's in my basket this week:

2 lb. Carrots (ON)

1 hd Cabbage (CA)

1 bch Bok Choy (CA)

1 hd Boston Lettuce (CA)

1 Tomato (CA)

1 pt mixed Sprouts (Shakespeare)

1 Leek (CA)

1 bch Chard (CA)

2 lbs Bananas (Ecuador)

1 Mango (Peru)

4 Valencia Oranges (AZ)

4 Gala Apples (BC)

1 Avocado (Mexico)

5 Kiwi Fruits (CA)

1 Grapefruit (Mexico)

(They try to provide local items where possible, but I think we had a pretty lousy growing season this year because it's been mostly imports lately.)
#5 Old 03-18-2005, 05:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon toast View Post

This is the list from this week's box. Just what do you do with watercress?

So, how about some ideas? What recipes would you prepare with this this list? Thanks!

FRUIT

Apples, Empire

Avocado, Fuerte

Pears, danjou

Kiwi

Lemons

Oranges, desert valencia

Mango

VEGETABLES

Cabbage, red

Carrots

Eggplant

Lettuce, butter

Onions, yellow

Potatoes, yukon gold

Potatoes, red

Tomatoes

Watercress

Zucchini

I loved that service when I lived in London. It was always a great fun coming up with ideas on what do make with the veg.

For watercress, sprinkle it on your salad. Tasty and very healthy.

With your list, I'd make:

Zucchini:

Quote:
Mutabbal Koosa (Syrian zucchini appetizer)

4 tbsp olive oil

1 small head of garlic, peeled and sliced (not a clove, a whole bulb)

1 1/2 lbs zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices

4 tbsp vinegar

salt and pepper to taste

2 tbsp chopped green onions

1/8 tsp cayenne

2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté garlic slices over medium heat until the turn light brown. Remove garlic slices with a slotted spoon and set aside.

In the same oil, adding more if necessary, sauté zucchini slices over medium heat until they turn light brown, turning them over once. Remove and drain on paper towels.

Combine vinegar with remaining ingredients.

Place zucchini on a serving platter. Sprinkle vinegar mixture over top, then evenly top with garlic slices. Allow to stand for 4 hours or so before serving.

With the red cabbage:

Quote:
Red Cabbage Braised with Beer and Mustard

1/2 medium head of red cabbage, outer leaves and core removed (6 cups)

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 onion, cut in half and sliced thin

1 tsp ground caraway seeds

1 12oz bottle of beer

1/2 cup apple juice or apple cider

2 tbsp whole grain mustard

3 tbsp umeboshi vinegar (or 2 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tbsp rice vinegar)

salt and pepper

Slice the cabbage very thin.

Warm the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 7 minutes or until the onions are softened.

Add the caraway and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Add the cabbage, beer and apple juice, cover and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes, covered. Uncover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 more minutes, or until the cabbage is tender and the braising liquid has reduced by half.

Add the mustard, umeboshi vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Serve hot.

For the tomato and eggplant:

Quote:
Eggplant Imam Bayildi

6 to 8 small long eggplants

1/2 cup olive oil

3 onions, sliced thin

7 cloves garlic, minced

2 green peppers, diced

1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced

2 ripe tomatoes

1/4 t cayenne pepper

Salt to taste Extra tomato slices

Lemon slices

1 cup vegetable stock

Wash and dry the eggplants. Cut almost in half lengthwise, being careful not to cut all the way through. Heat half the oil in a skillet and fry the eggplants until the skin is brown, about 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.

Add the rest of the oil to the skillet, and saut頴he onions, garlic and peppers. After 5 minutes, add the parsley, tomatoes, cayenne pepper and salt. Saute another 5 minutes.

Grease a large baking pan. Open the eggplants somewhat flat, and stuff them with the saut饤 vegetable mix. Wedge them into the pan closing them a little. Top with tomato and lemon slices and drizzle any oil in the pan over the top. Pour the veggie stock into the pan around the eggplants, cover and bake in a pre-heated 180C/350F for 1 hour. Cool in the pan.

Serve at room temperature.

For the potatoes:

Quote:
Jhal Alu (Fiery Potatoes)

2 T vegetable oil (mustard oil is preferred)

1/2 t black mustard seeds

1/4 t fenugreek seeds

1 T peeled, minced fresh ginger

1 green chilli, seeded and chopped

1/4 t turmeric

1/2 t salt

A dash of ground red chilli or cayenne pepper (or to taste)

900 g / 2 lb cooked potatoes (about 5 medium) cut into 2.5 cm / 1 inch cubes at room temperature

1/4 cup dried, flaked or shredded sweetened coconut, ground in ablender to a coarse powder or freshly grated or shredded coconut mixed with 1/2 tsp sugar

1 T finely chopped fresh coriander (cliantro)

Heat oil in a skillet over a medium low heat. Add mustard seeds. As soon as the seeds start popping add fenugreek, ginger and chilli and turmeric, stirring often. Keep the skillet partially covered to prevent the mustard seeds from flying out. Add salt, red pepper and potatoes and fry for a minute or so, stirring constantly. Turn heat to low. Add coconut and coriander and mix well. Remove from heat. Serve hot or at room temperature.

#6 Old 03-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Mr. Falafel, thank you for those great recipes and to everyone else for the suggestions!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page