Tofu... (first time) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-22-2003, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, aside from making chili, scrambles and smoothies with tofu, I have not really used the stuff. What's a cool recipe or something that I can try? Maybe fried rice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-22-2003, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't do anything exciting with tofu. I marinate it in soysauce and then cook it in a stirfry or cook it and have it in a pita with lettuce, veggies and hummus. Good, and easy to make!
#3 Old 05-22-2003, 09:11 PM

Keegan,

Here's a recipe I developed for fried rice.

Start a couple hours ahead. I use either water packed or the shelf-stable kind, so far no real difference. Stand the tofu on its side, so that the largest face of it is sideways, facing towards you. Slice it 3 times, in about 1" thick pieces, as evenly as you can. Then put a kitchen towel folded three times on a cutting board. Take the rest of the towel and fold it back over the tofu. Use another cutting board, or other flat surface on top of the tofu, weighted down with a few of your bigger cans from the pantry. Let it drain like this for at least 20 minutes, but as long as you'd like--up to 3 hours.

Toss together in a bowl:

1 tbsp olive oil

3 tbsp soy sauce

1 tbsp vinegar (can be rice, balsamic, white, cider)

1 tbsp sherry or red wine

2 cloves garlic, crushed (if you don't have a mortar and pestle, use the side of your knife, throwing a little salt on the garlic to help crush, and keep it from sliding around the board, mash it up, and slice the knife over it a few times to help break it up)

fresh ground pepper

1 tsp sesame oil

Whisk until combined

Cube the tofu up into bite-sized pieces, and toss into mixture, coating each side evenly. Drain and place on lightly oiled (olive oil spray) pan. Bake at 375 for 25-40 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes or so. The longer you bake it, the chewier it gets. You can actually serve these as little appetizer bits.

But for a stir fry, fry up some cold cooked rice, and veggies (separately), then toss it all together with the cooked tofu. Throw in the rest of the sauce, and cooked til combined. Add more soy sauce and pepper as needed. This is really yummy--I load up the mushrooms and extra garlic

Another way to get some tofu in your diet is to mix it with regular cheese--if you eat it. I made a lasagna for my folks a few months ago and mixed half and half tofu and mozzarella. Noone knew until I told them--absolutely no change in taste.

Also, the above method way of draining tofu is a great start for a tofu "steak". Just add some marinade or glaze and grill it up! Barbequed style is really yummy on a bun. I really enjoy the texture of it this way--just gives you a little more to bite into. Have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-22-2003, 10:06 PM
Veggie Regular

You can make sandwich fillers. Slice your tofu into sandwich size er, slices. Then marinate it in whatever you please for a while (Tomato sauce, soy sauce, curry powder), then stick it in the broiler. I don't know, ten minutes? Heh. I'm hell in the kitchen. "Does it look edible yet? Okay, cool!"
#5 Old 05-22-2003, 10:08 PM
Beginner

Heehee, Keegan's eating tofu!! I love the stuff....heck, I eat it plain.
#6 Old 05-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

If you like dessert you can make pudding - and it's really so easy.

Take a package of firm silken tofu and put it in the food processor (or blender I guess) - add about 2/3 cup sugar or splenda, about 3 or so tablespoons of cocoa powder - 1/2 tsp salt - and a dash of vanilla extract (optional) - then blend/process. Chill it for an hour or so (though you can eat it right away). It's really good. I've also done this without the cocoa substituting things like peanut butter - Jam - ripe banana - and also plain (increased vanilla extract)
#7 Old 05-23-2003, 10:39 AM
Beginner

Hey Keegan,

I love tofu-dipped in tamari and then coated in nutritional yeast and pan fried.

It makes it crispy-that way its great on its own, it can be put into salads, or you could add it to sandwiches.

yummy
#8 Old 05-23-2003, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

mmm.. Tofu fingers.

Here's the recipe:

http://www.peta2.org/stuff/s-recipereal.html
#9 Old 05-23-2003, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I make tomato "cream" soup with silken tofu. 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 package silken tofu--put it in a blender and add water until it's the consistency you like. Season however you like--I usually add garlic and nutritional yeast. Quick, easy, and tofu-licious!
#10 Old 05-23-2003, 12:55 PM
RGR
Beginner

How about vegan cheeze?

This is my absolute favorite...

250gms silken tofu (you can use crumbled firm tofu instead, if you like)

3 level tbsp nutritional yeast flakes

2 T natural peanut butter (can use tahini instead)

1½ T light miso

¾ t salt

¾ LEVEL teaspoon paprika

1 t prepared yellow mustard

1 t onion powder

1 t garlic powder

4 T salsa (I like Master Foods medium salsa)

Process all ingredients in a blender/food processor until very smooth. Chill before serving (CHILLING IT IS IMPORTANT).
#11 Old 05-23-2003, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

yumm! they all sound good. What would be some good ways to make baked/marinated tofu (besides tamari/soysauce) and how long to bake and what temp?

BTW, I like it plain too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page