Spaghetti Sauce/Tomato Help! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-27-2005, 02:55 PM

Hey all,

I am looking for a good spaghetti sauce recipe. I have about 2 full gallon bags in the freezer of Roma tomatos that I need to do something with. Or if anybody has any other suggestions with what to do with them, I'm all ears!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

You could turn them into pizza sauce, then freeze it, if you make your own pizzas.

as for spaghetti sauce, I'm partial to puttanesca.

Heat up some olive oil. Mince a few cloves of garlic and add them to the oil. Add some red chili flakes. Then, add the tomatoes, some capers, and some kalamata olives (sliced or halved - pitted of course)

Let that simmer for about 1/2 hour or until thick, and you have yourself a delish sauce.

The amounts will vary, but we usually do 2 cloves of garlic + 1/4 tsp of chili flakes + 1 tsp of capers + ~8 olives for every 14oz of canned tomato.
#3 Old 02-27-2005, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Add miso to your puttanesca sauce next time, Amy. Trust me, it is OUT OF THIS WORLD! Maybe 2 or 3 teaspoons for a can of tomatoes. Light miso only.

For regular marinara sauce, MCV, it's really simple. Just take several cloves of garlic--I love garlic, so I would do maybe ten or twelve cloves per gallon of tomatoes--, peel, dice, saute in olive oil (a few tablespoons or so.) Add your thawed frozen tomatoes and let it cook for a while. Pour in some wine--not a ton, just until it darkens the sauce a little--and maybe a can of tomato paste if you like. Cook until it's thick and delicious. Add some dried or fresh basil and oregano towards the end of cooking. Easiest thing in the world!

You can mash it with a masher or puree it if you don't like it chunky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I make my own spagetti sauce all the time, it's really simple. (Put I don't measure anything so just add however much you like)

First I would suggest defrosting the tomatoes. Then chop them into small pieces.

Heat up some olive oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic and diced onion. Cook until the garlic browns a little and the onion is translucent. Add the tomatoes and any liquid from them and stir. Add oregano, basil, pepper, and salt. Taste it and add more spices if you need to. Cook until it reaches a good consistency and eat!

^^^very unscientific. Never comes out the same way twice, but it's always good. You can add in and veggies you want. Just make sure you cook them a little before adding in the tomatoes
#5 Old 02-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Can you make a fresh salsa with frozen tomatoes?
#6 Old 02-27-2005, 04:49 PM

What I really think is yummy, is to heat pan with olive oil, garlic and shallots, throw in chopped tomatoes and fresh thyme. I always add a bit of honey to the sauce to cut down on the acid. I like it chunky but you could always puree if you like.

I do have a recipe if you would like the amounts.
#7 Old 02-27-2005, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickpea View Post

What I really think is yummy, is to heat pan with olive oil, garlic and shallots, throw in chopped tomatoes and fresh thyme. I always add a bit of honey to the sauce to cut down on the acid. I like it chunky but you could always puree if you like.

I do have a recipe if you would like the amounts.

Sure, I'd love the recipe!
#8 Old 02-27-2005, 08:16 PM

i like to oven roast my tomatoes before tossing them into a pan for sauce..
#9 Old 02-28-2005, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_City_Veggie View Post

Sure, I'd love the recipe!

here is the tomato sauce recipe

2 tbsp olive oil

1 lrg. minced shallot

2 cloves garlic, chopped

2 lbs plum tomatoes, peeled,seeded and diced

2 tbsp minced fresh thyme

salt and pepper

heat oil over med-high heat. Add shallot and cook until soft. Add the garlic,thyme and cook 30 sec. Add the fresh tomatoes, cook until sauce is thickened, about 5-10 min. Season with salt and pepper, and honey if too acidic.

Puree all or half or leave as is.

If the tomatoes have no flavour, I add a few drops of balsamic vinegar to pull out the flavours.

To seed and skin tomatoes, score the bottom with an x, drop into boiling water for 20-30 sec. The skin will peel right off. Cut in half and squeeze the seeds out.

The roasted tomato idea sounded really good as well, I'm going to try that next time!

I hope you enjoy this recipe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page