flour sifter question - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm trying to get rid of excess/un-useful kitchen items that take up much-needed space. Does anyone think a flour sifter is important to hold onto? Does anyone still use these? Is there another way to do whatever you do with it, without needing a special utensil for it? It's pretty old; don't know why I have it really. But then I always seem to get rid of something, and then discover I "need" it for something.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2005, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I know that sifting your flours together with baking powder, soda, salt, etc. tends to make your baked goods lighter and fluffier. I haven't gotten around to purchasing one though, so I usually just mix my dry ingredients with my hands.
#3 Old 02-26-2005, 04:51 PM
Banned

You can sift flour through a mesh strainer, just put the stuff in and bang the side of it with your hand to force the stuff through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

i bought one recently, but i have only used it once. since then i've just been mixing dry ingredients around with a fork. i think my mom may have had her foods students shake stuff around in a bag instead of sifting, but i may be totally misremembering.
#5 Old 02-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Whereas, I DO use my large 8-Cup sifter, but not that often. You can get by just using a whisk to mix the ingredients and incorporate air into the mix (that is one of the primary reasons for a sifter and another factor to fluffy baked goods.)

Hope that helps!
#6 Old 02-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess there are ways around using it, but I use mine quite often. It is very useful when doing bakery goods. If you still wanted one, maybe you could get a smaller one? There are some nice modern ones out these days
#7 Old 02-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

i have a flour sifter, but i find it easier just to sift through a metal mesh collinder.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 02-26-2005, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a fan of the wire whisk too... just put dry ingredients in a bowl and stir with the wire whisk to mix and "fluff"...
#9 Old 02-26-2005, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I'm a fan of the wire whisk too... just put dry ingredients in a bowl and stir with the wire whisk to mix and "fluff"...

Right. The whisk method is also good for whole wheat or other grain flours, like rye where you don't want to sift out the husks and bran. You could also use a collander that is not of the wire mesh, since that will just act like a sifter anyway. Since you're trying to aerate the flour, running it through the kind of collander that is metal or plastic with little holes in it will work, too
#10 Old 02-26-2005, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Dude, send it to me. I've been missing my mom's old sifter. I've found my vegan baking turns to rocks without sifting.
#11 Old 02-27-2005, 12:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought a sifter was good for sifting out the lumps in flour as well as aerating it.
#12 Old 02-27-2005, 12:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

I thought a sifter was good for sifting out the lumps in flour as well as aerating it.

A whisk or a sifter would take care of the lumps as would a collander. But a sifter's mesh is often too fine for whole grain flours and you end up removing the bran and grains, too. White and other fine milled flours (like semolina) can be sifted without a problem.
#13 Old 02-27-2005, 01:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentauros View Post

A whisk or a sifter would take care of the lumps as would a collander. But a sifter's mesh is often too fine for whole grain flours and you end up removing the bran and grains, too. White and other fine milled flours (like semolina) can be sifted without a problem.

When the sift separates the bran/grains and the flour, it's not so much a problem as long as you mix them in after you have sifted. Often sifting is useful if you work in a commercial kitchen, in case physical objects have fallen into the flour, which rarely happens, but this way they can be found, before they make their way into the food
#14 Old 02-27-2005, 01:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post

When the sift separates the bran/grains and the flour, it's not so much a problem as long as you mix them in after you have sifted. Often sifting is useful if you work in a commercial kitchen, in case physical objects have fallen into the flour, which rarely happens, but this way they can be found, before they make their way into the food

That's true. Something I also thought of after I posted was that you can go ahead and sift and then pick out the grains that don't look so good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page