Trader Joe's - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Beginner

There's one of these stores near me, and one of my health-conscious but still omni friends shops there. I cruised around their website for a minute, but it wasn't terribly helpful.

Is there a TJ in your area? Do you find it useful for more organic veg*n items, or would you forgo it for a HFS or regular grocery? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I prefer to shop at the local HFS. MOM's in College Park is awesome!

But I do go to TJs for some items. They have a lot of specialty items like sauces of various ethnicities that are really yummy. They tend to have pretty good deals on frozen items. I just bought a bag of organic asian mushrooms for $3. Oh, and their coffees are great too.

And yeah, their website sucks so I'd recommend a trip to the store. It's worth checking out.
#3 Old 02-15-2005, 04:25 PM
Beginner

Do you prefer MOM's to WF? I've never been there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

#5 Old 02-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Beginner

I was just doing that.

I will search before I start new threads.

<settles in to write that 97 more times>
#6 Old 02-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Baby Love

There is a Trader Joes right by my place. I was highly disappointed. Its good for things like cheap shampoo, hummus, or luna bars. They do not have a large selection of items and their produce, while mostly organic, is extremely over packaged. I prefer to go to the conventional grocery across the street. Sometimes, I drive to to another part of town to go to Wild Oats or Whole Foods.
#7 Old 02-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

MOMs is cheaper than WF for the most part. Plus I feel better supporting the smaller stores.
#8 Old 02-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Beginner

I think I'll check out TJ the next time I get paid (except I'm going to Vegas so make that the next next time I get paid). Maybe MOM's, too. Huzzah for veg*n shopping!
#9 Old 02-15-2005, 04:38 PM

Traders has nice dumpsters, that i know. And by nice i mean they throw out massive amounts of stock, juices and chips, cookies, clean fresh veggies. Much of their "garbage" is extremely pre-sell by date (ex: terra chips (5 bags) found in feb. dated sell by may of the same year)
#10 Old 02-15-2005, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

TJs has a lot of stuff that I just can't find anywhere. The stuff that I can find in other places, I can get at TJs cheaper. Like any other store, it has vegan and non-vegan items but for the stuff I get, it's very useful to me.

TJs doesn't replace my store, but it does make the lovely compliment to it.
#11 Old 02-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Beginner

I love that they don't have these depressing smut and gossip magazines at the cash registers. Looking at those things at Safeway depresses me.
#12 Old 02-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Beginner

At Giant and some of the other major-chain groceries, they usually have aisles without those types of magazines or the 19383766 different varieties of candy bars. Interestingly, I've never been in a Safeway.
#13 Old 02-15-2005, 05:14 PM

Our TJs is in the same shopping center as Whole Foods, so they have lots of organic stuff cheap. I definitely recommend taking a look.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page