whats your fav QUICK dessert/treat? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-19-2003, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

mine is chocolate spiders (not literally): http://www.vegweb.com/food/sweets/1172.shtml

please list ones that are vegan or can be made vegan oitherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-19-2003, 10:03 AM
Banned

New favorite chocolate flavored tapioca pudding.

Mix 1/3 cup sugar, 3 tsp cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 3 tbs tapioca granules. Recipe calls for 2 cups of soy milk Use just enough soymilk to make a paste. Then add the remainder of the 2 cups. Let sit in pot for 5 minutes, stirring every minute or 2. Add 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.

Then put medium to small flame on under pot and heat and heat to boiling while constantly stirring. After mix starts boiling, continue boiling for 1 minute while constantly stirring. Turn off heat and pour into serving dishes. Makes 4 servings.

Let cool for about 20 minutes, then place in fridge and let cool thoroughly (takes about an hour).

For ideal flavor and texture, refrigerate 12 hours or more before serving. Yes, it is not absolutely smooth like packaged corn-starch pudding. It has a granular texture, which I love.

Yes, something that takes 1.25 hours is quick. The labor-hours though are only about 5 minutes. 1 minute to mix the ingredients in a pot, and 4 minutes to bring them to a boil while stirring, and then pour into serving containers.

I have no idea why this tastes so much better than my hot cocoa recipe, which is the same recipe but without the tapioca (precooked manioc root flour). I suppose something about the seemingly tastless tapioca enhances the way your taste buds and nasal passages process the remaining flavors.
#3 Old 05-19-2003, 05:53 PM

Dessert Nachos

There is no real recipe, but it's delicious!

Take a pile of cookies (I use ginger snaps), plop vanilla soy ice cream on top of it, and any vegan fixings you want! Chocolate chunks/chips, vegan chocolate sauce, random candies. Anything.

Delish and really quick. Take less than 10 minutes to happiness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-19-2003, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh - Fafafrappy - that sounds goooood! We don't have soy ice cream here - I've been thinking about trying to make my own though.

I have two quick dessert snack type things:

1.) Tofu Pudding (pkg silken tofu, cocoa powder, sweetener - blended up and chilled0

2.) NutNuts (walnuts with melted pnut butter and molasses poured on them - stirred up and eaten)
#5 Old 05-19-2003, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

of course my favorite quick treat is chocolate/PB no-bake cookies.

No-Bake Oatmeal-Peanut Butter-Chocolate Cookies

2 cups raw Sugar

1/3 cup CoCoa

1 stick of vegan margarine (1/2 cup)

1/2 cup vanilla rice dream ( i use soymilk)

1 Tablespoon Vanilla and/or maple syrup

3 cups Quick Oats ( i use alittle more then 3 cups)

1/2 cup Peanut Butter crunchy or creamy.

In a 2-3qt. Saucepan, mix up the Sugar, Cocoa, Margarine, and Milk.

Bring it to a boil and once at a boil time it for 3 minutes.

(This is really important. If you don't boil it long enough, the cookies won't harden up and you'll just have mush to long and they will harden to fast in the pan!.)

Watch out so it doesn't boil over.

Turn off the heat, then stir in the Vanilla,(maple syrup) Peanut Butter, and Oatmeal.

Drop by spoonfuls cookie sheet and leave out on the counter for about 15-20 minutes to harden up.

You can put them in the fridge to harden if you don't like to wait.

yum!
#6 Old 05-19-2003, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Promise you won't laugh?

When I want something quick, and sweet, I grab a jar of Tender Harvest baby food by Gerber. The fruits are really good! Especially the 'banana oatmeal peach'. Yum! And the best part - they're organic! I'm pretty sure that they don't contain milk and/or eggs, but don't quote me on that...

http://www.tenderharvest.com/tenderover.asp
#7 Old 05-19-2003, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I always get the cute organic "just for toddlers" cereals and cookies at the HFS. They're so much yummier than adult food!
#8 Old 05-19-2003, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I really like fresh fruits for quick sweet fixes. Strawberries happen to be a favorite, and I just bought 2 lbs of organic strawberries at TJ's! For a more sinful treat, you can't beat strawberries dipped in chocolate. Yum!
#9 Old 05-19-2003, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

These are good. Can be made in a few minutes and if you refrigerate them they set really fast.

Cow Pies

2 cups carob or chocolate chips

2 or 3 tablespoons peanut butter

1 tablespoon oil

½ cup raisins

½ cup favourite nuts

1 cup Rice Krispies

Melt carob chips, peanut butter and oil together in medium size double boiler or bowl over water. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in raisins, nuts, and Rice Krispies. Drop by tablespoons onto waxed paper. Chill until ready to serve. Makes about 2 dozen.
#10 Old 05-20-2003, 12:00 AM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

soursops, mangos or blueberries
#11 Old 05-20-2003, 02:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Ain't nothin' like a good tub of pudding!
#12 Old 05-21-2003, 11:18 AM

Here is a good one for summer. Think I got it from VEGETARIAN TIMES a few years back.

Key Lime Banana Mousse

12-oz package firm silken tofu, patted dry

2 bananas

1/4 cup sugar

3 tbsp key lime juice

pinch of allspice

Combine everything in a food processor or blender and puree till smooth. Spoon into dessert glasses, cover with plastic wrap, and chill at least 2 hours before serving.

I miss key lime pie and so this is a good substitute...
#13 Old 05-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you think regular lime juice, as opposed to key lime, would just make things too funky?

Or maybe lemon juice? Sort of a lemon meringue..?
#14 Old 05-21-2003, 01:27 PM

Sometimes I use regular limes and it is fine. You could try the lemon juice. I can't think why it wouldn't be good. A soy topping is good on it too.
#15 Old 05-21-2003, 02:48 PM

hey! all your recipes sound so good! thanks for all the ideas!

my favorite quick treat is to make sortof a milkshake by blending fat free soy milk, tons of ice cubes, a banana, and a little bit of unsweetened cocoa powder. If you put enough ice it ends up frosty kinda like ice cream, and its low fat, super quick, and cures a chocolate craving!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page