The Tomato - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Its a fruit or vegetable

I consider it a vegetable because it fits in better. I would never put a tomato in my fruit salad or anything. But I would put it in my salad with lettuce and carrots!

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-18-2003, 01:44 PM

A tomato is a fruit, because it is the ovary of the plant. Vegetables on the other hand, are more so stems, leaves, bulbs, and leafs. From my understanding, the part of the plant you eat determines if it was fruit or vegetable. Also, most vegetable contain less fructose than fruits.
#3 Old 05-18-2003, 02:55 PM

The fruit of a plant is the part that houses the seeds. Cucumbers are fruit, as are zuchinni, squashes, eggplant, peppers. Botanically speaking of course-they are the fruit of the plant. Many 'vegetables' are fruits, others are stems (celery comes to mind) seeds, like corn on the cob, and roots like carrots. Then there are the leaves....Science doesn't divide plant foods into groups of 'fruit' or 'vegetable.'

Brandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-18-2003, 05:39 PM
Banned

It's very simple.

Here is a question for you does the numeral "1" mean one, ten, 100, 1000, or what? The answer is it depends on the context. If it is all the way to the right, it means one. If it is in the second place from the right, it means 10.

http://www.materials.addr.com/food.shtml

search for "tomato"

Same with the word "tomato." In the context of plant anatomy, a tomato is an ovary, or "fruit." If something fits the biological definition of a fruit, to accurately describe it, within the context of plant anatomy, you must describe it as being a fruit.

In the context of the produce marketing and commerce, a tomato is a "vegetable" simply because, by tradition, it has been marketed in "vegetable" market stalls rather than "fruit" markets. In this case it's category is ascribed rather than described.

What do you think green beans are, those pods with little immature beans in them? They are no less botanically a fruit than a tomato is. So how come nobody worries which to call green beans? Same with eggplants. Peppers.
#5 Old 05-18-2003, 06:03 PM

I dunno. Yeah, a fruit. But either way fruits and vegetables are gooooood for you. eat em up.
#6 Old 05-18-2003, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

A few decades ago the U.S. Supreme Court actually decided that in the U.S., the tomato is a vegetable. They said that while botaincally it's a fruit, it's used as a vegetable (in savory, salty dishes), and so in the everyday meaning of the word it's a vegetable. The case considered was some import/taxation issue IIRC.

Also, for instance the banana tree is a herb.

A strawberry is not a fruit. Rather, it is all the tiny black spots on the surface, which are the fruitS.

etc. etc.
#7 Old 05-19-2003, 03:44 PM

Oatmeal: Are you serious?
#8 Old 05-19-2003, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Of course!!!

http://www.vegparadise.com/highestperch8.html

Speaking of Apple , the apple belongs to the rose family. Its seeds contain a cyanogen (inactive cyanide) + an enzyme to activate the cyanide. So it only gets activated (=toxic for the consumer) if the seed is damaged of crushed. I assume it's to discourage animals to chew up the seeds (swallowing is OK and desirable). That's why you should core apples before juicing them, and not juice the seeds.

But the most freaky "fruit" is the fig. It's not a fruit but a chamber, with a lot of male and female flowers *inside* the chamber. While the common fig is not fertilized, the flowers of one kind of fig, the Smyrna fig, must be pollinated to fully develop the fruit, and only a certain kind of wasp is able to enter the fig through the small opening at the bottom. In entering the chamber and sucking up some of the pollen (and this on many different trees one after another), it also pollinates the flowers.

I always considered the fig an XXX-rated fruit and one of nature's most intriguing variation on erotica!!!!

#9 Old 05-19-2003, 11:26 PM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

I think soilman gave a really good answer.

I know that some fruitarians actually eat quite a wide range of foods because many things that aren't commonly thought of as being fruits can be considered fruits by the biological definition.

How about any kind of grains or beans, can't they be considered fruits?

One time I referred to a tomato as a vegetable and another person made a big deal about it. He corrected me and told me that tomatoes are fruits. Well, I don't think that I was really wrong because tomatoes are vegetables within the context of produce. On your biology exam you better refer to a tomato as a fruit. But, if you are cooking and chopping: tomatoes, potatoes and carrots to put into a stew you can say you are chopping vegetables.
#10 Old 05-20-2003, 03:30 PM

Ever had ground cherries? They're this little nightshade fruit that tast like a tomato would if it were a "fruit". Kinda a grape/tomato cross flavor. It gave me the creeps.....do I put it in a fruit salad or a green salad? I only grew them one year. Now I'm thinking they would make good chutney/relish.

Brandy
#11 Old 05-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Oatmeal, you truly are a purveyor of strange and wonderful information.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page