Those packaged "fake" fish? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-28-2005, 05:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Has anyone ever seen or tried one of those imitation fish? It's shaped like an entire salmon or something and is pink w/ gray like skin on it? I saw one in the grocery store yesterday and was kind of intrested. I'd like to hear a review of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-28-2005, 05:46 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I've had quite a few different fake fish, but not that one. I'll try anything once, foodwise. Though now, as long as it doesn't have animal products in it. Are you hoping for a fishy taste or not? I had a fake eel once that tasted so real it was disturbing. It was horrible.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#3 Old 01-28-2005, 06:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I've tried fake fish fingers before. They were disgusting, and more fishy that i ever remember real ones being. But i haven't eaten fish in about 2 years so maybe my taste buds have changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-28-2005, 07:05 AM
Beginner

Is this the one http://www.veat.com/products.html Vegetarian Fillet on the bottom.

We like it. I cut it into smaller pieces, bread it and bake it. I think it's so close to fish someone would ask what kind of fish it is.
#5 Old 01-29-2005, 01:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Everyone in my family hates it.
#6 Old 01-29-2005, 01:36 AM
Banned

Do they smell like garbage?
#7 Old 01-29-2005, 06:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I have seen those in the grocery store as well and if it's the kind I'm thinking about they are not vegan so I have not tried them. I did buy some Tuno the other day but it's still sitting in my freezer. Anyone have any experiances with Tuno or some recipies that they would like to share.
#8 Old 01-29-2005, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I bought a fake salmon to cook for the holidays, and never did. It sat in my fridge too long for my comfort, so I tossed it.
#9 Old 01-29-2005, 08:34 AM

Are any of these vegan? I know veat isn't. I may try them if there are any vegan varities available. I never had fish as an omni aside from tuna. I tried Tuno and it sucked just like tuna does.
#10 Old 01-29-2005, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelsRule View Post

I tried Tuno and it sucked just like tuna does.

If you didn't like tuna why would you buy a veggie analog of it?

I've seen a couple of vegan veggie fish things at the Asian market, but I've never been brave enough to try them.
#11 Old 01-29-2005, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Plastic Straw View Post

If you didn't like tuna why would you buy a veggie analog of it?

Because it is vegan and made from yummy soy and TVP. I figured the awesome flavor of soy would overpower anything in it to make it taste like tuna. It's not that it tasted like tuna at all, it was just nasty tasting (but a different nasty than tuna).

I like most meat analogs because they tend to have a wondefully unique flavor which is different than I remember the nasty way that animals tasted. I used to eat animals, but I never liked the taste. I wasn't using my head correctly back then and thought you needed to eat animals to survive (which was the only reason I ate them).
#12 Old 01-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate Tuno. It smells horrible, and the couple of times someone convinced me to take a bite of it, I was most heartily sorry. I thought it tasted exactly like tuna. And yes, I hated tuna as well. I imagine anyone who loved tuna before they went veg would appreciate having a very close substitute.

I'm not interested in trying any fish subs, though I've seen the Veat one in the store. I was never much into fish. Certain shellfish is a different matter. If someone came up with a breaded clam strip sub, I'd try that. I used to love clam strips.
#13 Old 01-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm, I've never seen a fake fish like you've described.

Regarding Tuno- I had it, and it tasted nothing at all like tuna to me. I remember tuna clearly, and I enjoyed it. Tuno tastes and smells like grape nuts microwaved in cow milk. I know this sounds odd, but that's a distinct smell and flavor and I remember it well. I didn't hate tuno, but I didn't like it enough to buy it again.
#14 Old 01-30-2005, 12:00 AM
Veggie Regular

If you used to LOOOOVE tuna, then you probably won't care for Tuno.

If you used to HATE the fishyness of tuna, you'll hate Tuno.

If you sorta liked tuna, you may actually Like Tuno - some people actually LOVE it!

The frozen style Tuno, just thaw, DRAIN and mix with whatever... like however you used to make tuna-fish sandwiches with mayo and pickles and whatever... (It makes great grilled tuna-salad-and cheese sammiches) or tuna casserole.

It's also available canned, which is interesting, I didn't hate it, but it seems to elicit strong opinions one way or the other...

See the thread on here SOMEWHERE (can't find it now) on "Canned Faux Meats".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page