VeggieBoards banner

Packed Lunch Ideas

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Hummusisyummus 
#1 ·
I KNOW there have been threads about this before, but I couldn't find it on this forum. I'm looking to save money and eat more healthily this semester by packing lunches and sometimes dinners to bring to school with me. (I'm in grad school) Last semester it was pretty much nut butter and preserves sandwiches, which gets old really quick. That's what I prefer to eat for breakfast, anyway. I know I should buy a thermos so I can bring soups and chili, etc. Does anyone have any other ideas? I probably won't have a microwave available to me.

#2 ·
Tofurkey sandwiches I don't seem to get tired of. But yeah, nut butter and preserves sadwiches get old FAST.

I'd probably pack a sandwich (chickpea salad, tofurkey, pb&j [if I felt like it], tofu "egg" salad, tuno, VLT, etc.) along with soup in a thermos. Or with some nuts and fruit. Some leftovers are good cold- I never mind eating cold pizza. Try pasta salads, fruits, homemade cookies, hummus w/ veggies and pita... Perhaps making "cheese" dips w/ veggies?

I also like bringing a tub of quinoa or rice pudding along with a sandwich or a bagel w/ tofutti, and some fruits and veggies.

#3 ·
I pack for Jeremy every day. He gets a mix of things. Cold falafel is surprisingly good - he even asks me to fix it for dinner so there will be leftovers for his lunch. Tofu wrapped up in a nice tortilla with veggies and a nice sauce. Leftover pizza. VLT's. Pita chips with hummus or black bean artichoke dip along with some fruit.

#8 ·
i like to byring salads for lunch. I put the dry lettuce (and if other veggies, like grated carrot) in a small container, and make the dressing separately and put it in a very small disposable container, which then goes inside the larger veg. container in case of spills. pack a fork and you're good to go!!

i have salad today..

haha....

#9 ·
I usually have tortilla wraps, which is basically 1 small or medium tortilla w/ usually 2 or 3 slices of Yves turkey and a slice of cheese, all rolled up. Sometimes I add a bit of mustard too, and obviously, you can substitute veg cheese or not include cheese altogether.

Works for me tho - I rarely get sick of it. If I do, I just put hummus and a tomato slice instead of the "turkey" and cheese. Also, I usually bring granola bars and/or fruit also.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

Yep. I do the tofu bacon recipe listed here and serve it on toast with veganaise, lettuce, & tomato. When I pack it for my son, I pack the tomato separately so that it doesn't get mushy.
This is one of my all time favorite lunches to pack. Usually when I know I have a tofu bacon (or Tofurkey if I've splurged on groceries that month) sandwich, I can't even wait until my usual lunch time to break that baby out!

#11 ·
A pack of tortillas, a can of beans, and a little bit of leftover rice and veggies and you're pretty much set for cheap burritos. (Throw in that salsa and guac you love so much).

Hummus, also. No one mentioned hummus yet? Or Baba Ghanouj.

I'm not so much of a sandwich person. I prefer to take some gladware with rice and leftover stew, or spaghetti.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

i don't know if you're a fan or dry soup mixes but you can bring those and just steal some hot water from the cafeteria. i only bring yogurt and trail mixes to school ...
I've yet to find any good dry soup mixes. Some of them are okay, but I've yet to find any that are remotely filling. Do you know of any good ones?

#18 ·
Pita or pocket bread. Sometimes I pack the filling seperate so it doesn't get soggy.

Tortillas wrapped around ANYTHING! (I love cream cheese, chopped nuts and chopped black olives - OH YUM!)

Hummus - as mentioned here already - and if you don't make your own almost EVERY grocery store sells it.

"meatloaf" sandwiches... made with any nut, lentil, burger loaf recipe you like.

Veggie meatball subs. Many brands of already-made veggie meatballs or recipes too...

Vegan cream cheese with anything mixed in - try dried apricots and cranberries! Then take whole grain crackers to spread it on..

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingVeg View Post

If you're Canadian, President's Choice TGTBT has some pretty good soup mixes. I think the black bean is the one I used to buy.

Chef Deb has some dry soup recipes here http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/66909.html -- there are three links a little way down the page.
I tried the PC TGTBT Black Bean Instant Soup today and it was surprisingly good for an instant soup: it was thick, hearty and flavourful.

#21 ·
I totally feel for you. I can spend as much money on lunch at school as I usually do on all my food for the day. Plus most of their veg options consist of crappy overpriced nutritionally devoid iceberg lettuce.

I'm fond of pita with some peanut butter and jelly or hummus action. I also buy fresh whole wheat bagels cut them in half and freeze them individually. Before I go I pop them in the toaster and put some peanut butter and banana slices on them. I've found that toasting bread items keeps it from getting stale, or at least you can't tell the difference. Save the little plastic tubs hummus comes in to put stuff that can make other ingredients mushy while it sits around for lunch time.

Then there's always fresh fruit and ziplock baggie of vegetables option.

If possible you may want to scope out a cheap microwave at a garage sale. That would open up your options alot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.