Soy free vegan ice cream. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-19-2004, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone have a recipe for vegan ice cream that doesn't contain soy?

I've looked and all of the recipes i can find contain tofu.

Or does anyone know if it's possible to improvise and just make it up as i go along, or is ice cream one of those things that needs exactness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never made ice cream... I have no idea. But I do *buy* Rice Dream a lot... which is soy free.
#3 Old 12-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

are you using an ice cream maker?

I have one, and I've found whatever you pour in there, will freeze. My friend and I once made frozen vanilla cokes by just dumping a can of coke into the frozen drum and letting 'er rip. (I have a cuisinart...)

I don't see why you couldn't take rice/almond/oat milk of your choice, add some sugar/flavouring/fruit, and let it go for a spin in an ice cream maker. Worse case scenerio -- you waste a few cups of milk.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-19-2004, 12:49 PM
Beginner

Sorbet is always an option. It doesn't have that "ice cream" texture, but I still love it.

If you're using a machine, I bet you can substitute other milks, like rice milk.
#5 Old 12-19-2004, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

you may be interested in the book Vice Cream. its a vegan ice cream recipe book, and i believe the author uses mainly nuts for his recipes - no, or very little soy. i've heard mixed reviews... but it may be what you're looking for.
#6 Old 12-19-2004, 02:27 PM

Yes you can use alternates. I have seen it in stores, never tried it. Here is a http://www.veganchef.com/ndchoco.htm]recipe.[/url]
#7 Old 12-19-2004, 02:57 PM

Pssst.. That recipe uses soy.
#8 Old 12-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Bryanna Clark Grogan has some vegan ice cream recipes that can be made to be soy free. I'll PM you some if you'd like
#9 Old 12-19-2004, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone. I do usually buy ice cream which does contain soy as unfortunately over here we can't get soy free ready made vegan ice cream and luckily it doesn't make me sick. But for christmas dinner i wanted homemade ice cream to go with another desert I'm making.

I do have access to an ice cream maker but i have no idea how it works so i don't know if i'd feel happy just tipping things in and hoping for the best which is why i was looking for a recipe mainly to give me some guidance. I'm okay substituting milks as I'm used to doing that, it's just the substitution of tofu or egg's I'm having trouble with. But i may give it a try tomorrow and see how it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkmommy View Post

Bryanna Clark Grogan has some vegan ice cream recipes that can be made to be soy free. I'll PM you some if you'd like

If you could that would be really helpful
#10 Old 12-22-2004, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

i found these! may not want them, but they're from the Vice Cream book. soy free.

Vanilla Delight Vice Cream

(Makes about 1 quart)

2 vanilla beans

2 cups raw organic cashews or cashew pieces

2 cups purified water

1 cup maple syrup

1. Cut the vanilla beans into small pieces. Grind to afine powder in a clean coffee grinder.

2. Put all the ingredients into a blender. Combine the ground vanilla, cashews, water and syrup in a blender. Blend on high until silky smooth, for at least 1 minute.

3. Place the blender in the freezer for 40 minutes to 1 hour or in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to overnight, until well chilled. Pour the mix into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Serve immediately or transfer to airtight containers and store it in the freezer until ready to serve.

-------

Chocolate Vice Cream

(Makes about 1 quart)

1 3/4 cups raw organic cashews or cashew pieces

1 cup maple syrup

1 3/4 cups purified water

2 teaspoons natural vanilla flavour

1/4 teaspoon almond flavour

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1. Combine the cashews, water, syrup, vanilla flavour and almond flavour in a blender. Blend on high until silky smooth, at least 1 minute. With the motor running, add the cocoa powder and blend until evenly distributed.

2. Place the blender in the freezer for 40 minutes to 1 hour or in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to overnight, until well chilled. Pour the mix into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Serve immediately or transfer to airtight container and store in the freezer until ready to serve.
#11 Old 12-22-2004, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't ventured into ice cream just yet but I understand that agar agar helps it to be more scoopable and less like a big block of ice, if you like experimenting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page