no more spongey homemade seitan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

after years of trying to figure out what i was doing "wrong" with my homemade seitan, i've done it. i've made my first batch on non-spongey seitan! i knew it had to be possible because i've been eating nice, firmly textured seitan in asian restaurants all along, but i could never get anyone to explain how they did it.

first, i stopped trying to mix and knead the vital gluten flour etc. with liquids by hand. i put it all into my electric breadmaker and let it do the work on the "dough" setting. i actually put it through the dough setting twice. i think the double kneadings and long resting times really helped. then, i did NOT cut the resultant lump into "steaks" or "cutlets" before simmering it. instead i wrapped the whole big blob up very tightly into a big swatch of cheesecloth and tied it up firmly with kitchen twine. i cooked it in a huge pot filled with veggie stock and spices overnight over low heat, just enough to maintain a very slow boil. when i took it out and cooled it slightly and then cut off a little slice to try, i was incredibly impressed with the texture. so excited i made everyone in my house try a piece even though it was only seven-thirty in the morning.

i am going to try doing all sorts of interesting things to this new technique, like adding ground nuts or cooked lentils into the bread machine to be kneaded into the gluten, different spices and maybe things like sundried tomatoes or olives. i'll try slices up the resultant "roasts" and pan-frying them, or breading them and baking them, or just serving thin slices on bread as sandwich fillings. i can now safely say that everyone in my home thinks i am truly the seitan goddess. hooray for kitchen witchery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

That's awesome! I need to get a new paddle for my bread machine ( mine's permanetly stuck iin the basket ) and then I want to try making the gluten that way too!
#3 Old 12-02-2004, 12:56 PM

I don't know if I've ever had seitan. Maybe I did and didn't know it? Does it go by another name by chance?

Sounds awesome Kreeli!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

only names I know are gluten or seitan ("saytan")

My mother makes a very good pot roast using a similar technique.
#5 Old 12-02-2004, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm gonna try it! w00t!

Thanks Kreelieelieeli!!!
#6 Old 12-02-2004, 01:47 PM
Beginner

Vegan cookbook author Bryanna Clark Grogan has an entire file of seitan recipes using the bread machine/slow cook technique. It's been around for a while.
#7 Old 12-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

What if you don't have a bread machine? Is a "husband" also called a "dough setting"? He's a bit more muscular than I am.

I want to try to make this stuff, it seems so versitile.
#8 Old 12-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

For what it is worth, I had a discussion with my vegan chef friend G. about seitan. When I asked her about it, she looked at me as if to say, "What? Are you crazy?" In her experience, it is very difficult to make and very time consuming. She told me that another mutual friend, a macrobiotic cook, used to make it. She is throwing a Christmas party on the 18th, and I'll talk with her more then.

Bottom line: If you've figured out how to make this well, you are way of most vegan chefs, as far as I can tell.
#9 Old 12-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

What if you don't have a bread machine? Is a "husband" also called a "dough setting"?

#10 Old 12-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have a bread machine. But, I knead the hell out of it. I really havent had much trouble with spongeyness. I have wrapped it in cheesecloth when I have it on hand, but not always.
#11 Old 12-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

so excited i made everyone in my house try a piece even though it was only seven-thirty in the morning.

I <3 Kreeli
#12 Old 12-02-2004, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

That's awesome, Kreeli. We don't have a kitchenaid or a bread machine, but I'm sure we can come up with something... if anything, it'd be a good upperbody workout The cheesecloth thing is a great idea. Did you simmer it in a crockpot/slow cooker, or just on the stove in a huge pot?
#13 Old 12-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I wanna try!
#14 Old 12-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgnwitch View Post

Vegan cookbook author Bryanna Clark Grogan has an entire file of seitan recipes using the bread machine/slow cook technique. It's been around for a while.

i love bryanna and i'm pretty sure that anything i've come up with in the kitchen was done by her 15 years ago. that doesn't mean i can't be excited when i "discover" something new (to me), and share it here. i've been using my bread machine dough setting for about a year, but only running it once; AND i've been "slow cooking" the cutlets (for 2 - 4 hours) since i first started making seitan, but the whole "wrapping it up in one blob and simmering it overnight" thing was new to me.

i really don't know if anyone can knead the gluten lump as strongly or for as long as my bread machine does, but if you want to go for it, more power to ya!
#15 Old 12-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

OT: i sure would like to know why, every time i post here lately, i get at least one person pulling a "snark" on me. it's why i haven't been around here much in the last while, and why i'm considering not hanging out here anymore. it's just so boring and tired.
#16 Old 12-02-2004, 05:43 PM

Dumb question. What does it taste like? Where can I get it already made? I've always wanted to try it.
#17 Old 12-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

i am very excited about your discovery and cant wait to try it. i am pouting tho as last week my bread machine broke!!! thanks for sharing!
#18 Old 12-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

OT: i sure would like to know why, every time i post here lately, i get at least one person pulling a "snark" on me. it's why i haven't been around here much in the last while, and why i'm considering not hanging out here anymore. it's just so boring and tired.

Actually I almost snarked right back at *that* person. I don't get that either. I'm trying to be nicer, but people need to stop pissing me off.
#19 Old 12-02-2004, 05:54 PM

I dunno Kreeli. I wouldn't put too much energy into it from this thread. She's joined a year ago and has only 26 posts, so maybe she wasn't trying to be snarky? But yeah, I see snarky here more than I used to. :shrug: I just ignore it basically.

Don't go. The unsnarky folks like you and want you to stay.

ETA: Oh, I'm still curious. What's it taste like? What do you eat it with? Where can I get some already made? Help...
#20 Old 12-02-2004, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Kreeli! I love you! I have tried several times to make it and I just gave up. I will try again after the holidays.

sunny
#21 Old 12-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd probably use a bread machine if I had one or the money to buy one. However, I just bought plane tickets for 4 people over christmas So, my arms will have to wait to be rescued. I'd really prefer a KitchenAid mixer though, those are the bomb (my mom has one "jealous*)

oh, and a side note: I am not being snarky, nor am I being snarky by saying that I am not being snarky.
#22 Old 12-02-2004, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

SDG is snarky... nanny nanny boo boo....

Sorry. I need caffeine AND chocolate right now.
#23 Old 12-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

i'd kill for a kitchenaid. they really are the best. my breadmaker was a gift. i am a very fortunate girl.

i'm trying to not take things too personally. i think i'm just a little hormonal, so i'm probably hypersensitive. ignore me.
#24 Old 12-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

It's probably all the hidden animal products in your diet...

(You know I'm teasing right? )
#25 Old 12-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Kreeli, you'd better not leave!
#26 Old 12-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissancesun View Post

Kreeli! I love you!

sunny

Me, too.

Please don't leave us.
#27 Old 12-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Heart Beet

ok...

1) Kreeli, you rock and we love you, and you already know i worship at the alter of your kitchen goddess-ness so you cannot leave.

and

2) Yay!!! Someone figured it out!!! I *think* i am getting a Kitchenaid for Christmas so if i do... Yay again!!!

Ruthie: many brands of commercial seitan are out there; all the "un" meats (unTurkey, Unsteak, Un-whtever) are wheat gluten. whitewave makes seitan in the same kind of pack as Chinese tofu and there are also others i can't think of right now. oh, and whole foods carries a seitan stuffed roast that is to die for but i can't remember what brand it is. and it's expensive...
#28 Old 12-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I am hormonal too...like major hormonal. It is weird how once a month I turn into this creature that sits in the corner and snarls at anyone that tries to steal my chocolate!
#29 Old 12-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Me too. I am especially evil today and everyone here at home is driving me crazy!
#30 Old 12-02-2004, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystmDwnGrl2 View Post

I am hormonal too...like major hormonal. It is weird how once a month I turn into this creature that sits in the corner and snarls at anyone that tries to steal my chocolate!

*gasp* You're a girl!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page