meat free=vegetarian? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-16-2004, 11:16 AM

just looked on the quorn website, and reandomly checked out the cottage pie, it said meat free, but not suitable for vegetarians. does that mean it contains animal fat or something?

i always thought quorn was vegetarian.

sketchy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-16-2004, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spun View Post

does that mean it contains animal fat or something?

yes, of course they don't want to go into details because when you tell someone it comes from an animal, it's not meat and it's not eggs or milk either they tend to go

probably gelatin, but i don't know exactly what product you're referring to

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#3 Old 11-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Do they have the ingredients listed? If you can post them someone here can look them over and let you know.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-16-2004, 03:57 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

It usually has eggs in Quorn. As far as I know it's veggie...

Kat

ETA just checked site. Yes it's all veggie.. look
#5 Old 11-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spun View Post

just looked on the quorn website, and reandomly checked out the cottage pie, it said meat free, but not suitable for vegetarians. does that mean it contains animal fat or something?

i always thought quorn was vegetarian.

sketchy.

If it says meat free, but not suitable for vegetarians, then that means it's got something that a vegetarian would not want to eat. It shouldn't matter what the offending ingredient is, if they say it's not suitable then it's not suitable. Take their word on this.

The site has a vegetarian society award listed on it but again, if the product says that it's not suitable for vegetarians, I would believe them and simply not purchase the product at all.

I also wonder about a product line that can't even supply an ingredient list online. That says "dodgy" to me right there.

eta: the US site lists ingredients, the UK site does not.
#6 Old 11-16-2004, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeYahMK View Post

If it says meat free, but not suitable for vegetarians, then that means it's got something that a vegetarian would not want to eat. It shouldn't matter what the offending ingredient is, if they say it's not suitable then it's not suitable. Take their word on this.

The site has a vegetarian society award listed on it but again, if the product says that it's not suitable for vegetarians, I would believe them and simply not purchase the product at all..

i thought spun meant that it does not say "suitable for vegetarians" rather than that it says "not suitable for vegetarians." now i'm confused.
#7 Old 11-16-2004, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeYahMK View Post

If it says meat free, but not suitable for vegetarians, then that means it's got something that a vegetarian would not want to eat.

Not necessarily. The BK Veggie is vegetarian (and I believe vegan without mayo) but it says it's not suitable for vegetarians. I think we've decided it's to avoid being sued.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 11-17-2004, 04:23 AM
Veggie Regular

In the UK it's definitely veggie, however some of the quorn products still haven't received the coveted Vegetarian Society approval logo since the eggs in SOME of the products are not free range. Otherwise, they're fine for vegetarians.
#9 Old 11-17-2004, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynaffit View Post

i thought spun meant that it does not say "suitable for vegetarians" rather than that it says "not suitable for vegetarians." now i'm confused.

Oh I think you're right. I was thinking spun meant is specifically said "not suitable for vegetarians", which was odd since they claim all of their products are suitable for vegetarians.

But I found a picture of it on their website: http://www.quorn.co.uk/products/viewDetails.php?id=29

and it looks suitable for vegetarians even though it doesn't specifically say those words on the box.
#10 Old 11-17-2004, 04:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Mmmm. I had the cottage pie for tea the other night, scrummy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page