help me plan my menu.. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-04-2003, 12:41 PM

Please help me plan my menu for this week! I'm open to any suggestions. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-04-2003, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow.. a menu for the entire week? Quite an endeavour..

Well, how about this. For breakfast, pick up some dried fruit, fortified flake cereal (bran, corn, wheaties), and assorted nuts and granola. Mix and match, experiment!

For lunch, grab a bag of whole wheat pita bread. Pita bread is good, because you can toss any insane thing in it. Classic peanut butter and fruit, or hummus and veggies.. Or random beans, spreads, etc. Or even last night's dinner.

So, for dinner. Okay, make up a really rockin pasta sauce (use tomato sauce/paste and loads of veggies). Serve it over spaghetti one night, then polenta the next. (Look like a whole new meal!) Heh. I'm used to meal planning on a budget, so.. My suggestions are going to be based around Thrift.

Beans are good. A can of Busch's Vegetarian baked beans can go a long way. I like them with a baked potato and some spinach or a nice salad. The next day for lunch, shove the leftovers in a pita bread! (My mother looks at me cross-eyed when I do this, but I swear it's good.. very sweet and warm.)

Chili's good too. Serve with instant rice one night, a potato the next, maybe polenta...

Curried chickpeas. Quick and easy. Dump a can of chickpeas in a saucepan with tomato paste, random veggies (I especially like frozen spinach here), onions, garlic, whatever, and curry powder. Good with couscous or rice, and again.. Inside the pita the next day!
#3 Old 05-04-2003, 03:10 PM

French Toast Royale

1 cup soymilk

2 tablespoons flour

1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes

1 teaspoon sugar or sweetener of your choice

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon salt

pinch of nutmeg

6 slices whole wheat bread

Blend or whisk together all the ingredients (except the bread slices) in a shallow bowl.

Dip the bread slices into this mixture, and cook, either on a nonstick griddle until browned on both sides, or on a greased cookie sheet in a 400F oven until golden on both sides, turning once. For an interesting change of pace, bake the French toast in a nonstick waffle iron until golden brown.

Serve with maple syrup or your favorite topping.

Banana French Toast: Omit 1/2 cup soymilk and the flour, and blend the remaining ingredients with 1 ripe banana.

--from "Cooking with PeTA"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-04-2003, 04:59 PM

Thank's alot. I try to plan my meals in advance, mostly because I'm breastfeeding and have a 3yr old. Also for budgeting purposes. I have a pet peeve about being wasteful ( ya know all the starving people in the world!) so I carefully plan things. one more Q? What's the best type of milk replacement or what's your fav brand (or home-made)?---Superspev
#5 Old 05-04-2003, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I prefer Soy Dream in the original flavor. However, most people tell me they hate Soy Dream.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page