Seeking tested cookie-cutter cookie recipe - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-25-2004, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm seeking a tried-and-true vegan cookie recipe. I need it to be for the kind of cookie dough you roll out and cut with cookie cutters. A vegan icing recipe would be stellar too -- the kind that goes hard, that you decorate cookies with.

Does anyone have a recipe to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-25-2004, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I just made a ton of these, but they weren't vegan (I used eggs, since I needed to mass manufacture them for a bunch of people fror halloween, and I didn't want to screw them up while I tweak my vegan baking skills). If you'd still like that recipe, I can type it out for you.. but off hand... my icing is vegan, and dries really hard and the colors stay bright and shiney.

The original recipe is mix 2 tsp milk (i used silk until i ran out, then used rice dream) with 1 cup powdered sugar, then add 2 tsp light corn syrup, and 1/2 tsp flavouring (i.e. vanilla extract, almond extract, lemon extract). 2 tsp milk will never mix into 1 cup powdered sugar, so really, just equal parts of corn syrup and milk to powdered sugar to get it the desired consistency, just make sure the flavouring goes in the liquid so its equally distributed, and then color as desired. I decorated 150 cookies with this yesterday. It works. Just stir and stir and stir until smooth.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 10-25-2004, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you have The Joy of Cooking? I just make their "Rich Roll-out Cookie" dough with Earth Balance and egg replacer. Comes out perfect every time.

I have never used anything but powdered sugar and water for icing all my life for these cookies. (And food coloring.) Just mix powdered sugar and water until it's thick but will still drizzle, and voila! Delicious, perfect icing. It's that easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-25-2004, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

there is a recipe in the garden of vegan, i just used today, that works great, for roll out sugar cookies. lemme know if you want it.. if you don't have the book.
#5 Old 10-25-2004, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a good recipe that we use at school..I'll post the recipe tomorrow. Cooooookieesssss

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 10-26-2004, 07:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone!
#7 Old 10-26-2004, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I will have to do test batches...

Cooookies.
#8 Old 10-31-2004, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions, peeps. I ended up using a recipe from my 1938 copy of The American Woman's Cookbook, after I couldn't find my Joy of Cooking. I veganized it, and it ended up working great. I used a mini skull cookie cutter, iced them when they were finished, and gave them chocolate chip eyes and almond sliver teeth.

------------------------------------

Cookie Cutter Sugar Cookies

2 1/4 cups sifted flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 cup margarine

1 cup sugar

2 eggs' worth of egg replacer (I used Ener-G)

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 tablespoon milk (I used Silk creamer)

Sift flour, salt and baking powder together. Cream margarine and sugar together, add egg replacer and vanilla, then add sifted ingredients and milk. Roll and cut. Sprinkle with sugar and bake on baking sheet in moderate oven (375 F) 12 minutes. Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

------------------------------------

Since mine were minis I ended up with a lot more than 2 and a half dozen, and since I was icing them I didn't sprinkle them with sugar before I baked them. My icing was just powdered sugar, water, and vanilla; I just kept adding sugar till it got to a spreadable consistency.

I got lots of compliments on them, so thanks again!
LL
LL
#9 Old 11-01-2004, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

They are SO cute! I want one.
#10 Old 11-04-2004, 06:50 AM

Thanks for this recipe. Your cookies look awesome!
#11 Old 11-04-2004, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

they are soo cute, in a scary kinda way
#12 Old 11-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

btw who ate the 3-eyed monster ?
#13 Old 11-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

This recipe is good! I just made it, except I added 1 teaspoon of water cuz it was WAAAY to crumbly. But, nummy, are these cookies tasty!
#14 Old 11-04-2004, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

i made some last night with lemon extract. they came out really well!
#15 Old 11-05-2004, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm making more! This has to be the best cookie recipe I've ever come across...simple too! Mmm...
#16 Old 11-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

btw who ate the 3-eyed monster ?

That was funny, actually. Several people noticed it but didn't want to eat it. Then one of my co-workers, a guy who appreciates the bizarre and wonderful, saw it and that was the cookie he had to have.

I'm glad people like the recipe! Using lemon extract instead of vanilla was actually a variation in the cookbook. Next time I make them, that's what I'm going to use (so I can share them with my 8-year-old friend who is sensitive to corn products -- my vanilla has corn syrup in it, but I found lemon extract that doesn't.)
#17 Old 11-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post

Using lemon extract instead of vanilla was actually a variation in the cookbook.

oh, i used both . next time i might try orange extract.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page