Burger King’s Vegan Patty Is So Realistic It Fooled a Meat Lobbyist - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 1 Post By blue_green_gold
  • 1 Post By Calhoun07
  • 2 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Jamie in Chile
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Jamie in Chile
  • 2 Post By Citrus333

#1 Old 04-27-2019, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Burger King’s Vegan Patty Is So Realistic It Fooled a Meat Lobbyist

Quote:
Burger King’s vegan Whopper is so realistic, it won over a meat lobbyist.

The fast-food restaurant chain added a vegan Whopper to its menu at the start of this month. The burger was created in collaboration with startup company Impossible Foods, which makes its Impossible Burger out of wheat and potato protein, coconut oil, heme, and some binders. The end result is a plant-based patty that matches beef in terms of appearance and taste, contains 21 grams of protein, no cholesterol, and is vastly better for the environment.

The vegan meat has proved popular at Burger King so far, with those who have tried it saying, “It’s just like a Whopper.”
Read the rest here: https://www.livekindly.co/burger-kin...hSvWeGowhhY0cE

Has anyone tried this? I haven't had a Whopper in almost twenty years!
David3 likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2019, 11:09 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

The lobbyist is quoted as saying: “This is not just another disgusting tofu burger that only a dedicated hippie could convince himself to eat. It’s 95 percent of the way there, and the recipe is likely to only get better.”...

I've always preferred burgers to hot dogs, and I've never been disappointed by the vegetarian burgers out there, although none of them are the way I remember a juicy burger being. BK's veggie burger is quite good, although since it's not vegan, I try to find other options. I've been looking around for the Impossible Burger but haven't seen it in my area yet.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#3 Old 04-27-2019, 07:13 PM

I haven't had a Whopper in 45 years. I don't want anything that tastes like meat. Give me a veggie burger that tastes like veggies! But credit to Burger King for doing this and I hope it is a success.
David3 likes this.

#4 Old 04-29-2019, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been trying to find information on how they prepare this in the restaurant.

I know with the Morningstar Patty they cooked those separate from meat burgers.

Are they doing anything in prep to avoid cross contamination? If they do make them with the meat burgers, how much cross contamination is there?
blue_green_gold likes this.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#5 Old 04-29-2019, 10:53 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Justice Vegan View Post
The Impossible Burger is not vegan, since it was tested on animals. It is completely unethical, because laboratory rodents were murdered for it. One might argue that it's not even vegetarian, either.

The Impossible brand is no friend of the animals.

Please consider this:

Impossible Burgers has sold 13 million Impossible Burgers - equivalent to the meat obtained from 6,500 cows! Yes, their product testing took the lives of (several dozen?) lab animals - nobody here likes that. However, overall, it is a huge win for the animals.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/christi.../#6967ec4698ba

The majority of Impossible Burger customers are omnivores, not vegetarians/vegans. Omnivores are willing to substitute some of their meat burgers with the simulated meat-blood-and-grease experience of the Impossible Burger. They are less likely to go for the bean, corn, and tofu burgers that we vegans enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blue_green_gold and Mr. H. like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 04-29-2019 at 12:01 PM.
#6 Old 04-29-2019, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Great point, David3!

And by SJV's logic, eating vegetables isn't vegan, and one might argue not even vegetarian, either. Consider all the animals slaughtered in combine accidents over the years. By that logic, nothing is truly vegan or vegetarian. Raccoons, foxes, badgers, deer, coyotes, rabbits, and more have been slaughtered by farm equipment and mostly by accident.

And not to mention hay. Mice and rats are killed almost any time anyone unloads a silo. Wild pigs, cats, dogs and cows have all been hit by combines.

Want a fun afternoon? Talk to a farmer about how horrible it is to have to stop to clean out the animal remains. And why they keep guns on them. Partly to scare the animals, sometimes to kill them before they enter the combine, but the big reason is because they don't want to crush another dogs skull with their boots because he was loose and hiding in a corn field and was torn in half, and crying.

But, right. Let's be angry about Impossible Burger and a few animal tests.

Show me the perfect idyllic world where no animals are ever harmed in harvesting and the production of our food and I will show you the home of Santa Claus.

But thank you for not answering my question (SJV) and reminding me why I stayed away from this board for years. It's people like that one that really give vegans a bad name.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#7 Old 04-30-2019, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Just purely as a suggestion (and I am NOT a moderator here) I suggest that any further argument from you two won't be productive (at least for the time being) and it might be best to agree to disagree by not replying.

As I say purely a suggestion! Feel free to disagree! Peace everyone!
#8 Old 04-30-2019, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun07 View Post
Great point, David3!

Want a fun afternoon? Talk to a farmer about how horrible it is to have to stop to clean out the animal remains. And why they keep guns on them. Partly to scare the animals, sometimes to kill them before they enter the combine, but the big reason is because they don't want to crush another dogs skull with their boots because he was loose and hiding in a corn field and was torn in half, and crying.

Interesting. I saw the results of a couple of studies where they tagged the animals in a field electronically, ran harvesters through it, and found that nearly all of them got away fine.

Which, by the way, is not in contradiction of your post or trying to argue with you. This may be quite consistent with what you said or you may know more about it than me.

I assume you spoke to a farmer once (or more). Did you get any sense as to how common this is, like a few isolated incidents over a number of years, or more like a weekly occurrence?

In any case, even if he didn't say it's still an interesting story. Thanks for sharing.
Tom likes this.
#9 Old 04-30-2019, 04:42 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Whoa- I wouldn't have even thought about testing the Impossible Burger on animals. As I understand, it's not made with any new or unusual ingredients; it's made with ingredients already tested before, or else are "Generally Recognized As Safe". I don't know for a fact that no animals were used in tests or otherwise intentionally harmed in developing the Impossible Burger, but I was worrying more about my supporting a corporation that is mostly anything-but-vegan, or my sometimes falling off the wagon and consuming foods which contain small amounts non-vegan ingredients (the main reason I still don't call myself vegan, although I'm always working on it and most people I know consider me to be one). Also, considering @Calhoun07 's post above, I avoid wasting food.

I'll probably eat the Impossible Burger, at least sometimes, if I can find it.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 04-30-2019 at 04:52 PM.
#10 Old 05-01-2019, 06:56 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Whoa- I wouldn't have even thought about testing the Impossible Burger on animals. As I understand, it's not made with any new or unusual ingredients; it's made with ingredients already tested before, or else are "Generally Recognized As Safe". I don't know for a fact that no animals were used in tests or otherwise intentionally harmed in developing the Impossible Burger, but I was worrying more about my supporting a corporation that is mostly anything-but-vegan, or my sometimes falling off the wagon and consuming foods which contain small amounts non-vegan ingredients (the main reason I still don't call myself vegan, although I'm always working on it and most people I know consider me to be one). Also, considering @Calhoun07 's post above, I avoid wasting food.

I'll probably eat the Impossible Burger, at least sometimes, if I can find it.

Impossible Burgers has released a statement regarding this: https://vegnews.com/2017/8/impossibl...animal-testing
Tom likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#11 Old 05-01-2019, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I don't know for a fact that no animals were used in tests or otherwise intentionally harmed in developing the Impossible Burger.
The rats were definitely used in testing, there is no dispute there.

Some of this, in my opinion, come down to another instance of a utilitarian vs deontological debate that I see again and again within the vegan community. As many of you know, utilitarianism is focused on the greater good and deontology more on whether each individual action in isolation can be justifiable.

The utilitarians believe that some bad is justified for the greater good, and the improved odds of having the product accepted with rat testing included would lead to overall reduced harm. While the deontological argument is that testing on animals is just a wrong action regardless of consequences. It seems to me that both arguments have some validity and we need to be tolerant of each other, and understand that we have different philosophies. I wonder if sometimes it may be an inefficient use of time trying to argue back and forth with facts and opinions and even insults in some cases if the difference of opinion comes down a subjective difference in our core underlying philosophy rather than a lack of ethics or knowledge.

However the utilitarian defence is only a defence of the tests, not of the allegation that they appear to have killed the rats after the end of the tests. At least that is what their critics allege, and they are not denying it it seems, and I assume that this is true. I tried to find out for sure once in a quick google search but couldn't do so in a few minutes.

Now, why did they kill the rats? They could have even kept them as pets somehow, kept them in good condition until the end of their lives, given them a good life, and made videos showing them to be still healthy after the tests - which I think they were.

Or they could have released them into a forest many miles from any human residence or facilities (having checked with a local wildlife expert that they would not be disruptive to the ecosystem, or having painlessly neutered them somehow so that they couldn't breed). Again they could have made videos showing them running away to freedom into the forest.

They could have then held back these videos in anticipation of later criticism and released them as great PR in response. In the case of keeping them as pets, they could have sent out tweets to critical vegans inviting them to come and visit the healthy and happy rats. Virtually everyone would have been on their side in such a case.

Either idea would have been more moral and not very expensive in the context of the massive investment of the company.

And yet the fact remains that by replacing cow meat with these burgers they have

a) reduced animal suffering (not to mention global warming and other ecological issues) by far, far more than they caused
and
b) done more good in the world than most people, including probably most of us ever will.

I mean my "activism" is posting something on facebook that no-one cares about much, writing a blog that almost no-one reads, and trying to convince my brother or cousin to eat less meat. These people are truly changing the world. Good luck to them.
Tom likes this.
#12 Old 05-02-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
It's people like you who allow the rape, slavery, and murder of innocents to continue. KYS.
That last comment is vile. I'm surprised the mods would allow "KYS" to stand. I hope your parents lock the basement door so you can't escape.
Tom and Dunestrider like this.
#13 Old 05-02-2019, 04:08 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the info, @Jaime in Chile and @David3 . I understand now that the test was done because of "soy leghemoglobin", a relatively new ingredient which is largely responsible for the authentically-meaty taste of this burger. Now I'm not sure I will buy the Impossible Burger. I would have been okay with it if they had kept the rats as pets after the experiment was over, but I suppose they wanted to find out RIGHT AWAY if there had been any adverse effects on rats.

And I still don't understand some people's problems with veg*n meat substitutes, unless of course they have a physical intolerance for some of the ingredients, such as soy.

Last edited by Tom; 05-02-2019 at 04:13 PM.
#14 Old 05-03-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
You(and all non-vegans like you) belong in prison for your crimes against animals. It's you who needs to be locked up so you are prevented from harming animals any further.
Sometimes LOL is literal, as it is now for me. I know who you are. You're the little guy with the anger issues who pops up here and there to show everyone how stunningly foul and repulsive you can be.

Btw, I've been vegan for longer than you've probably been alive. But that has no bearing on your "KYS" comment, nor does your response to me.

Now go clean up your room.
#15 Old 05-03-2019, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried the Impossible Burger at Los Angeles airport (LAX) last year. I personally thought it didn't taste as good, or anywhere near as close to the taste of meat, as the Beyond Burger. However looking at reviews online others don't seem to agree, so maybe it wasn't cooked perfect or something.

As a general rule, I don't like vegan burgers that taste like meat. But when I tried the Beyond Burger, it was so good I actually doubted that for a bit.

I think I am more OK eating the vegan burgers that taste like meat only when I have bought it and cooked it for myself. When someone else gives me one of those I have these tiny little doubts that they might have mixed it up with another product, and a part of me wants to go and look at the packet for myself before eating it. So in these cases I actually prefer it when I see there are some green bits sticking out of it and find it tastes wierd. Then, there's no doubt.

When I ordered the Impossible Burger, they said something like "are you sure? there's no meat in it?". I am waiting for the day when that is reversed. When the vegan gets the product without question while the meat eater gets asked "are you sure? there's meat in it".
#16 Old 05-03-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
I tried the Impossible Burger at Los Angeles airport (LAX) last year. I personally thought it didn't taste as good, or anywhere near as close to the taste of meat, as the Beyond Burger.
I don't like either one. But as you said, a lot of reviews seem to state otherwise (about both, come to think of it). I'm glad, though, that so many people do like them because it's a good sign about the future.
#17 Old 05-03-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
You are NOT vegan(and arguably not even vegetarian), since you feed murdered animals to your companion animals.
Ohhh, that's right. You're the arbiter of what is and is not vegan. Dang, I'd forgotten. I'm so glad you've popped in again to educate us all. I'm sure we're all waiting with bated breath for your next pronouncement from on high. Did you leave willingly last time or were you sent away by the mods? (Just curious.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page