Eat without dairy products? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By Tom
  • 2 Post By David3

#1 Old 02-21-2019, 06:46 AM

Eat without dairy products?

How do people make up for the lose in not eating dairy products like milk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-21-2019, 11:07 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsbeat3 View Post
How do people make up for the lose in not eating dairy products like milk?
Hi newsbeat3, and welcome to the forum!

The (vegan) Vegetarian Resource Group has an excellent article about calcium in the vegan diet. It's written by Reed Mangels, a Registered Dietitian: https://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.php

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 02-21-2019, 05:07 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Lots of my favorite vegetables (the dark green, leafy kind) are good sources of calcium. I recently found out that some beans, such as soy beans and white beans, are significant sources.

Milk also provides other things, such as vitamin D, riboflavin(?), and B-12. Some vegan foods are supplemented with these; it will say so on the label. B-12 is the only vitamin I take regularly, but a few years ago, my check-up revealed a vitamin D deficiency for which I was given a prescription-strength supplement. I thought I was getting enough D from being outdoors, but this was right at the end of winter when my stores of D would have been at their lowest. Too much of some forms of vitamin D can make you sick... I think D-3 can make you sick if you take too much of it, but not D-2. You'd better check around for yourself.
David3 and Mr. H. like this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-21-2019, 05:54 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Lots of my favorite vegetables (the dark green, leafy kind) are good sources of calcium. I recently found out that some beans, such as soy beans and white beans, are significant sources.

Milk also provides other things, such as vitamin D, riboflavin(?), and B-12. Some vegan foods are supplemented with these; it will say so on the label. B-12 is the only vitamin I take regularly, but a few years ago, my check-up revealed a vitamin D deficiency for which I was given a prescription-strength supplement. I thought I was getting enough D from being outdoors, but this was right at the end of winter when my stores of D would have been at their lowest. Too much of some forms of vitamin D can make you sick... I think D-3 can make you sick if you take too much of it, but not D-2. You'd better check around for yourself.

Agreed 100%. Also, many plant milks (like soy milk) are fortified with vitamin D, vitamin B12, and calcium. Just check the label.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
#5 Old 07-26-2019, 01:08 AM

When you are avoiding dairy products, you need to put lots of vegan items on your plate. We vegans avoid all animal products, including meat, poultry, eggs, fish, and dairy in our diet
Vegetarians should be cautious about replacing certain supplements that are mostly or only found in animal products.

The regular prescribed Vitamin B12 intake is 2.4 mcg for adults, 2.6 mcg for pregnant lady and 2.8 mcg for a mother while breastfeeding.

The only way to fulfill this requirement is by consuming B12-fortified foods or taking a vitamin B12 supplement. A simple way to intake the vitamin B12 is in vaporized form. Vegan people can use vitamin B12 vape pen. The food for vitamin B12 sources is plant milk, soy items, breakfast grains, and dietary yeast.
#6 Old 07-26-2019, 01:22 AM

Thank you for the information.
#7 Old 07-26-2019, 09:19 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhalecalm View Post

The regular prescribed Vitamin B12 intake is 2.4 mcg for adults, 2.6 mcg for pregnant lady and 2.8 mcg for a mother while breastfeeding.

The only way to fulfill this requirement is by consuming B12-fortified foods or taking a vitamin B12 supplement. A simple way to intake the vitamin B12 is in vaporized form. Vegan people can use vitamin B12 vape pen. The food for vitamin B12 sources is plant milk, soy items, breakfast grains, and dietary yeast.

Plant milk, soy foods, breakfast cereals and dietary yeast may contain vitamin B12, but only if they are fortified with vitamin B12. Check the nutrition label!

Tom and Mr. H. like this.

_________

#8 Old 09-09-2019, 10:31 PM

There are many plant-based dairy alternatives that you can try. You can check out vegkitchen's website for more info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page