VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   General Food Discussions (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/)
-   -   Eat without dairy products? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/229332-eat-without-dairy-products.html)

newsbeat3 02-21-2019 05:46 AM

Eat without dairy products?

How do people make up for the lose in not eating dairy products like milk?

David3 02-21-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newsbeat3 (Post 4120970)
How do people make up for the lose in not eating dairy products like milk?

Hi newsbeat3, and welcome to the forum!

The (vegan) Vegetarian Resource Group has an excellent article about calcium in the vegan diet. It's written by Reed Mangels, a Registered Dietitian: https://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.php

Tom 02-21-2019 04:07 PM

Lots of my favorite vegetables (the dark green, leafy kind) are good sources of calcium. I recently found out that some beans, such as soy beans and white beans, are significant sources.

Milk also provides other things, such as vitamin D, riboflavin(?), and B-12. Some vegan foods are supplemented with these; it will say so on the label. B-12 is the only vitamin I take regularly, but a few years ago, my check-up revealed a vitamin D deficiency for which I was given a prescription-strength supplement. I thought I was getting enough D from being outdoors, but this was right at the end of winter when my stores of D would have been at their lowest. Too much of some forms of vitamin D can make you sick... I think D-3 can make you sick if you take too much of it, but not D-2. You'd better check around for yourself.

David3 02-21-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 4120984)
Lots of my favorite vegetables (the dark green, leafy kind) are good sources of calcium. I recently found out that some beans, such as soy beans and white beans, are significant sources.

Milk also provides other things, such as vitamin D, riboflavin(?), and B-12. Some vegan foods are supplemented with these; it will say so on the label. B-12 is the only vitamin I take regularly, but a few years ago, my check-up revealed a vitamin D deficiency for which I was given a prescription-strength supplement. I thought I was getting enough D from being outdoors, but this was right at the end of winter when my stores of D would have been at their lowest. Too much of some forms of vitamin D can make you sick... I think D-3 can make you sick if you take too much of it, but not D-2. You'd better check around for yourself.

Agreed 100%. Also, many plant milks (like soy milk) are fortified with vitamin D, vitamin B12, and calcium. Just check the label.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inhalecalm 07-26-2019 12:08 AM

When you are avoiding dairy products, you need to put lots of vegan items on your plate. We vegans avoid all animal products, including meat, poultry, eggs, fish, and dairy in our diet
Vegetarians should be cautious about replacing certain supplements that are mostly or only found in animal products.

The regular prescribed Vitamin B12 intake is 2.4 mcg for adults, 2.6 mcg for pregnant lady and 2.8 mcg for a mother while breastfeeding.

The only way to fulfill this requirement is by consuming B12-fortified foods or taking a vitamin B12 supplement. A simple way to intake the vitamin B12 is in vaporized form. Vegan people can use vitamin B12 vape pen. The food for vitamin B12 sources is plant milk, soy items, breakfast grains, and dietary yeast.

arzoochaudhary 07-26-2019 12:22 AM

Thank you for the information.

David3 07-26-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inhalecalm (Post 4121924)

The regular prescribed Vitamin B12 intake is 2.4 mcg for adults, 2.6 mcg for pregnant lady and 2.8 mcg for a mother while breastfeeding.

The only way to fulfill this requirement is by consuming B12-fortified foods or taking a vitamin B12 supplement. A simple way to intake the vitamin B12 is in vaporized form. Vegan people can use vitamin B12 vape pen. The food for vitamin B12 sources is plant milk, soy items, breakfast grains, and dietary yeast.

Plant milk, soy foods, breakfast cereals and dietary yeast may contain vitamin B12, but only if they are fortified with vitamin B12. Check the nutrition label!

JesseG 09-09-2019 09:31 PM

There are many plant-based dairy alternatives that you can try. You can check out vegkitchen's website for more info.