Carmine in Tomato Sauce - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-09-2019, 09:57 PM

Carmine in Tomato Sauce

Hello everybody,

I read about how ketchup can contain carmine. I also read that most canned vegetables and fruits had added color to it, (including prepackaged lettuce, mushrooms, other veggies and cut-up fruits) but because it is used very little, to preserve the color of the product and not an actual ingredient they do not have to list it in the ingredient's list. I read that they especially do that for tomato paste, as to make sure that it stays red, and not a little brown when the consumer opens it. My concern is, since I read of a all these things which may extend to tomato sauce (and anything else red), what truly vegan tomato sauce do you know of and do you use? I am outraged that coloring from animal sources can be added to vegetable/fruit products, but more upset that they are not listed if is not considered part of the product itself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2019, 09:35 AM

Could you share your sources? I couldn't find anything about carmine in ketchup or tomato sauce
#3 Old 01-12-2019, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Carmine has to be added since it is a high allergan!
If color is added and not listed it would be red 40, which is vegan

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-13-2019, 06:57 PM

I lost the article containing the information. I can't find it anywhere now, I'm baffled that it's not popping up in the search anymore, it was an informative. I can't remember the name of the site, I think it might have been from this site: blog.hmns.org/2012/11/color-me-carmine-cochineal-bugs-in-our-food-and-drink/ or befoodsmart.com/how-to-choose.php or a site similar to these. Are companies allowed to put food coloring from carmine or cochineal beetles very lightly in order to preserve the color without labelling it? I think they have to if it is part of the product, but what if it is not considered part of the package? I would like very much to find that article that detailed how they added color for canned fruits, veggies, and for red products such as ketchup.

This link here talks about carmine, and also adds it's used for adding color to fruit juices: snopes.com/fact-check/red-red-whine/

And this says that carmine was found to be in ketchup (it is a short article that does not go into much detail after that, but gives a link to more information, howbeit not really regarding the ketchup or sauce):
archive.jsonline.com/blogs/news/210281711.html
#5 Old 03-18-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganFinds View Post
I lost the article containing the information. I can't find it anywhere now, I'm baffled that it's not popping up in the search anymore, it was an informative. I can't remember the name of the site, I think it might have been from this site: blog.hmns.org/2012/11/color-me-carmine-cochineal-bugs-in-our-food-and-drink/ or befoodsmart.com/how-to-choose.php or a site similar to these. Are companies allowed to put food coloring from carmine or cochineal beetles very lightly in order to preserve the color without labelling it? I think they have to if it is part of the product, but what if it is not considered part of the package? I would like very much to find that article that detailed how they added color for canned fruits, veggies, and for red products such as ketchup.

This link here talks about carmine, and also adds it's used for adding color to fruit juices: snopes.com/fact-check/red-red-whine/

And this says that carmine was found to be in ketchup (it is a short article that does not go into much detail after that, but gives a link to more information, howbeit not really regarding the ketchup or sauce):
archive.jsonline.com/blogs/news/210281711.html
Thanks for the reminder!
I only found a source that is dated 2012 (just as articles you've mentioned). According to recent reply from Peta:
Quote:
We have never encountered information that indicates that ketchup contains blood or any other animal-derived ingredient. It is possible that the “natural flavors” in the list of ingredients could be animal-derived. Contact the manufacturer of the brand that you are interested in to inquire about the source of the natural flavors. Organic ketchups are likely to be free of additives that may contain animal-derived products.

According to the Heinz Web site (under “Heinz Products”) “Heinz ketchup has never contained any animal products.” The site goes on to say that “the FDA has set a standard of identity for ketchup that does not permit the use of any animal products. Any deviation from this standard of identity would mean that the product could no longer be called ketchup [or be] sold legally under the name ketchup.”
source
So it's probably better ask before buying and stuck to product labeled organic.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

Tags
carmine , tomato sauce , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page