Tofu package bulging - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AspiringBuddha

#1 Old 06-27-2018, 10:12 AM

Tofu package bulging

I was going to fry a pack of tofu this morning I'd bought at the Grocery Outlet (a discount, remainder store) a while ago, and found that both the packs I have are bulging. The one with the smaller bulge has a "best by" date of July 4, 7 days away. I opened and smelled it and it doesn't look or smell bad. I think my sense of smell is decent to go good, but sometimes I don't quite trust it.

I hate to waste and give into paranoia. I've often risked eating food I have reservations about, and don't recall getting sick from them, but this is the first time I've had a bulging pack of tofu. They've always kept in the fridge without any problem for weeks at a time. It's Ayuzama extra firm.

Has this ever happened to you? Did you risk eating it?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-27-2018, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually freeze my tofu before - then thaw them out in the frig. And I've seen the "bulging" phenomenon on most packages. I thought it was normal. or maybe because of the freezing. I must not have as much paranoia as you. Or maybe I'm less concerned with food safety than I should be. I've never given it a second thought till just now.

Anyway, I'm sure its fine. But just in case, open the package, look at it, and smell it before cooking and eating it. I've never seen or smelled bad tofu - but I think it turns color, gets slimy and smells bad.

I have been thinking about the bulging as I type this. Do you think a possible explanation is that whatever chemical/biological process that turns it into tofu is still going on in the package, producing gasses?
#3 Old 06-27-2018, 01:06 PM

Thanks. As far as I could tell there was no smell or slime, so I've gone ahead and fried them up.
What I think may've happened is that whereas before I kept them on a shelf, this time I kept them in a crisper, which may be a bit colder, thus the "freezing".
I often struggle with finding the line between being over-cautious and reasonably cautious. About 6 years ago, I had a raging case of food poisoning. I suspect it came from a restaurant, but I couldn't prove anything, and besides, they were nice people, so I didn't want to make trouble. I was vomiting uncontrollably for a couple days. Sometimes I couldn't even make it to the bathroom. So that in part fuels my occasional worries about these things, not to mention my usual OCD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-27-2018, 05:19 PM

I've used tofu literally weeks after the "use by" date without any problems. I've never seen it bulge from keeping it in the fridge though. But generally I'd say if it smells okay, you're safe.
Mr. H. likes this.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
#5 Old 06-27-2018, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by James N. Dawson View Post
Thanks. As far as I could tell there was no smell or slime, so I've gone ahead and fried them up.
What I think may've happened is that whereas before I kept them on a shelf, this time I kept them in a crisper, which may be a bit colder, thus the "freezing".
I often struggle with finding the line between being over-cautious and reasonably cautious. About 6 years ago, I had a raging case of food poisoning. I suspect it came from a restaurant, but I couldn't prove anything, and besides, they were nice people, so I didn't want to make trouble. I was vomiting uncontrollably for a couple days. Sometimes I couldn't even make it to the bathroom. So that in part fuels my occasional worries about these things, not to mention my usual OCD.
Oh, I bet that is it. I see the bulging all the time because I always put it in the freezer. and when the water in and around the tofu turns to ice - it expands and it bulges.

and that it might freeze in the crisper seems like a plausible scenario.

I don't think I have ever had food poisoning. So maybe I just don't have a healthy respect for it. Or maybe I figured out why the bulging and then just discarded the idea as unimportant.

I'm glad that's all settled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page