Rhubarb season - Recipe Suggestions? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-02-2018, 08:57 AM

Rhubarb season - Recipe Suggestions?

So it is rhubarb season here (in the UK) and I have it growing in abundance.

Rhubarb is one of those awkward fruits/vegetables(?) that is far too tart to eat as it comes so I'm hoping to get some inspiration for ways to cook/bake it up into something nice.

I've made some rhubarb pie which is going down a treat but still have a load of rhubarb waiting to be picked..Any recipe ideas you could offer up would be great?!

PS: Seasonal eating is the best! Food tastes so much better when grown naturally and eaten this way. Plus less air miles/pesticides. Big reccommendation to grow your own if you can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rhubarb pie.png
Views:	37
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	16276  

Here to share my attempt at being a little bit more healthy, via being good to myself and the planet. Easily led astray, but ultimately trying to lead the good life! Veggie for 8+ years

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-03-2018, 01:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi! I have just picked and cooked my first rhubarb of this season. Served it with vanilla custard and made some sponges for the freezer. I too am looking for ideas. Am going to check out recipes for jam and some kind of chutney thing.

There is joy and beauty in everything around us, just take time to see it!

#3 Old 05-11-2018, 07:57 AM

Rhubarb sponges sound lovely, I've not made them into a cake before actually so may try that.

A compote or jam would be a good call, don't have to use it right away either which is a bonus..Although with jam I never get it to set right (Tried with gooseberries last year and was more like a soup than a jam ahhh!)

Here to share my attempt at being a little bit more healthy, via being good to myself and the planet. Easily led astray, but ultimately trying to lead the good life! Veggie for 8+ years

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-11-2018, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Have just made a rhubarb date and ginger chutney Chrissy. I found the recipe on the internet. There seems to be quite a lot of good stuff to be found. looks like a lot of peeps have an over abundance of rhubarb.

There is joy and beauty in everything around us, just take time to see it!

Tags
baking , eating seasonally , home grown , recipes , rhubarb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page