Asking your advice narrowing down how to flavor salad - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By AspiringBuddha
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 04-24-2018, 09:56 PM

Asking your advice narrowing down how to flavor salad

I used to eat lots of salads with a ton of shredded bacon on top of some combination of these salads from instacart:
Fresh Express Shredded Red Cabbage
Sweet Kale Gourmet Salad- I would remove the sesame seeds and also the poppyseed dressing because I'm allergic to both

I'm looking for plant based ways with minimal preparation I can get from Costco or Giant(evidently renamed Stop and Shop) to flavor the salad to replace the shredded bacon and was wondering if I could ask your advice for narrowing down the direction to go that is likely to taste good to a meat eater's palate for the short term to get more used to eating salads without meat

By direction, I mean
- Have disliked use of lemon juice in salads for some reason
- have disliked fruit in salads, seems to just ruin the experience of eating the fruit for me at the moment
- Am allergic to nuts/peanuts, cannot use those in salads but I bet if I wasn't allergic, I would use them since they seem like they would taste good/have crunch/be dry/have fat
- I've heard mushrooms can be good meat substitutes but I haven't yet found a way I like eating them except to completely overpower their taste with salsa
- Have found alot of popular dressings like Caesar or ranch to be disgusting, at least to my taste now
- Am against using straight up oil or oil with vinegar in the salad because of various arguments Dr. Fuhrman and Dr. Gregor have against oil

I'm looking for maybe an intermediate way to help get salads down perhaps at least until I get more used to eating common things vegetarians/vegans eat

So far I have tried just adding flax seed, hemp seed, and nutritional yeast to red cabbage salads- this has worked alright since the cabbage doesn't have too much water to dilute the flavor of the three things I've added. This is maybe closer to the direction I'm going for- dry, fat containing stuff whose flavor won't get too diluted easily. But right now just adding these seeds/yeast is getting boring and I'm looking for new avenues

What might you suggest for flavoring salads given the above? What whole plants or zero salt seasonings might be palatable to a former meat eater who used to dump bacon on his salads?

allergies: peanuts, nuts (evidently peanuts are not nuts according to google?), most seeds- sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds

Somehow I am fine with flax seed or hemp seed despite being allergic most seeds

Last edited by kneehowguys; 04-24-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-24-2018, 10:00 PM

After I posted this, I realized this might be better renamed "Advice for flavoring salad when transitioning to plants"

and this should probably be in the below forum:
Transitioning to Vegetarian (148 Viewing)
#3 Old 04-25-2018, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

You have so many conditions, dislikes, allergies... it left me scratching my head. You eliminated every one of my good ideas before I got to the end....

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Pinterest. My guess is that there has to be something you like on this page

https://www.pinterest.com/veggieprim...bowls/?lp=true
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-25-2018, 02:33 PM

If you don't like salads, and frankly it sounds like you don't, don't eat them? Why do you need to "get them down"? It's not as though salads are the only way you can eat vegetables or plant based.

I have all kinds of suggestions for alternatives to salad, but to narrow it down a little bit so I'm not just chucking darts with my eyes closed, what are you looking for? What did you like about eating salads before?
etherea and Mr. H. like this.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
#5 Old 04-25-2018, 04:21 PM
Impeach the gangster

Ripe olives.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#6 Old 04-25-2018, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Oh I love olives!
Have you tried McCormicks bak'n bits? I keep them in my lunch bag for when I bring things to work that needs a bit more flavor. Smokey, crunchy, very flavorful

I used to love a garden salad with a warm Boca chik'n patty sliced up over it.

I make date syrup that I use for sweetener- pour hot water over equal amount of dates, let cool then blend. Lasts about a week or so in fridge. I'll mix some with balsamic vinegar for dressing
I like a blend of salty and sweet in salads and often use green olives and dried cranberries. Love that combo with the tart dressing. You can make your own croutons with a whole grain bread.

What about beans? I like to add them to the dressing in a separate container.
Mr. H. likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 04-25-2018, 11:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I would add crunchy bread croutons seasoned with salt and smoked paprika.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page