• 1 Post By Willie
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By AspiringBuddha
  • 1 Post By farrelli
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By azra
  • 1 Post By AspiringBuddha

#1 Old 11-17-2017, 10:20 PM

Powdered soy milk for powdered cows milk?

Hi,

I'm trying to be vegan but I'm finding it incredibly hard due to my schedule. I basically live on boxed noodle dishes, powdered mashed potatoes, and a host of things that can be made in under 15 minutes, but all of them call for milk. I still have some powdered milk from my vegetarian days but its running out and I need a replacement. I don't buy liquid milks because I never know if I'll have time to use them before they go bad. So, if someone could tell me if powdered soy milk, or some other powdered "milk" would be suitable, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
1976teen76 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-18-2017, 05:10 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
Hi,

I'm trying to be vegan but I'm finding it incredibly hard due to my schedule. I basically live on boxed noodle dishes, powdered mashed potatoes, and a host of things that can be made in under 15 minutes, but all of them call for milk. I still have some powdered milk from my vegetarian days but its running out and I need a replacement. I don't buy liquid milks because I never know if I'll have time to use them before they go bad. So, if someone could tell me if powdered soy milk, or some other powdered "milk" would be suitable, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Hi farrelli,

You can buy powdered soymilk from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...owderd+soymilk . I've never tried it in a recipe, however.

Because milk allergies are so common, there are several websites about making mashed potatoes without milk: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...owderd+soymilk

What kind of instant noodles do you like to use? I bet that there are instant, non-dairy broths can could be used.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 11-18-2017, 10:40 PM

Thanks. I was more wondering on which kind would be appropriate for this particular use. Just like the liquid kind, some lend themselves to better uses than others. In any event, I just ordered some soymilk and hope that it works out. It's more expensive than powdered cows milk and apparently doesn't have as long a shelf life.

As to the noodles I buy, Knorr, Rice-a-Roni, store brand, or whatever is cheapest. I have a very unhealthy diet due to time constraints. Fresh produce or meal prep isn't something that I can deal with. Veganism has been really hard for me, especially in terms of getting enough protein. In about 1.5 years I'll be switching back to a more normal schedule, but for now all I do is work. I was a vegetarian for about 27 years, and that was easy because dairy and eggs are in everything. Cutting all that out really limits my options.
1976teen76 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-19-2017, 07:46 AM

Willie

I'm not vegan, but I have dairy and egg allergies, so I use powdered soy milk a lot. Anytime I bake something with milk, I just mix up the amount I need for that recipe. As far as shelf life goes, I keep my powdered milk sealed or in an airtight container and it lasts a long time.
If you are eating noodle products, you need to check the ingredient list on the boxes to see if there are eggs in the noodles; many noodles are made with eggs. Other types of dried pasta are generally OK, but once again, check ingredients on the packages. Daiya brand has 3 kinds of mac and cheese products that are dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free. I prefer the Deluxe White Cheddar Style Veggie Cheezy Mac.
You can use broth to make your mashed potatoes and add a little flavor with a non dairy vegan butter like Earth Balance Original.
1976teen76 likes this.
#5 Old 11-19-2017, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

I use Better than Boullion no chicken boullion paste, or Frontier no chickn broth powder on things like potatoes or casseroles. I also buy dried mushrooms from an Asian grocery and powder them in a nutribullet type blender with a flat blade. If you have a high speed blender I bet you could powder raw cashews fine enough to mix with water.

What about milling oats? I've thought about that but never tried it. I bet that would be a good powdered milk sub.

I just found this at my grocery store--
https://lairdsuperfood.com/ There's a lot of different varieties! At the store they were $10. for an 8 oz bag- it seemed pretty big. I don't have reason to try it, but I'm so interested!
1976teen76 likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 11-19-2017, 03:04 PM

What about ramen? The oriental top ramen flavor is vegan, and you could keep some frozen veggies in your freezer and tofu in your fridge (unopened tofu, even the refrigerated type, has a shelf life of weeks or months.)

Your ramen wouldn't need milk products to fix, and the last 2 minutes of cooking you could just drop in some frozen veg and quick dice a little tofu to throw in it. The ramen's a bit high in sodium, but probably no worse than the convenience foods you're eating now, and the tofu would get you some quick protein. You'd have dinner in roughly 8-10 minutes. If you're not a tofu fan, you could also use frozen edamame.
1976teen76 likes this.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
#7 Old 11-19-2017, 10:24 PM

Interesting note about the ramen. The only flavors I tend to find are chicken, beef, and I think shrimp. But I live in Boston where everything is small, including the grocery stores, so choice is limited. Oh, and I'm not afraid of sodium or anything else. I have great blood pressure, cholesterol levels, etc.

I do like tofu, even plain, and a local grocery store sells the extra firm, organic, 14oz blocks for only $1.50 (it's a sale, but one that's been on for at least a year). However, I generally only open them if I'm going to use the whole thing because I fear that the rest will go bad. I should look into how long it would last after opening.

I should look into things to do with pasta other than using spaghetti sauce or olive oil and Italian spices. I have a TON or various kinds of pasta that I got when it was on clearance for 75% off. It was cheap, and it's quick to make but I have no cooking ability.
1976teen76 likes this.
#8 Old 11-20-2017, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
Interesting note about the ramen. The only flavors I tend to find are chicken, beef, and I think shrimp. But I live in Boston where everything is small, including the grocery stores, so choice is limited. Oh, and I'm not afraid of sodium or anything else. I have great blood pressure, cholesterol levels, etc.

I do like tofu, even plain, and a local grocery store sells the extra firm, organic, 14oz blocks for only $1.50 (it's a sale, but one that's been on for at least a year). However, I generally only open them if I'm going to use the whole thing because I fear that the rest will go bad. I should look into how long it would last after opening.

I should look into things to do with pasta other than using spaghetti sauce or olive oil and Italian spices. I have a TON or various kinds of pasta that I got when it was on clearance for 75% off. It was cheap, and it's quick to make but I have no cooking ability.
Some people like tofu after it's been frozen and thawed (not me though, I think it has the texture of an old sponge- but that's me!) You could cover with water and put in a freezer container.
My advice is to come up ways to use it.
Tofu scramble- I like to slice onions, peppers mushrooms and crumble tofu and start them in a lightly oiled pan, then cover with a mix of 1/4 water, teaspoon liquid smoke (or Braggs), and whatever seasoning I like--garlic powder, thyme, maybe hot sauce - simmer till absorbed and golden
Add to smoothies
Just sautee with seasoning and make a sandwich
Press the water out and lightly mash with some vegan mayo, nooch, pickle relish, curry powder, black salt (for egg taste) minced onion, minced pepper--whatever you'd like, like an egg salad. Have a sandwich or in a salad
Marinate in Italian dressing or make your own marnade. Press first to get out water and let marinade absorb
Blend with some vegan mayo, herbs like dill, garlic and onion powder, some lemon or vinegar and thin with non dairy milk (or water) for a ranch type dressing
Blend with vegan mayo and nooch and lemon and seasoning for a mac and cheze sauce (or on veggies or toast) Add spinach for a florentine style
Spudulika and 1976teen76 like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#9 Old 11-20-2017, 09:24 AM

Have you ever tried "Rosemary Almond Milk"?
It is also very yummy delicious!
1976teen76 likes this.
#10 Old 11-20-2017, 10:27 AM

Oriental Flavor Top Ramen

Looks like it's about 50 cents a pack, which isn't too bad, and they have chili flavor too, which is also vegan!

Other spaghetti toppings would be a quick peanut sauce.

This is the original recipe of the one that I use, although I've tweaked it a bit for my own tastes. It's great with baked tofu. Baked tofu also freezes pretty well, so you can bake the whole package when you open it if you find you like the texture.

I also toss spaghetti with a bag of frozen stir fry veg and soy sauce and some toasted sesame oil for a quick and dirty take on lo mein. (Just drop the veg in the boiling water for the last minute and a half of the cook time.)

Short noodles plus a can of vegetarian chili or black beans and a tomato sauce made with crushed red pepper can be good too.

I love cooking but I occasionally struggle with depression so these are some of my go-tos when I just don't have the energy to bother.

Edit: @silva , I am definitely trying the tofu florentine sauce.
1976teen76 likes this.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page