Pancetta: a replacement (spaghetti dish): help! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Spudulika
  • 1 Post By runnerveggie

#1 Old 04-08-2017, 06:34 PM

Pancetta: a replacement (spaghetti dish): help!

Hi!
I am transitioning over...and it's going well...trying out new reciepes...but still learning (lots to learn!!)

ok so I make a really yummy Spagheti Carbonara w/ Black kale... (what's really funny is I haven't made pasta in a month since cutting out meat! strange!...and pasta's my fav)...

anyways...this dish has shallot, black kale, eggs (I've cut back a lot on this but...not entirely), parmesan, and pancetta chopped...what would give simialr flavouring to the Pancetta? I DON'T want a "fake" meat replacement...rather want "real" food...any suggestions?

I appreciate it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2017, 11:08 PM
Bandit

Vegetarian meat analogues are real food...did you mean you want a minimally processed whole food? Because pancetta, which is bacon, is a processed food (ironically) and vegetarians don't consider it to be real food since it's made from an animals body part.

Now that we've cleared that up, I don't know what to tell you but since you are lacto-ovo, this shouldn't be terribly difficult to find. I suggest browsing Pinterest for vegetarian or vegan pancetta, or looking it up on a YouTube cooking show.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#3 Old 04-09-2017, 12:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolranchdressn View Post
Hi!
I am transitioning over...and it's going well...trying out new reciepes...but still learning (lots to learn!!)

ok so I make a really yummy Spagheti Carbonara w/ Black kale... (what's really funny is I haven't made pasta in a month since cutting out meat! strange!...and pasta's my fav)...

anyways...this dish has shallot, black kale, eggs (I've cut back a lot on this but...not entirely), parmesan, and pancetta chopped...what would give simialr flavouring to the Pancetta? I DON'T want a "fake" meat replacement...rather want "real" food...any suggestions?

I appreciate it!!
I put sliced fried mushrooms in my carbonara, I like them texturally. For a smokey bacon flavour you could fry the mushrooms with smoked salt or smoked paprika before adding to your carbonara.

Well done on making the changes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-09-2017, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

I looked up pancetta and

Made me think of coconut bacon. It's smokey, fatty, salty, coconut strips. I did not like it, but people do, both vegan and otherwise. I was never a bacon fan either. You can buy it, or make yourself
I do use liquid smoke. I would marinate tempeh with a teaspoon or two of liquid smoke, some maple syrup, garlic powder and simmer till it's absorbed and browned. Or as Spudlika said-mushrooms. Or eggplant bacon (never did that but sounds good) Or seitan

Sounds like the coconut bacon would be most similiar. Theres even a jarred coconut bacon fat

How about soaking chopped nuts in a liquid smoke, syrup marinade and toasting?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 04-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I was thinking of some kind of smoked mushrooms too -- you can google for lots of recipes for shiitake or other mushroom "bacon" but the main idea would be to fry and add some smoky flavorings like smoke paprika or liquid smoke (a little goes a long way).
Coolranchdressn likes this.
#6 Old 04-09-2017, 10:47 PM
person

Hi, I would try ****ake mushrooms cut thin and add salt and paprika .

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk

Last edited by BlueMts; 04-10-2017 at 01:26 AM. Reason: spelling
#7 Old 04-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Give peas a chance

Eggplant bacon might be similar in texture.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page