My Recipe Book Is Now Free ... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-10-2004, 04:52 AM

Call me stupid or just impatient, I have started writing a vegan recipe book and although I have reached 45 recipes by myself, Im finding it a bit of a hard slog trying to reach the 1000 that I am aiming at.

I started out saying that anyone that helps me by sending in a recipe gets a 50% discount, and now because I want it completed in less than 6 months, Im offering it for free to the people who submit the first 1000 recipes.

Its otherwise going to be sold for US$29.95 (thats a reasonable price for 1000 recipes isnt it?) and 10% of all profits will go to charity and Im even leaving that up to the submitters (you get to vote on the submission page).

I realise by giving it away to the first 1000, I effectively lessen the amount I will then give away to charity but I also figure that there will always be people turning vegan, having their teenagers turn vegan, have friends who are vegan etc. and so hope to give loads of money away - its a long term thing.

If you can help me to get this book out there as fast as possible so we can start raising funds to help in the field of animal welfare, health education , or whatever tickles your fancy, then go to www.healthyvegans.com/submitrecipes.htm

Thanks!!

Maree

www.healthyvegans.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-10-2004, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I have 2 questions for you:

1) Are people that submit recipes gonna get some kind of recognition in the book ? i mean 95% of will be created by other people, i hope you don't take the credit for them ......

2) How can you be sure that the recipes submited by other peole didn't come from some cookbook that already exists ?
#3 Old 10-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Also...I'd rather have a book with 100 *good* recipes, than 1000 recipes of varying quality. Have you considered narrowing it down to a theme (certain ethnicity, or holiday, etc.)?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-10-2004, 09:55 AM
Heart Beet

are you going to test out the recipes also yourself first or just go publish blind? food varies greatly by the cook. for instance, How It All Vegan and Garden of Vegan are my two fave vegan cookbooks, but i have to cut their salt content (usually Bragg's or soy sauce) like in half because it's WAY too much for me...
#5 Old 10-10-2004, 05:30 PM

ok lots of thoughts there from you guys which is great.

Vicki,

1) whether people get recognition ... if you have a look on the webpage where you can submit the recipes, youll see that Ive got something saying include your name if you want it to be included.

I am most definitely not going to be taking all the recipes that other people are sending in and then saying I created the dish. Maybe I will be putting something like me being the editor or something though, since Im doing all the "paper work" and putting the whole thing together, which is also quite a lot of work.

2. "How can you be sure that the recipes submited by other peole didn't come from some cookbook that already exists ?"

well youre right and that is a difficult one that Ive also had a good think about. I think thats where ultimately I have to just trust the integrity of the people submitting that they have come up with the recipe themselves.

Also a hard one because recipes can be so similar anyway. I mean how many versions are out there for tofu patties, pumpkin soup , tahini dressing etc.

Also, Im the one who will get in trouble if someone has sent in a copyrighted recipe. If thats the case then I will have to deal with the original publisher of the recipe. (who will obviously have to prove to me that it is theirs and that is was published by them first).

DIRTYSOLE:

Im pretty much going to publish them 'blind' as you say. I will take a good look through them and have been as they come in. Obviously if somethings not right and someones sent something in thats just a joke, Ill just leave it out or write to them. Id love to try them all and I probably will at some stage but I think its more important to get it out there.

Im always reducing things like salt, oil or adding herbs or whatever to every recipe book that Ive ever had. I find it very rare to find a recipe exactly to my taste. So I figure people will treat the recipes as they would normally in any other cookbook.

IAMJEN:

hmm Ive thought about that as well. Im kindof interested in making a huge collection of great recipes that people have come up with that is like a great encyclopedia. I always hate when I have a certain vegetable that I would like to find a recipe for (or where its the main star) and I look it up in all my recipe books and cant find something that interests me.

For me its like this awesome vision of having a vast collection at my fingertips, that I can choose between a couple of very similar recipes perhaps as well as have a big variety.(and thats the beauty of having it digital .. so that you dont have to lug a great big book around, but that its all there in your computer.)

And you are right that some people might be interested in smaller packaged books. I may end up offering both. (however you could also put them under those subtitles in the book as well).

hows that? :-)
#6 Old 10-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Heart Beet

that seems really great, but great encyclopedias of information do not materialize in 6 months or less. i say take your time and really do it right and it COULD be the vegan Joy of Cooking. don't and it never will be.
#7 Old 10-10-2004, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry-- I'm keeping all mine for my future cookbook
#8 Old 10-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for answering , and just for the record it's Vicky with a Y
#9 Old 10-13-2004, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Looks like it's been done. You might make it 1001 Vegetarian Recipes.

http://product.ebay.com/1-000-Vegeta...3a1Q3a1Q3a8685

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 10-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

but the one she's intending on putting together is 1000+ vegan recipes right?
#11 Old 10-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

michael, i have a book called 1,001 low-fat vegetarian recipes by sue spitler.

maree, i truly wish you the best of luck, but i will say that as a consumer i would not spend my money on a collection of recipes that had not been kitchen-tested and edited well. i am very particular about choosing cookbooks and i always make sure they are put together by someone i like or that they have lots of great reviews. if i want a large number of hit or miss recipes i just go to vegweb.
#12 Old 10-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild blackberry View Post

i would not spend my money on a collection of recipes that had not been kitchen-tested and edited well.

That's going to be a problem There are thousands of vegetarian recipes already available online. I'm not really sure why someone would spend $30 on a cookbook. I don't cook though so I'm not too familiar with the "scene."

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 10-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

That's going to be a problem There are thousands of vegetarian recipes already available online. I'm not really sure why someone would spend $30 on a cookbook. I don't cook though so I'm not too familiar with the "scene."

someone would spend $30 on a cookbook if they have a sick and depraved cookbook addiction.

of course, i don't know of anyone who has such a problem...nope, not me...
#14 Old 10-14-2004, 03:19 AM
Veggie Regular

i love cookbooks and really enjoy having them around but most of the time i buy them used. even when i have bought them new because i just had to have a certain title (vegan planet for example) i don't think i've ever spent more than 20 bucks. i just have to be really confident in a book before i shell out cash; otherwise i just go online.
#15 Old 10-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

There are a lot of great cookbooks that are expensive. I'm sure I have some in the $25-30 range and I feel I've got my money's worth from them, thankyouverymuch.

That said, I DEFINITELY wouldn't spend ANY money on one whose recipes hadn't been extensively kitchen-tested. What would be the point?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page