• 1 Post By Symondezyn
  • 1 Post By jaskins
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Jamie in Chile
  • 1 Post By SapphireLightning

#1 Old 02-19-2017, 02:52 PM
Bandit

Daiya Pasta and Pizza

I have tried most of the Daiya pre-made products, and I was pleasantly surprised that the deluxe sharp cheddar style tastes as comforting as if it were the deluxe dairy mac and cheese brands many of us grew up with, like Velveeta, or Kraft deluxe with the squeeze packet.

I was mistaken in thinking that the white cheddar style with dried vegetables would taste better, I thought the regular cheddar would be too bland, but no! Daiya cheezy mac is more expensive than the Earth Balance vegan option that's more similar to powdered cheap Kraft dinner, but it really tastes better. Also, it's fortified with calcium and iron, and the pasta is made from brown rice.

Out of the three pizzas I've tried, I think the plain cheese is too bland, like cheap frozen dairy pizza but not cheap!I recommend getting the mushroom and garlic variety if you are going to invest between 5-8 dollars on frozen pizza instead of the roasted vegetable type, because you can always add onion, green pepper and/or tomato slices at home and make it taste like a fancy, fresher pizza because the vegetables on the roasted vegetable flavor are tiny. Better to have the expensive large mushrooms and add your own fresh toppings, I think it's a much more prudent investment.

What do you think of the Daiya products?

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Never tried their mac and cheese since I hate pasta with cheese; even the smell bothers me.

I have had their pizza a couple times (roasted-vegetable and supreme, I think). They're OK-ish. Expensive for their size -- $10 (sometimes more) where I live before taxes.
I also actually prefer pizza without cheese, so it gets to a point where the cheese starts getting to me.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 02-19-2017, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

I just had their cheddar slices and now the block jalepano havarti. I'm in love!
I totally gave up the idea of ever having anything really cheese-like besides grilled cheese sandwich with Daiya shreds. Both the block and slices are (to me now at least) JUST like real cheesse. Both melted and cold
I wouldn't bother with ready made mac and cheese or pizza either way. I had a frozen vegan pizza once, i think Daiya, and it was so meh

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-19-2017, 05:06 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
Never tried their mac and cheese since I hate pasta with cheese; even the smell bothers me.

I have had their pizza a couple times (roasted-vegetable and supreme, I think). They're OK-ish. Expensive for their size -- $10 (sometimes more) where I live before taxes.
I also actually prefer pizza without cheese, so it gets to a point where the cheese starts getting to me.

Whoa. Is it because it's imported to Canada, or is food just generally more expensive there? Here in the US it's sold at comparable prices to the "better" brands of frozen pizza that have dairy cheese and meat. I don't mind paying an average of 6-7 bucks for quality, since the crust is brown rice and Daiya really is better than some soy cheeses, and I know ingredients like crimini and ****ake mushrooms aren't cheap. However for ten bucks I could go out to eat and get a vegan pizza in a restaurant.

Ingrid Newkirk
#5 Old 02-19-2017, 05:21 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I just had their cheddar slices and now the block jalepano havarti. I'm in love!
I totally gave up the idea of ever having anything really cheese-like besides grilled cheese sandwich with Daiya shreds. Both the block and slices are (to me now at least) JUST like real cheesse. Both melted and cold
I wouldn't bother with ready made mac and cheese or pizza either way. I had a frozen vegan pizza once, i think Daiya, and it was so meh
I have yet to try the jalapeño havarti, I will have to check it out. When I make grilled cheese, I like to use the Chao brand. I get that some of the flavors of their pizza are meh, but I do think the mushroom version is really worth the money because they're heartier than white button mushrooms. Adding sliced fresh vegetables honeatly makes it taste better than PizzaRev (a restaurant chain that offers vegan options) for a couple dollars less...but it's not as good as 800 Degrees, a local Los Angeles chain that's my favorite.

I recently saw a totally homemade pizza recipe on The Vegan Zombie, that used Miyako (spelling?) vegan mozzarella that I'd like to try sometime.

Ingrid Newkirk
#6 Old 02-19-2017, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
Whoa. Is it because it's imported to Canada, or is food just generally more expensive there? Here in the US it's sold at comparable prices to the "better" brands of frozen pizza that have dairy cheese and meat. I don't mind paying an average of 6-7 bucks for quality, since the crust is brown rice and Daiya really is better than some soy cheeses, and I know ingredients like crimini and ****ake mushrooms aren't cheap. However for ten bucks I could go out to eat and get a vegan pizza in a restaurant.
Not completely sure. I think it's just food that it's not as cheap here. Gardein is made in Canada, and it costs $6. A 500 ml can of beans (not even organic) about 2.50 to 3 dollars. Chao cheese slices, close to $10. Field roast sausages, about $6-8. A bunch/pound of asparagus costs $5. Those prices all before taxes.
Some things are reasonably priced, but the specialty vegan items and some vegetables seem to be more expensive than in the U.S.
I don't think you can get pizza here for 10 bucks, even small. I usually get a medium pizza with mushrooms, peppers, black olives, artichokes, and spinach (take or add an ingredient depending on what I feel like eating) and that's close to $20.
Thalassa likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 02-19-2017 at 05:37 PM.
#7 Old 02-21-2017, 03:26 PM
Plant Powered

Daiya has been hit and miss for me. I like their cheddar style slices, and the cheddar style shreds are ok too, in small quantities on chili or in a burrito or something. Their yogurt is AMAZING. I haven't tried the pre-made pizzas or boxed mac and cheese.

We did have vegan pizza in Vegas made with Daiya mozza style shreds, and it was terrible However recently, we had it on a Panago pizza and it was really good - different formula maybe? IDK.
Thalassa likes this.
#8 Old 02-27-2017, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I just tried the Daiya Greek Yogurt Alternative for breakfast this morning, black cherry flavor, and it was fantastic! A little pricey to have every day of the week, but was a really yummy replacement - I won't miss regular yogurt at all. Will be fun to build some parfaits with granola and berries with it!

I also bought the cheezy mac with the vegetables/white cheddar in it, and a couple of pizzas, but haven't tried them yet. I've tried the pepperjack shreds once or twice before in the height of my omni days and hated it, so I'm a little nervous but very willing to give them another chance! I don't think I used them properly the first time around.
Thalassa likes this.

Sometimes you just have to put on lip gloss and pretend to be psyched. -Mindy Kaling
#9 Old 02-27-2017, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskins View Post
I just tried the Daiya Greek Yogurt Alternative for breakfast this morning, black cherry flavor, and it was fantastic! A little pricey to have every day of the week, but was a really yummy replacement - I won't miss regular yogurt at all. Will be fun to build some parfaits with granola and berries with it!

I also bought the cheezy mac with the vegetables/white cheddar in it, and a couple of pizzas, but haven't tried them yet. I've tried the pepperjack shreds once or twice before in the height of my omni days and hated it, so I'm a little nervous but very willing to give them another chance! I don't think I used them properly the first time around.
Someone seriously needs to bring back the big, affordable, soy yogurt that Trader Joes used to carry--I think Wildwood?
I've been having almond milk yogurt as its been on sale, but I miss the soy.

I'm incredibly impressed with Daiyas block cheese-particularly the jalepano havarti and cheddar. I can eat slices all by themselves-cold-and well as melted. I've missed that so much!
They are that different from the shreds-which make a good grilled cheese
jaskins likes this.

#10 Old 02-27-2017, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Someone seriously needs to bring back the big, affordable, soy yogurt that Trader Joes used to carry--I think Wildwood?
I've been having almond milk yogurt as its been on sale, but I miss the soy.

I'm incredibly impressed with Daiyas block cheese-particularly the jalepano havarti and cheddar. I can eat slices all by themselves-cold-and well as melted. I've missed that so much!
They are that different from the shreds-which make a good grilled cheese
Good to know about the block cheese, jalapeno havarti sounds delicious! I bought the Daiya cream cheese but haven't tried it yet; I went with Follow Your Heart for Provolone and American slices because I think I remember reading good things here about that brand - at least I hope so! I've been cooking up a storm this week trying new recipes, but I'm kind of looking forward to making a melty sandwich with tofurky slices and my faux cheese, just to see how I like it!

Sometimes you just have to put on lip gloss and pretend to be psyched. -Mindy Kaling
#11 Old 03-26-2017, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

I had the Daiya supreme pizza-on sale at $4.99-and it was very hit or miss
The very worse part of it was the gluten free crust! If I were gluten free and this was best I could get, i would not eat pizza. I'd stick to tacos and corn burritos, I've had those gluten free just fine! It was - pasty, not crisp, not good at all

I don't care for Daiya as a melted topping anyway, but the veggies and the sausage pieces were tasty. I will not be buying again

I really like when Pizza Hut has any topping pizza sales and get hand tossed without cheese

#12 Old 03-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Must be nice to live in a place where you can easily get all these sorts of products.
Sidhuriel likes this.
#13 Old 03-26-2017, 05:26 PM
Look ma! No hooves!

I like the "pepperoni" pizza they make, as well as their answer to Velveeta shells and cheese. In fact the later one there sold out so often at our tiny grocery store so often (to the point that I had to buy the white "cheese" varieties most of the time) that I convinced the store to double front the cheddar style daiya mac n cheese. Low and behold, I go in just an hour ago, and twice the cheddar daiya mac n cheese! (They would literally sell out a day or two after new stock went up on the shelves... And I live in a tiny island village off the coast of Maine with a population of 5000 or so...)
Thalassa likes this.

Carnist: Someone who kills animals and then takes from their bodies.
Vegetarian: Someone who takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable.
Vegan: Someone who tries to avoid unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable.
#14 Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 PM
Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
Must be nice to live in a place where you can easily get all these sorts of products.
Agreed, the only place I can even buy Daiya is two big vegan events that take place one day a year.

I love their pizza and cheesecake, but it's extremely expensive and extremely hard to get here so I make do with stuff I can make at home. Would love the convenience of it but it's not quite common here yet.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels

Tags
cheezy mac , comfort food , daiya , frozen pizza , vegan cheese

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page