VeggieBoards banner

Onion-free vegan cooking

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  silva 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm allergic to onions...what I'm looking for is a low-fat vegan onion-free cookbook..good luck..right...
As a second option..any suggestions for replacing onions in recipes? The crazy thing is..I absolutely love garlic..go figure.

#2 ·
Buddhist vegetarian cookbooks should include vegan onion-free recipes. Mahayana Buddhist monks and nuns are either vegan or lacto-vegetarian, and they also avoid onions, garlic, chives, green onions, and leeks.

#3 ·
Blissful Bites doesn't have either onions or garlic in their recipes. On the other hand, what a bummer of an allergy to have. :(

#5 ·
Just omit them when a recipe asks to use them? I don't think onions are something you need to replace.

#7 ·
Right. Or maybe replace the onion with something else, maybe celery or even water chestnut? Something with a little crunch? Recipes are not legally binding. :laugh:

Reactions: Purp
#8 ·
If I want something that takes onions and I don't have any I just make it without.
There are certainly enough other veggies to choose from, no problem
I'm like that with just about any veggie except carrots and celery. I wouldn't make a noodle soup without those

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.