• 1 Post By Spudulika
  • 2 Post By Sidhuriel
  • 1 Post By Lipps
  • 3 Post By Lipps
  • 1 Post By jessandreia

#1 Old 01-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Best oil for stir frying

I made a stir fry yesterday which was delicious, but a bit too salty. I used Earth Balance buttery sticks, a faux butter, as the oil (because I like the flavor). It contains salt which, when combined with the salt in the soy sauce, made it just a touch too salty. So, I'd appreciate suggestions for a different oil.

The stir fry included bell peppers, onions, garlic, edamame, corn, faux chicken strips from Beyond Meat, corn starch, soy sauce and two tablespoons of the Earth Balance Buttery sticks.

As mentioned, I'd like to switch to a different oil. I've read that peanut oil has a good flavor for stir frying, but that extra virgin olive oil has too low a smoke point. Does anyone have any experience with using peanut oil in stir fries? Any other suggestions for the oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Beginner

I've found some recipes call for an awful high amount of soy sauce. I like a fair bit of salt for flavour, but I made one recipe for a lentil loaf that called for a large amount and against my better judgement, followed it and was gulping water for the rest of the evening. I wound up using that loaf to start a large pot of soup so that I could water it down significantly.

I know your question is about what kind of oil to use, but maybe to do a gentle steam, then thicken it, and then add the Beyond Meat at the end alone with olive oil and a bit of soy sauce to taste?
#3 Old 01-17-2017, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I've found some recipes call for an awful high amount of soy sauce. I like a fair bit of salt for flavour, but I made one recipe for a lentil loaf that called for a large amount and against my better judgement, followed it and was gulping water for the rest of the evening. I wound up using that loaf to start a large pot of soup so that I could water it down significantly.

I know your question is about what kind of oil to use, but maybe to do a gentle steam, then thicken it, and then add the Beyond Meat at the end alone with olive oil and a bit of soy sauce to taste?

Good points. I already use a reduced sodium soy sauce (Kikkoman's), but even that is salty. I might try cutting down on the soy sauce a bit, but teh soy sauce is nice because it adds a lot of flavor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-17-2017, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

I like using a hot cast iron for stir fries, I only need a drizzle of water mixed with Braggs aminos, or the juice from pineapple (I like pineapple in stir fry)

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 01-17-2017, 06:31 PM
Vegan since 1991

The Vegetarian Resource Group recommends using oils that are richer in omega 3 fatty acids, such as canola oil and flaxseed oil: http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2007iss...e1_omega_3.php . Flaxseed oil (aka linseed oil) is not suitable for heating/ frying : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linsee...ement_and_food

Here is a Wikipedia entry about omega 6 to omega 3 fat ratios, and the fat ratios of different oils: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratio_...ent_foods#Oils
Dilettante likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 01-17-2017 at 06:37 PM.
#6 Old 01-17-2017, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

The Vegetarian Resource Group recommends using oils that are richer in omega 3 fatty acids, such as canola oil and flaxseed oil: http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2007iss...e1_omega_3.php . Flaxseed oil (aka linseed oil) is not suitable for heating/ frying : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linsee...ement_and_food

Thanks, David. I made the stir fry again today and tried peanut oil this time, but I didn't like the flavor. I've used canola oil before, and it's relatively flavorless, so I'll give it a try next time. One thing I can say is that the Earth Balance Buttery Sticks (a faux butter) that I used last time was good, but I'd like to try something else. So, next time, I think canola oil.
#7 Old 01-17-2017, 11:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilettante View Post

Thanks, David. I made the stir fry again today and tried peanut oil this time, but I didn't like the flavor. I've used canola oil before, and it's relatively flavorless, so I'll give it a try next time. One thing I can say is that the Earth Balance Buttery Sticks (a faux butter) that I used last time was good, but I'd like to try something else. So, next time, I think canola oil.
For a stir fry, I use toasted sesame oil. Imparts a wonderful flavour that marries perfectly with other oriental key notes like soya sauce, chilli or ginger.

If I don't have sesame in, then I'd use canola/rapeseed for it's high cooking point and neutral flavour.

Generally I keep three oils in for regular use, canola for general use including baking, olive for dressings and pasta etc., toasted sesame for stir-fries or tofu.

If I'm feeling extra virtuous, I might buy a bottle of hemp oil instead of one of the others, but it has quite a strong distinctive flavour which not everyone might like.

I also have a jar of coconut oil in the fridge, haven't used that much, but I expect it would be good flavourwise in stir-fries too. Plus it's stable at high temperatures.
#8 Old 01-18-2017, 03:07 AM
Peace

It depends a bit on the kind of stir fry.

For Indonesian, Thai and Indian cooking I prefer coconut oil.

For Chinese and Japanese or other Asian food it´s sesame oil, peanut oil or sunflower oil.

I never use any kind of (faux) butter for stir frying because it burns too easily.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#9 Old 01-18-2017, 04:24 AM
Kaye

I have never thought of using a juice for stir-frying......can any juice be used? Or is pineapple the best one?
#10 Old 01-18-2017, 06:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I never use any kind of (faux) butter for stir frying because it burns too easily.

I'm sure this is the case with actual dairy butter, but when I tried stir frying with Earth Balance Butter Sticks (faux butter), it was fine. No burning. So apparently, the smoke point is high enough with Earth Balance to stir fry.
#11 Old 01-18-2017, 06:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
I made a stir fry yesterday which was delicious, but a bit too salty. I used Earth Balance buttery sticks, a faux butter, as the oil (because I like the flavor). It contains salt which, when combined with the salt in the soy sauce, made it just a touch too salty. So, I'd appreciate suggestions for a different oil.

The stir fry included bell peppers, onions, garlic, edamame, corn, faux chicken strips from Beyond Meat, corn starch, soy sauce and two tablespoons of the Earth Balance Buttery sticks.

As mentioned, I'd like to switch to a different oil. I've read that peanut oil has a good flavor for stir frying, but that extra virgin olive oil has too low a smoke point. Does anyone have any experience with using peanut oil in stir fries? Any other suggestions for the oil?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhuriel View Post
It depends a bit on the kind of stir fry.

For Indonesian, Thai and Indian cooking I prefer coconut oil.

For Chinese and Japanese or other Asian food it´s sesame oil, peanut oil or sunflower oil.

Sid nailed it.
Coconut oil is a wonderful oil for stir-fry.
Some fresh ginger, fresh onion, black mustard seeds, fresh curry leaves, fresh green chilies, whatever veggies and you're good to go.

Read this thread for basic South Indian cooking. I posted it a while back. It will get you started on great stir-fry dishes. Thai stir-fry is very similar too.

The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
- Mark Twain, a Biography
#12 Old 01-18-2017, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Coconut oil is a wonderful oil for stir-fry.
Some fresh ginger, fresh onion, black mustard seeds, fresh curry leaves, fresh green chilies, whatever veggies and you're good to go.

All of those items sound delicious, except that I wasn't familiar with curry leaves, but just searched for them. I don't know if they're available in my area. In any event, I'm looking forward to trying this.
#13 Old 01-18-2017, 07:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:

All of those items sound delicious, except that I wasn't familiar with curry leaves, but just searched for them. I don't know if they're available in my area. In any event, I'm looking forward to trying this.
If you are in the USA and a major city, look for an Indian food market. They would have them. Alternatively you can get a curry leaf tree from a number of nurseries around the country. If you need help finding one I can give you some info. It's a fairly easy plant to grow in a pot on your porch or balcony.

The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
- Mark Twain, a Biography
#14 Old 01-18-2017, 11:09 PM
Peace

Quote:

I'm sure this is the case with actual dairy butter, but when I tried stir frying with Earth Balance Butter Sticks (faux butter), it was fine. No burning. So apparently, the smoke point is high enough with Earth Balance to stir fry.
Earth balance doesn't exist in my country

#15 Old 01-18-2017, 11:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I always use olive oil. Surprised no one has mentioned it yet; thought its use was A LOT more common.

EDIT: Oops. Just re-read your post and saw you mentioned it. I have never had any problems using olive oil to stir fry.
Sidhuriel likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 01-18-2017 at 11:47 PM.
#16 Old 01-19-2017, 08:22 AM
Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
I always use olive oil. Surprised no one has mentioned it yet; thought its use was A LOT more common.

EDIT: Oops. Just re-read your post and saw you mentioned it. I have never had any problems using olive oil to stir fry.
I use olive oil for everthing except stir fries

#17 Old 01-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Cooked these in olive oil like I always do. Came out fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170119_170959.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	15666  

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#18 Old 01-19-2017, 04:09 PM

I would say camelina oil since its have a amazing omega 3 ratio and have a 475F smoke point and the taste is great (not a strong taste) and you doesnt need to refrigerate it. Bonus point for me, i can choose the brand that is made in my country.
#19 Old 01-19-2017, 07:18 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromelain View Post
I would say camelina oil since its have a amazing omega 3 ratio and have a 475F smoke point and the taste is great (not a strong taste) and you doesnt need to refrigerate it. Bonus point for me, i can choose the brand that is made in my country.
This is so interesting! I've never heard of this oil before. It looks healthy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camelina_sativa

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#20 Old 01-24-2017, 04:04 AM

I always use flaxseed oil, for me it offers the best taste for food.
#21 Old 01-25-2017, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I have been fine-tuning this recipe and can report that I am now using a mix of coconut oil and avocado oil, in equal amounts. This seems to work well for stir-frying, and has a good flavor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page