VeggieBoards banner

Best oil for stir frying

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Dilettante 
#1 ·
I made a stir fry yesterday which was delicious, but a bit too salty. I used Earth Balance buttery sticks, a faux butter, as the oil (because I like the flavor). It contains salt which, when combined with the salt in the soy sauce, made it just a touch too salty. So, I'd appreciate suggestions for a different oil.

The stir fry included bell peppers, onions, garlic, edamame, corn, faux chicken strips from Beyond Meat, corn starch, soy sauce and two tablespoons of the Earth Balance Buttery sticks.

As mentioned, I'd like to switch to a different oil. I've read that peanut oil has a good flavor for stir frying, but that extra virgin olive oil has too low a smoke point. Does anyone have any experience with using peanut oil in stir fries? Any other suggestions for the oil?

#2 ·
I've found some recipes call for an awful high amount of soy sauce. I like a fair bit of salt for flavour, but I made one recipe for a lentil loaf that called for a large amount and against my better judgement, followed it and was gulping water for the rest of the evening. I wound up using that loaf to start a large pot of soup so that I could water it down significantly.

I know your question is about what kind of oil to use, but maybe to do a gentle steam, then thicken it, and then add the Beyond Meat at the end alone with olive oil and a bit of soy sauce to taste?

#3 ·
I've found some recipes call for an awful high amount of soy sauce. I like a fair bit of salt for flavour, but I made one recipe for a lentil loaf that called for a large amount and against my better judgement, followed it and was gulping water for the rest of the evening. I wound up using that loaf to start a large pot of soup so that I could water it down significantly.

I know your question is about what kind of oil to use, but maybe to do a gentle steam, then thicken it, and then add the Beyond Meat at the end alone with olive oil and a bit of soy sauce to taste?

Good points. I already use a reduced sodium soy sauce (Kikkoman's), but even that is salty. I might try cutting down on the soy sauce a bit, but teh soy sauce is nice because it adds a lot of flavor.

#5 · (Edited)
The Vegetarian Resource Group recommends using oils that are richer in omega 3 fatty acids, such as canola oil and flaxseed oil: http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2007issue1/2007_issue1_omega_3.php . Flaxseed oil (aka linseed oil) is not suitable for heating/ frying : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linseed_oil#Nutritional_supplement_and_food

Here is a Wikipedia entry about omega 6 to omega 3 fat ratios, and the fat ratios of different oils: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratio_of_fatty_acids_in_different_foods#Oils

Reactions: Dilettante
#6 ·
The Vegetarian Resource Group recommends using oils that are richer in omega 3 fatty acids, such as canola oil and flaxseed oil: http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2007iss...e1_omega_3.php . Flaxseed oil (aka linseed oil) is not suitable for heating/ frying : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linsee...ement_and_food

Thanks, David. I made the stir fry again today and tried peanut oil this time, but I didn't like the flavor. I've used canola oil before, and it's relatively flavorless, so I'll give it a try next time. One thing I can say is that the Earth Balance Buttery Sticks (a faux butter) that I used last time was good, but I'd like to try something else. So, next time, I think canola oil.

#7 ·
For a stir fry, I use toasted sesame oil. Imparts a wonderful flavour that marries perfectly with other oriental key notes like soya sauce, chilli or ginger.

If I don't have sesame in, then I'd use canola/rapeseed for it's high cooking point and neutral flavour.

Generally I keep three oils in for regular use, canola for general use including baking, olive for dressings and pasta etc., toasted sesame for stir-fries or tofu.

If I'm feeling extra virtuous, I might buy a bottle of hemp oil instead of one of the others, but it has quite a strong distinctive flavour which not everyone might like.

I also have a jar of coconut oil in the fridge, haven't used that much, but I expect it would be good flavourwise in stir-fries too. Plus it's stable at high temperatures.

#10 ·
I never use any kind of (faux) butter for stir frying because it burns too easily.

I'm sure this is the case with actual dairy butter, but when I tried stir frying with Earth Balance Butter Sticks (faux butter), it was fine. No burning. So apparently, the smoke point is high enough with Earth Balance to stir fry.

#11 ·
It depends a bit on the kind of stir fry.

For Indonesian, Thai and Indian cooking I prefer coconut oil.

For Chinese and Japanese or other Asian food it´s sesame oil, peanut oil or sunflower oil.

I never use any kind of (faux) butter for stir frying because it burns too easily.
Sid nailed it.
Coconut oil is a wonderful oil for stir-fry.
Some fresh ginger, fresh onion, black mustard seeds, fresh curry leaves, fresh green chilies, whatever veggies and you're good to go.

Read this thread for basic South Indian cooking. I posted it a while back. It will get you started on great stir-fry dishes. Thai stir-fry is very similar too.

Reactions: Knowtions In Motion
#12 ·
Coconut oil is a wonderful oil for stir-fry.
Some fresh ginger, fresh onion, black mustard seeds, fresh curry leaves, fresh green chilies, whatever veggies and you're good to go.

All of those items sound delicious, except that I wasn't familiar with curry leaves, but just searched for them. I don't know if they're available in my area. In any event, I'm looking forward to trying this.

#13 ·
All of those items sound delicious, except that I wasn't familiar with curry leaves, but just searched for them. I don't know if they're available in my area. In any event, I'm looking forward to trying this.
If you are in the USA and a major city, look for an Indian food market. They would have them. Alternatively you can get a curry leaf tree from a number of nurseries around the country. If you need help finding one I can give you some info. It's a fairly easy plant to grow in a pot on your porch or balcony.

#15 · (Edited)
I always use olive oil. Surprised no one has mentioned it yet; thought its use was A LOT more common.

EDIT: Oops. Just re-read your post and saw you mentioned it. I have never had any problems using olive oil to stir fry.

Reactions: Sidhuriel
#18 ·
I would say camelina oil since its have a amazing omega 3 ratio and have a 475F smoke point and the taste is great (not a strong taste) and you doesnt need to refrigerate it. Bonus point for me, i can choose the brand that is made in my country.

#19 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.