• 3 Post By Mojo
  • 1 Post By Avril
  • 1 Post By Symondezyn
  • 1 Post By Avril
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Symondezyn

#1 Old 01-03-2017, 03:54 PM

Post Bad recipes

Though I know we all want to share when we've had good experiences, I'm curious to know what cautionary tales you have about seemingly good food gone wrong.

Tonight I tried a new recipe for vegan fettuccine Alfredo with mushrooms. It was a good texture, and easy to make, but egads if that wasn't bland. It tasted of nothing. Just creamy feeling...and nothing. I put as much salt, pepper, and Mrs. Dash-type seasoning as I dared and only managed to swallow half a portion, then made a bag of microwave popcorn.

I suspect I could make a better version of that in the future, if I am brave enough to try--even substituting fresh garlic and onions for the onion and garlic powders might help--but maybe I won't. And what really frustrates me is the sheer quantity of food I'll probably end up throwing out.

Stuff like this is really discouraging to a new vegan. But I'll rally if I can.
onboardvegan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-03-2017, 04:51 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I hate to waste food too. If my experiment goes horribly wrong, I eat it anyway- but file and annotate the recipe so I don't attempt something like that again.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#3 Old 01-03-2017, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Oh boy, alfredo! I've done some really bad ones!
I have learned to always use lemon juice, preferably fresh. A good dollop of Just Mayo. Either dry mustard or some dijon, and carmalized onions.

Indian food is another I've done pretty badly. I have the gamut of spices but since I can't follow a recipe at all, I struggle to get the flavors balanced. I have found a nice curry powder I like a lot, and found kaffir lime leaves and tamarind do the trick without too much else

I'm still having trouble with cashew creams. I soak enough and blend enough but only in a food processor. Doesn't come out smooth enough

I recently got an insta pot and made a minestrone. Didn't think you overcook soup so much it lost all flavor, but it did! It was mush! I'm learning

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-03-2017, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Know what really gets me? When I hate my food and others like it. Like brownies. I've never been happy with any vegan brownie, but other people like them. Not fair!
Sidhuriel and onboardvegan like this.

#5 Old 01-03-2017, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

One time I tried to make mushroom sloppy Joe's they were nasty, it probably didn't help that I burnt them.
onboardvegan likes this.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 01-03-2017, 11:14 PM
Veggie Regular

The biggest fail-recipe I've made was some kind of creamy pasta sauce, really soon after I went vegan. It wasn't alfredo, though I have had an alfredo-fail. Horrible! So bland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Know what really gets me? When I hate my food and others like it. Like brownies. I've never been happy with any vegan brownie, but other people like them. Not fair!
Speaking of brownies, http://allrecipes.com/recipe/25112/zucchini-brownies/ is my all time favourite accidentally-vegan brownie recipe. The frosting is easily veganized (I would recommend making it - so good!). They are zucchini brownies, but don't let that put you off of them - it's definitely not a "health food" recipe. You can't really see the zucchini after they are done baking. They are to die for. I have been begged to bring them to all big family dinners, and I always leave with an empty pan. I throw in a handful of chocolate chips instead of walnuts. The batter will seem incredibly dry - just keep stirring. One thing to note is that if you really overmix, you'll get chocolate cake, not brownies. Mix until the point where it looks...glossy...for a lack of better words. The consistency is not pourable - you should press it into the corners of the pan.
Avril and onboardvegan like this.
#7 Old 01-03-2017, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm still having trouble with cashew creams. I soak enough and blend enough but only in a food processor. Doesn't come out smooth enough
I had the same problem with my food processor, so I bought myself a blender. It was the cheapest one I could find (£9.99 from Argos for those in the UK) but still had a 500w motor same as ones three times the price so I thought I'd give it a go. It was worth it. I have now successfully made cashew cream in it and yesterday made a creamy layered root vegetable gratin that was really good. I've since put a whole bunch of cashews in my online grocery basket..
onboardvegan likes this.
#8 Old 01-03-2017, 11:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had bad experiences with substituting eggs. Flax goop is fine for thickening and making things creamier (smoothies, milk or tofu puddings), but useless for binding. Too slimy. I made vegan crab cakes using courgettes with flax eggs instead of eggs, and it was slimy goop. Disgusting. I followed the recipe and the pictures looked great on the outside all crispy and golden, but were slithery moosh on the inside. Yuck.
onboardvegan likes this.
#9 Old 01-04-2017, 01:23 AM
Peace

I often fail at lasagna and other oven based dishes, I don't know if it's my oven or the recipes but half of them turn out undercooked (hard lasagna sheets yuk) or very watery.

If I create the dish just by my own hand that never happens, so I tend to blame faulty recipes.

Another one that is harder than it seems is vegan baking, I second what the poster above me said. It's easier to mess up, the cake often turns out really dry or too mushy. It's all trial and error I guess. Going vegan requires a whole new approach to cooking.
onboardvegan likes this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#10 Old 01-04-2017, 07:17 AM

Oh, yeah, this was definitely the recipe and not user error, because it would be nearly impossible to mess the recipe up unless you don't know how to boil noodles.

What I will say in its favor, however, is that the basic concept of using silken tofu and plant milk to make a thick, creamy sauce isn't bad, so long as you're not claiming it's a cheese sauce and flavoring it almost completely with nutritional yeast. I think I would do much better making it up as I went along, because aside from the nutritional yeast I'm familiar with the taste of all the ingredients on their own and they need help.
onboardvegan likes this.
#11 Old 01-04-2017, 07:18 AM
Give peas a chance

Worst mistake I've made was when I used brewer's yeast in a recipe for vegan mac and cheese. I didn't realize it was different from nutritional yeast, which is what the recipe called for. Nasty and bitter and NOT cheesy. It made me sick.

When I started vegan I think I had some sort of weird notion that I had to invent recipes, and that resulted in a lot of misguided attempts at cooking and wasted food. I just stick to recipes from books, and things that seem to get good reviews on the internet. I'll adjust recipes to fit my aesthetic, but I make no attempts at inventing things.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#12 Old 01-04-2017, 09:08 AM

Ah, but I'd be so sad if I had to give up inventing my own recipes! I always loved doing that.

This one, by the way, is from But I Could Never Go Vegan. It's sort of depressing how the recipe reinforced the title...anyway. I know there are plenty of things I can cook that are vegan that I like, so I should focus on that, and trying new recipes as I have interest and time. But it's also unfortunate when something I was excited enough to try--and had to go out and buy the ingredients for--was so unpleasant to eat.
onboardvegan likes this.
#13 Old 01-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Ah, but I'd be so sad if I had to give up inventing my own recipes! I always loved doing that.

This one, by the way, is from But I Could Never Go Vegan. It's sort of depressing how the recipe reinforced the title...anyway. I know there are plenty of things I can cook that are vegan that I like, so I should focus on that, and trying new recipes as I have interest and time. But it's also unfortunate when something I was excited enough to try--and had to go out and buy the ingredients for--was so unpleasant to eat.
That's intriguing!! I love that recipe, I've made it several times (even go out of my way to get silken tofu as they don't carry it at my supermarket) and it's always flavourful and delicious, even my picky husband loves it... did you by any chance omit the wine? It really adds a depth of flavour that would definitely make the sauce quite bland if it was missing.
onboardvegan likes this.
#14 Old 01-04-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symondezyn View Post
That's intriguing!! I love that recipe, I've made it several times (even go out of my way to get silken tofu as they don't carry it at my supermarket) and it's always flavourful and delicious, even my picky husband loves it... did you by any chance omit the wine? It really adds a depth of flavour that would definitely make the sauce quite bland if it was missing.
I put wine in. Maybe I had a bad wine? But I did use Ripple for the plant milk, which is pretty bland, too.
onboardvegan likes this.
#15 Old 01-04-2017, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

I have a hard time following recipes, but so many vegan recipes have really disappointed me, things like alfredo and soooooo many cheeze things!
The ones that use things like potatoes, esp sweet potatoes, and/or carrots! Yuck
Sidhuriel and onboardvegan like this.

#16 Old 01-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Peace

Quote:
I have a hard time following recipes, but so many vegan recipes have really disappointed me, things like alfredo and soooooo many cheeze things!
The ones that use things like potatoes, esp sweet potatoes, and/or carrots! Yuck
I avoid everything that contains some novel grain like quinoa combined with carrots or sweet potatoes. I know exactly what you mean

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#17 Old 01-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Bandit

I once went to great lengths to make some sort of vegetable pot pie from scratch, and I used the wrong form of thyme - I used powdered instead of dry flakes, and so it tasted so disgustingly of thyme I could barely choke down part of it and am still afraid to use thyme in anything.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#18 Old 01-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
I once went to great lengths to make some sort of vegetable pot pie from scratch, and I used the wrong form of thyme - I used powdered instead of dry flakes, and so it tasted so disgustingly of thyme I could barely choke down part of it and am still afraid to use thyme in anything.
oh i hear ya - i over-thymed a soup awhile back and I'm still grossed out by thyme now; haven't used it since :P
Thalassa likes this.
#19 Old 01-05-2017, 12:26 PM

Exclamation Cakes

Sometimes I added too much baking soda, and they tasted salty! I covered some of them with brown sugar after baking, but they still weren't very nice. I like the flavour of buckwheat cakes, but they tend to go very dense when cold. Still alright, sort of. If reheated they dry out and need a sauce.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page