cannelloni challenge - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-30-2003, 12:02 AM
Banned

so my dad has this friend who's in transition to vegan now, and somehow she thinks i'm a great cook because she loves everything i make. now she asked me to try and veganize some cannelloni that she had once, that's ricotta, nuts (probably walnuts), and raisins.

the challenge is: how to make it light, not massively rich? i always use tofu to replace ricotta, which works out really well, but i've never made cannelloni that's just tofu - it's always 1/2 fresh veggies, so you can eat a few and not feel like you're never going to eat anything again. this thing is going to be like a slab of tofu wrapped in pasta, and i'm a bit reluctant to try it out.

the only thing i could think of so far is to crumble the tofu more lightly, so it's in bigger chunks and doesn't stay as dense inside the tubes. other than that, i just don't know what to do. is it going to work?

some ideas, anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-30-2003, 01:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's how I make Cannelloni now. Maybe there's something in it that can help you:

Vegan Cannelloni

(Serves 4-6)

INGREDIENTS

1 onion, finely chopped

2 garlic cloves, crushed

2 carrots, coarsely grated

2 celery stalks, finely chopped

2/3 cup vegetable stock

1/2 cut red or green lentils (red looks nicer)

1 14 oz. can chopped tomatoes

2 tbsp tomato paste

1 tsp fresh thyme

1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary

3 tbsp vegan margarine

1/3 cup wheat or barley flour

2 1/2 cups soymilk

large pinch of grated nutmeg

16-18 cannelloni tubes

1/3 cup Soymage Vegan Parmesan

1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs

salt and fresh ground black pepper

garnish, as desired (flat-leaf parsley is typical for guests)

1. To make the filling, put the onion, garlic, carrots and celery into a large saucepan, add half the stock, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until tender.

2. Add the lentils, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme, rosemary, and seasoning. Bring to a boil, cover, then simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for about 10 minutes more, until thick and soft. Let cool.

3. To make the sauce, melt the margarine in a pan, stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, then gradually add the soymilk, whisking until the sauce boils and thickens. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.

4. Preheat the oven to 350F. Fill the uncooked cannelloni by piping the filing into each tube (easiest to hold them upright with one end flat on a board, while piping into the other end).

5. Spoon half the sauce into the bottom of an 8-inch square oven-proof dish. Lay two rows of filled cannelloni on top, and spoon on the remaining sauce.

6. Scatter on the vegan parmesan and bread crumbs. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish, if desired.

If the topping hasn't browned at all, you can finish it under the broiler just long enough to give it that nice golden brown touch.
#3 Old 04-30-2003, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't wait to try that recipe. It sounds so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-30-2003, 10:40 AM
Banned

hmm, hmmmmm.. very interesting! i quite like the tomato-inside/white sauce outside idea. does it look all red when you make it?
#5 Old 04-30-2003, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

There's reddish-orange aspects, but not when you look at it after taking it out of the oven. It's really goooooooooood.

I also found a great recipe for vegan lasagne over at VegWeb that my wife and I use sometimes to blow non-vegans away. It's made with artichoke hearts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page