Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By troi
  • 1 Post By Dave in MPLS
  • 1 Post By tea

#1 Old 10-13-2016, 02:47 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Smoothies: All-Fruit vs. Fruit+Plant Milk

I'm thinking about making breakfast smoothies each morning. My first impulse is to fall back on the recipe I learned 25 years ago from Marilyn Diamond's American Vegetarian Cookbook (which is a vegan cookbook, but it was released in 1990, a few years before the internet made that word more well known). 1 banana, 1 cup fruit, 1 cup apple juice. Easy peasy. The tastiest smoothie I ever made with this basic recipe used cactus pears. Mmmm ... watermelony, but better than watermelon. I'm pretty happy with that recipe, BUT ...
Most smoothie recipes I am running across use almond or soy milk as the liquid rather than fruit juice. I don't mind creamy smoothies, but I don't feel like I need that either. So, experienced smoothie makers, I have to ask: do you prefer fruit juice or plant milk based smoothies? Also, what sort of add ins have you found enjoyable? I'm thinking some flax seeds would be good and thicken the smoothie up a bit.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-13-2016, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

My favorite is banana, fresh pineapple, a teaspoon matcha, a tablespoon ground flax, and fresh ginger- lots of ginger! Either some soy or almond milk, some juice, but usually water

I used to do greens but I've gotten away from that. I should though.

Apple carrot pineapple and ginger and matcha and water.

I really love the long energy of matcha

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 10-13-2016, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I too am really into pineapple, banana, and ginger! I add leafy greens to mine.

I almost always keep a batch of frozen banana chunks in the freezer for smoothies as I find they make thicker and richer smoothies. I love berries...raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries...so those often make their way into my smoothies. Blueberry and mango with a little ground flaxseed and some kale is nice. I like dense fruits like mango, peaches, apricots, cantaloupe etc for making smoothies as they make creamy smoothies. but I have done more juice based smoothies also. Carrots and oranges are a favorite too! I generally don't add greens to that one as I love the bright orange color of it! I have also made watermelon frosties, which is just watermelon and a pinch of maple syrup. Nothing else added, though a tablespoon or two of water may be needed. I also freeze other fruits I buy fresh, like pineapple, cantaloupe, and especially berries.

I do sometimes use protein powders in smoothies but not always. I have been trying to use more chia seeds in them instead lately. Very occassionally I might add almond butter in there, or avocado, but I like to keep my morning smoothies or juices lighter so I usually do that for a treat or at dinner.

For leafy greens, spinach seems to add creaminess to a smoothie, while kale makes it more crisp.

Oh, and raw Thai coconut! Or shredded coconut if you are lazy. Pineapple, coconut, and frozen banana with water added is great!

Another one is canned pumpkin, banana, molasses, and in this case I do use a splash of almond milk.

Mostly I do not use plant milks in mine but sometimes I do for an extra bit of calcium. I like to add some leafy greens in there for the calcium, iron, and protein also. I'm not a huge smoothie drinker though, maybe a few times a week, some weeks not at all and others daily. Just depends on my mood.

There is a local cafe in my city that makes vegan veggie blasts in their vitamix blenders right there in front of you. They always have interesting combinations I would never think of. Some examples are:

Sunrise- oranges, carrots, and apples
Purple Power- beet, blueberry, spinach, apple, and lemon
Detox Kale- celery, kale, lemon, apple, ginger, and pineapple
Green Lemonade- kale, spinach, celery, cucumber, apple, and lemon

I have had the Sunrise, Green Lemonade, and Detox Kale so far. I forgot that I sometimes add celery or cucumber to my smoothies. Cucumber is great with fresh mint leaves and honeydue melon (the green melon).

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-13-2016, 07:03 PM
imagineaa

Soymilk by a landslide.

I use 1/8 c quick oats and 2 tsp fiber powder to thicken.
tpkyteroo luebeck likes this.
#5 Old 10-15-2016, 03:16 PM
Riot Nrrrd

I don't know if my little single serve blender can handle frozen fruit. It would be cool if it could. I enjoyed using frozen bananas back when I used a full sized blender, but my living situation has changed and the only sensible option is my little single-serve blender. Aah, now I'm depressed

Peanut butter sounds good but I live with a bunch of non-vegans. I already eat a ton of that stuff.

#6 Old 10-15-2016, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
I don't know if my little single serve blender can handle frozen fruit. It would be cool if it could. I enjoyed using frozen bananas back when I used a full sized blender, but my living situation has changed and the only sensible option is my little single-serve blender. Aah, now I'm depressed

Peanut butter sounds good but I live with a bunch of non-vegans. I already eat a ton of that stuff.
Maybe you could still freeze it but let it thaw for a little bit and then try blending it that way? Bananas take mere minutes to begin to soften (when in chunks). Strawberries and other berries also soften quickly, but stuff like pineapple or cantaloupe might take longer. That might still work and would still be firm enough to be cold and creamy?

ps I should mention those smootheis I have from the local cafe are made with room temperature fruits and veggies, not frozen, and they are still really good!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 10-19-2016, 10:05 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
stuff like pineapple
Yeah ... that wouldn't be happening anyway
Naturebound likes this.

#8 Old 10-21-2016, 06:52 AM
tea

Every morning before work I'll have a smoothie of soy milk, 1 cup of oats, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 2 tbsp mixed seeds, 1 banana and sometimes 1 tbsp pure peanut butter. Maybe once a week I'll put in a tbsp of soy protein isolate, but it often sticks to the sides of my smoothie which is a bit annoying.
Super high protein, high calories, high carbs, and relatively high good fats and keeps you full of energy for hours. Great if you have an active lifestyle or for weight gain/ bulking
tpkyteroo luebeck likes this.
#9 Old 10-22-2016, 01:56 PM
99% Vegan

I use soy milk, pineapple, raspberries and pea protein isolate.
If I have it, I'll add in chia seeds and flax seeds.

If I'm making this to use as a meal, then definitely, I'll add in spinach. If I were you, I'd add in celery and carrot too. (I used to buy celery-carrot juice before my body changed.)

Allergic99%Vegan
#10 Old 01-08-2017, 11:42 AM

About your blender, I use a nutribullet mini blender (individual serving size) and I love it for smoothies that include frozen fruit and ice cubes! Before I switched over to the nutribullet I found that my generic mini blender (as I call it lol) needed more liquid in order to break down frozen fruit and ice cubes. I could make all of the same things but they had to have more liquid/thinner consistency because the motor was much less powerful than the one I have now! Experiment with it- you wont break it. the worst possible scenario is that the smoothie wont turn out how you hoped.
#11 Old 01-08-2017, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Just to add- I have a Aldi kithen living branded 'nutrition extractor".I swear it's the same as Nutribullet 900 watt. (It is 900 watts)
I got it around this time last year for either $29.99, or $39.99. I haven't seen it come back, but things usually do.
Jump on it if you need a good personal blender!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#12 Old 01-08-2017, 05:51 PM

I make a smoothie every morning.
Coconut milk
frozen strawberries
banana
oats
flaxseed
chia seeds
vanilla
#13 Old 01-09-2017, 06:37 AM

I don't use plant milk. I prefer all fruit. Banana and/or nuts can add creamyness. Usually I don't even add any liquid, and eat it with a spoon. Banana and strawberry or blueberry is nice. If nuts are used, they need to be blended long enough to make them smooth. Sometimes it's a bit grainy because I'm not patient enough!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page