soy/soymilk, iron and protein powder! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 2 Post By jessandreia

#1 Old 08-02-2016, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
soy/soymilk, iron and protein powder!

Ahoy!
Rolling today's questions (I have many this month because I'm determined to do this all right this time. Ha. Decades of not doing it so well. Then a year testing out omnivorous diet and hating it means I WILL do this but also thrive) into one post for any smarties out there who have any suggestions...

1. Is there iron in tofu? I get enough iron but I'm curious because I keep hearing conflicting statements. It doesn't really matter but it's good to know.

2. Are there more isoflavones in soymilk or tofu? A friend who's going veg for the first time is concerned about them and won't eat tofu in case she loses her period but has been drinking soymilk for years...
I actually thought there were more in a glass of soymilk than a few bites of tofu in a stirfry or sushi?! But what do I know!

3. I've been exercising a lot more (more energy than ever before) and eat a lot of protein in the form of beans and such but there're only so many you can eat...
I think we generally overestimate our protein needs but want to cover my bases whilst trying to gain a few kilos...
Are there any protein powders that aren't soy (not wary but I already eat a bit of it) or whey OR pea protein (apparently contraceptive, somewhat...) based? I don't think they can be made of anything else...
But you never know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-03-2016, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

From: http://www.motherearthliving.com/hea...henomenon.aspx
The health benefits of soy come, in part, from a group of compounds known as isoflavones. The two most prominent isoflavones are genistein and daidzein. All soy foods contain varying amounts of isoflavones. Here’s how the various types of soy foods stack up for isoflavones:

Raw soybeans (½ cup): 34 g soy protein, 176 mg isoflavones
Roasted soybeans/soy nuts (½ cup): 30 g, 167 mg
Tempeh (4 ounces): 19 g, 61 mg
Soy protein (1 ounce): 26 g, 57 mg
Soy flour (¼ cup): 8 g, 44 mg
Tofu (4 ounces): 18 g, 38 mg
Textured soy protein (¼ cup): 18 g, 28 mg
Soy milk (8 ounces): 10 g, 20 mg

Soy isoflavones are plant estrogens (phytoestrogens). Similar in chemical structure to human estrogen, they bind to estrogen receptors around the body. However, soy phytoestrogens are much weaker than human estrogen, which is why, scientists believe, soy foods may help prevent breast cancer.

and a breakdown of typical nutrients:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=111

What does your doctor suggest for your fertility and is your husband as concerned with his?
Isoflavones don't seem to have that much effect on fertility, at least not compared with so many others
#3 Old 08-03-2016, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

...and what do you mean by -"eat a lot of protein in the form of beans and such but there're only so many you can eat..."?
What's a 'lot' of beans to you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-03-2016, 08:23 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beets&Beats View Post
Ahoy!

2. Are there more isoflavones in soymilk or tofu? A friend who's going veg for the first time is concerned about them and won't eat tofu in case she loses her period but has been drinking soymilk for years...
I actually thought there were more in a glass of soymilk than a few bites of tofu in a stirfry or sushi?! But what do I know!

Here’s the USDA’s published data for the isoflavone content of dozens of foods, per 100 grams (3-1/2 ounces): http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles...Isoflav_R2.pdf .

From this USDA database, here is the isoflavone content of some popular soy foods, per 100 grams:

Soy hot dog: 1.00 mg isoflavones per 100 grams (PDF page 26)
Morningstar meatless chicken patties: 4.40 mg isoflavones per 100 grams (PDF page 21)
Soy burger: 6.39 mg isoflavones per 100 grams (page 32)
Soy drink (soymilk): 7.85 mg isoflavones per 100 grams (page 25)
Soy cheese: 25.72 mg isoflavones per 100 grams (page 25)
Tofu: 13 – 35 mg isoflavones per 100 grams (depending on type)(pages 31-32)
Tofu, salted and fermented: 41.85 mg isoflavones per 100 grams (page 32)
Soy yogurt: 33.17 mg isoflavones per 100 grams (page 27)
Tempeh: 60.61 mg isoflavones per 100 grams (page 30)
Soy protein drink: 81.65 mg isoflavones per 100 grams (page 26)

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#5 Old 08-03-2016, 08:27 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
1. Is there iron in tofu? I get enough iron but I'm curious because I keep hearing conflicting statements. It doesn't really matter but it's good to know.

Tofu is a fairly good source of iron. For future reference, here is the USDA's food nutrient database: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search . You can search for the nutrient content of thousands of foods using this database.

Here is the USDA's nutrient webpage for dozens of different tofu: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods?q...%2Fndb%2Ffoods

Here is the NHS's webpage on iron: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Vitamin...ages/Iron.aspx

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."

Last edited by David3; 08-03-2016 at 12:02 PM.
#6 Old 08-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Vegan since 1991

Protein powders are unnecessary. Mainstream vegan organizations recommend this approximate ratio of foods:

_________

#7 Old 08-03-2016, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

https://www.gardenoflife.com/raw-org...r-658010115933

I use this one sometimes. Seems to be free of soy and pea, and it's also gluten-free. It's not only a protein powder, but also has a bunch of other nutrients. It's supposed to be a meal replacement, but I just drink it more as snack.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#8 Old 08-03-2016, 11:58 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Ahoy!

Are there any protein powders that aren't soy (not wary but I already eat a bit of it) or whey OR pea protein (apparently contraceptive, somewhat...) based? ..

I can't find any peer-reviewed studies, or any reports from reputable nutrition organizations, which state that peas have contraceptive effects. Could you send me a link to your source?

_________

#9 Old 08-03-2016, 12:06 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Ahoy!

Beans and lentils are a better source of iron than is tofu.

One cup of boiled lentils contains 36% RDI of iron: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+1+cup+lentils

_________

#10 Old 08-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
Whoooo, thankyou all! Good morning from Australia where it's 7am and I've woken up to your helpful responses!

David, yep, I suspected as much re: iron. I was just curious. Since it's MADE of beans...
Haven't seen peer-reviewed pea studies either but have heard it around the traps a lot and I like other pulse things better anyway so I figured I'd mostly choose those to be on the safe side... I'm sure even if it's true you'd have to eat a loooot of it....
but pea protein powder is very different to a serve of peas a few nights a week anyway! The chemical is called m-xylohydroquinone.
Yep, I know a lot of people don't need protein powder and I doubt I will for long etc. But there's a lot less protein in the GF grains than there was in wheat so I'm slowly figuring out how to balance that out and it would be handy just in the interim.

Silva, good question! A lot of beans for me is probably about a cup full with two meals of the day. I want to fit other delicious fibrous things in there too not JUST beans. I eat a lot of potatoes and brown rice and brussel sprouts and nuts etc. as well...
Perhaps just a matter of pairing beans with a less wholegrainy wrap thing...Potatoes are amazing, but dense...
I'm not too concerned about isoflavones myself. I was more just asking about the friend who drinks soy milk but fears tofu. Either the two foods would be similar or surely soymilk would have more, if anything. I don't think it's re: her reproductive health, either. I'm not actually sure. I've seen those isoflavones charts and they vary but generally look like tofu in modest amounts is less but it depends how much you're eating. Maybe I should moderate mine but it doesn't seem to make thaaaaat much difference.

Jessandreia (great name!) , thanks! I'll check that out! Sounds very helpful! I'm a little wary of supplemented vitamins and minerals because it's easy to get too much but am open to it these days.
#11 Old 08-03-2016, 02:49 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

If you want to gain weight, ease up on the extra exercise.
Beets&Beats likes this.
#12 Old 08-03-2016, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep. Been doing that for the last 3 days . I just really love riding as my commute and refuse to give that fresh air up .
It's still less and also not on weekends. Protein isn't just for gaining weight. I'm just really keen to rebuild the bits of me that suffered when I was really sick/undiagnosed blah blah blah.
#13 Old 08-03-2016, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Gaining weight is about calories.
LedBoots and Beets&Beats like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#14 Old 08-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I know this! I do. And I'm doing it successfully and get plenty of calories these days. But I also know protein is important and the GP said extra protein would be beneficial.

Either way, things are good so I'm doing something right . yay!
#15 Old 09-13-2016, 03:31 PM
99% Vegan

Dr. Oz and his guest (I think it was Dr. Barnard) have both said that soy does not cause infertility. That was a myth that has been unfounded. The estrogens are different. Plant based estrogens, do not have the negative effect of non-plant based estrogens. However, GMO Soy is still not recommended. Non-GMO soy is best.

As far as peer reviews, instead I give you China and Japan. They are very well populated and eat lots of soy.

The Omni Sellers (farmers and their organizations) benefit from keeping anti-vegan myths alive. They want you to believe tofu is bad so that you "can't get a complete protein source" and will eat animal instead. We know better! Quinoa is a complete protein source. Eating Brown rice, nuts and beans still gives you all the protein you need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Allergic99%Vegan
#16 Old 11-02-2016, 05:03 AM

Good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
The health benefits of soy come, in part, from a group of compounds known as isoflavones. The two most prominent isoflavones are genistein and daidzein. All soy foods contain varying amounts of isoflavones. Here’s how the various types of soy foods stack up for isoflavones:

Raw soybeans (½ cup): 34 g soy protein, 176 mg isoflavones
Roasted soybeans/soy nuts (½ cup): 30 g, 167 mg
Tempeh (4 ounces): 19 g, 61 mg
Soy protein (1 ounce): 26 g, 57 mg
Soy flour (¼ cup): 8 g, 44 mg
Tofu (4 ounces): 18 g, 38 mg
Textured soy protein (¼ cup): 18 g, 28 mg
Soy milk (8 ounces): 10 g, 20 mg

Soy isoflavones are plant estrogens (phytoestrogens). Similar in chemical structure to human estrogen, they bind to estrogen receptors around the body. However, soy phytoestrogens are much weaker than human estrogen, which is why, scientists believe, soy foods may help prevent breast cancer.

and a breakdown of typical nutrients:

What does your doctor suggest for your fertility and is your husband as concerned with his?
Isoflavones don't seem to have that much effect on fertility, at least not compared with so many others

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page