how do YOU make seitan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-19-2004, 08:09 PM
Heart Beet

everytime i attempt seitan i screw it up. how do those of you who don't actually do it? what are some good recipes for it? help me for i am lost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-19-2004, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I have only made it from scratch once. But I know some people here make it regularly, so if you post what problems you are having, they might be able to help.

The time I made it, it turned out really spongy, but it tasted alright. I just followed the instructions on the box of gluten (Arrowhead Mills brand). Following their instructions to the letter produced serviceable, but rather bland seitan.

Next time I try it, I'm going to use Kreeli's recipe, which you can find here: http://www.veganmania.com/

Scroll down to "vegan ingredient substitutions" and click "seitan." She has recipes for chicken style and beef style seitan steaks.
#3 Old 09-20-2004, 05:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I made it a few time out of Garden of Vegan. All you need is vital wheat gluten, water & braggs. It was pretty good.

But now we make a batch of Kreeli's every week or so. It freezes beautifully and we use it in all kind of recipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-20-2004, 05:40 AM

I've never had it. What's it like?
#5 Old 09-20-2004, 05:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never had store bought seitan, which I think is a good thing. I'd be trying to find that elusive recipe that makes it just right.

It's kind of bouncy, and has a nice mouth-feel. Not too dense. I make the "beefy" version of Kreeli's seitan. I coat it and fry it up for sweet & sour. I serve the steaks whole for steak w/gravy, taters, & biscuits. I used it in an awesome stroganoff recipe last week. It's not hard to chew like meat, but it has a good substantial texture to it.

In other praise of Kreeli's recipe, it makes 18-24 steaks. Three steaks serves my family if I make 18 out of it. That's six meals for about an hour of work in the kitchen.
#6 Old 09-20-2004, 06:23 AM

Wow. I've got to try it this weekend. Kreelie's recipes are great.
#7 Old 09-20-2004, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I love seitan. I don't know how I did without it for so long! It's so filling and provides a nice texture to things too. I used some last night in "steak" fajitas and it was terrific. And Kreeli's recipe is totally the best I've tried so far. I half the recipe, though, since I only make it for myself. (Tip - if you do freeze it, wrap the steaks individually in wax paper or whatever. I made the mistake once of just throwing them all in a freezer bag and then when I took the bag out to thaw, I ended up with one big glob of seitan. )
#8 Old 09-20-2004, 07:20 PM
Heart Beet

ok, it's the spongy thing i am trying to avoid. it seriously makes me queasy and that would be bad when one is hungry. i want something... denser i guess. the first time i tried it, it was the recipe from Garden of Vegan and i nearly lost it. i need a different recipe for sure...
#9 Old 09-20-2004, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I use a recipe from Vegan Vittles by Joanne Stepaniak.

I've never had store bought seitan either, I've only had my own - so nothing really to compare it to. I guess it's spongy after it's been boiled for an hour, but after it's been frozen and thawed, I find it fairly firm. Have you frozen and thawed yours?

I haven't seen the GoV recipe, so I'm not sure what the differences are between it and the VV recipe that I use. I'm wondering though if you are not cooking it for long enough, or if you don't have the correct flour or something?
#10 Old 09-21-2004, 06:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I bake my gluten patties for about 1 hour ( 1/2 hour each side ) at 350* in a 9x13 pan with some cooking/simmering broth. I use lots of different recipes, and I've found this way to be sponge proof Give it a try next time. Make sure that when you put the gluten in the pan, it's not touching each other. Also, just put in enough cooking/simmering liquid to come up to the top of the gluten, don't submerge it. I cook all my seitan this way, stovetop just doesn't work out for me. I like my seitan dense and "meaty" not spongy and gross
#11 Old 09-21-2004, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

I made it a few time out of Garden of Vegan. All you need is vital wheat gluten, water & braggs. It was pretty good.

Yeah, that's what I use, except I use cheap-o store brand soy sauce instead of Braggs. Kreeli's recipe looks amazing, but I like the GoV recipe because it only has a few ingredients, so it's more convenient for me. I have no doubts that Kreeli's tastes better, but this one serves my purposes ok.

When I made it I really thought I did something wrong. It was so soft and spongy. But it firmed a little when it cooled, and the recipes I used it in turned out ok, so I think I did it right. It didn't really taste like the seitan I've bought in prepared dinners though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page