• 1 Post By Jinga
  • 1 Post By Joan Kennedy
  • 1 Post By Joan Kennedy
  • 3 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 2 Post By silva

#1 Old 05-31-2016, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

I bought Soylent!

For anyone who doesn't know Soylent is a new vegan food replacement drink: https://www.soylent.com/

A big box of Soylent 2.0 arrived and my boyfriend and I are experimenting with having only that for food today to see what we think.

So far it's pretty good! I had one bottle for breakfast and will be having another one soon. Taste-wise it's mostly bland but tastes a bit like the milk leftover from eating cereal. I don't feel particularly hungry yet but we will see if that changes by the end of the day.

Has anyone else tried it? I'm considering ordering more and trying to live off it for a month, the idea of not having to plan meals or worry about nutrition is pretty appealing but I'm wondering if there would be any adverse effects long-term.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-31-2016, 05:02 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
For anyone who doesn't know Soylent is a new vegan food replacement drink: https://www.soylent.com/

A big box of Soylent 2.0 arrived and my boyfriend and I are experimenting with having only that for food today to see what we think.

So far it's pretty good! I had one bottle for breakfast and will be having another one soon. Taste-wise it's mostly bland but tastes a bit like the milk leftover from eating cereal. I don't feel particularly hungry yet but we will see if that changes by the end of the day.

Has anyone else tried it? I'm considering ordering more and trying to live off it for a month, the idea of not having to plan meals or worry about nutrition is pretty appealing but I'm wondering if there would be any adverse effects long-term.
I researched it awhile back, and my son and I were talking about trying it. I wanted it for breakfast because I need something easy to eat in the mornings. It looked pretty good and we saw no reason to think it is unsafe or anything. My son was thinking he'd have it right after a workout.

I never did actually get it, so how does it taste? Let me know your experiences with soylent.
#3 Old 05-31-2016, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

My son Louie drinks it; he's not vegan but the drink is getting some cachet with tech people who work through meals. Anyway, Louie gave me one of his bottles, and for me it would take a lot of getting used to. If I put cocoa powder and sweetener in, it would be fine. But there's no blender in the car for road trips, which is where I'd be most interested in meal replacement drinks. Looks like it's not possible to buy just one or two bottles to try it out. If you have to buy a whole case, you're invested in finding a way to like it.
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-31-2016, 08:11 PM
Beanitarian

I can't help myself.

Beanitarian.
#5 Old 05-31-2016, 09:26 PM
Vegan since 1991

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#6 Old 06-01-2016, 06:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I have Solyent on my to-do list. I figure eliminating the time wasted preparing at least breakfast and lunch will recover a lot of new time for me--- if that makes sense.
#7 Old 06-01-2016, 07:01 AM
Baby Love

I'm having trouble figuring out if this is a joke thread or not! Going off food for a month and just living on a nutritional drink does not sound healthy at all
#8 Old 06-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post
I'm having trouble figuring out if this is a joke thread or not! Going off food for a month and just living on a nutritional drink does not sound healthy at all
I'm right there with ya! I can't even imagine. I was in an eating disorder treatment center years ago with several women who had lived on liquids for months (sometimes it was stuff like ensure too, not just diet pop or juice) and it really screwed up their digestion. Fresh fruits and vegetables, beans, grains all have fiber, clean the colon, are filling, provide natural substances that are good for the body that you can't find in a bottle or supplement. And preparing food doesn't take all that long. I work ten hour days sometimes and six days per week often, workout 1.5 hours a day, study for two hours, barely have time for much else unless I take time off and travel lol. I still find time to prepare all my meals. I can have dinner within twenty to thirty minutes of getting home from work. Gourmet food isn't necessary.

I actually find this thread quite triggering, even if I know logically what is good for me. There is always that part of me that would love to pare my intake back down to simple liquids, or a few pieces of fruit each day. It's still stressful for me to eat socially around others, and sometimes nourishing myself is frigging hard when I don't feel I deserve it. And everywhere I turn people talk about dieting or restricting and this sort of thing. I guess I just find it discouraging. I personally would never recommend someone live on liquids, even for a short time, unless of course they had major medical issues like short bowel syndrome or were post op from gastric bypass or something. I think it is great that products like Soylent exist for that purpose, or for those who just want an extra boost.

Sorry to be the downer here. If this is all a joke, disregard.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 06-01-2016, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry, triggering was the last thing I'd expected to hear about this thread! If it helps, a person can think about a drink like this replacing only the worst meal of the day, like the meal that for millions of people comes with soda and french fries.

If cooking food is important to you, a meal-replacement drink is a solution in search of a problem. But if cooking (as well as shopping and meal planning, and clean-up) falls on one member of a household disproportionately, and takes time away from things you'd much rather be doing, then Yay for Soylent! Food is about the nutrients more than the ingredients. The fiber and micronutrients are part of it, it's not a weight-loss tool like SlimFast. It might even make an excellent smoothie base with added fresh fruit blended in. People eat potato chips and drink Dr. Pepper when they're too busy to make a meal. If Soylent is nutritionally complete, it can avert many negative effects of junk alternatives. A product like this really does address the reasoning behind sayings like "Eat to live, don't live to eat." It's no joke.
LedBoots likes this.

Last edited by Joan Kennedy; 06-01-2016 at 09:32 PM.
#10 Old 06-02-2016, 04:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I can see that reasoning, but I just can't "get over" the idea of living on a bottle of liquid or powder. I found these articles when doing some further research that I thought were interesting and maybe addresses some stuff that makes me hesitant about it, namely enjoyment of the texture, smells, satisfaction, and other aspects of eating, and the social aspect of food. These articles are not all negative or positive on Soylent, just observations.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/17/58...id-nourishment

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2013/08/20/soylent/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...ffd_story.html

This is something that fascinates me, because food has been such a struggle for me as far as the social aspect, and finding a balance of enjoyment versus necessity, control versus letting go and relaxing some, obsession versus not having to worry about nutrition.

One thing about the nutrition content of Soylent, I would find the fat percentage way too high for my comfort zone, and carbs too little, but that's just my personal style.
Jinga likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 06-02-2016, 08:49 AM
Baby Love

I don't think it's an issue to use a nutritional drink on occasion for a snack, to get a little something in your stomach, but to live off of it for an extended period of time is another matter. Although, you are consuming calories and other nutrients to stay alive, you are not actually eating. It's hard for me to imagine someone choosing not to eat for a month without physical of mental health challenges associated with it.
Naturebound likes this.
#12 Old 06-02-2016, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

This is something that fascinates me, because food has been such a struggle for me as far as the social aspect, and finding a balance of enjoyment versus necessity, control versus letting go and relaxing some, obsession versus not having to worry about nutrition.

One thing about the nutrition content of Soylent, I would find the fat percentage way too high for my comfort zone, and carbs too little, but that's just my personal style.
Are you feeling the irony here? Taste, enjoyment, social aspects of eating, are precisely the things that give so many people pause when they think about going vegetarian or vegan. But for Soylent, it's not an all-or-nothing proposition. It doesn't pass or fail on whether most people would switch out all their other food for it. Although there are people who do subsist on this, I think the overwhelming majority of Soylent customers substitute one meal a day or less with it. The way my mother had us drinking Instant Breakfast for awhile in the 1960s. I enjoyed the taste of that stuff so much better than her infamous cold oatmeal.

The fats in Soylent are monounsaturated. The percentage of fat goes down, and the percentage of carb goes up, if you add most of the more popular flavorings for palatability, like Hershey's Syrup. Surely that wouldn't make the drink healthier than drinking it plain, just the opposite. Though some tweak like that would be absolutely necessary for most people to drink it at all. I'd be more for trying blueberries or strawberries, and seeing if added sweetener was even necessary.

My son tells me you get used to it and it eventually tastes fine. He uses it when he works through lunch, not to substitute for, say, dinner at home. At his office most of his co-workers have lunch at their desks, so the social aspect is planed out.

It's not too hard for people to monitor their own energy levels and weight if Soylent were to become a major part of their diet. Just like with any other major change, it's good to get a baseline reading on your cholesterol and blood pressure and lipids and all that before going Soylent. That way, at the check-up after that, any positive or negative changes from that first baseline reading would have context.
Naturebound likes this.

Last edited by Joan Kennedy; 06-02-2016 at 09:22 AM.
#13 Old 06-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

I recall hearing an interview where he talked about soylent being used as emergency food for diaster relief. When you think of getting supplies to devestated areas it makes a lot of sense to ship crates of one inclusive product.

I also can see this as a type of "meal replacement", not for everything, but the same as any protein shake. I used a protein/vitamin shake to start the day when I first went vegan just to aleve the worry of missing something, as well as take the pressure off what to eat!

It would great on camping trips, or just to have on hand when traveling
#14 Old 06-05-2016, 07:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I was thinking of it as a quick lunch food. We get about 15 minutes for lunch, and even then, there are things to do while we are at lunch. A good "smoothie" type lunch with no clean up is just the ticket.
#15 Old 06-05-2016, 04:27 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

As a nutritionist, I would be concerned with this, mostly due to the physical fiber in plant foods being so important, as well as losing out on the phyto-nutrients your body is likely used to getting from whole plant foods as a vegan. There's enough research out there showing the protective properties of such things, and losing them, especially if you live in an industrial area, isn't necessarily the best. Food is so much more than just micronutrients and macronutrients, it reacts to our systems and with our microflora in ways that research can barely comprehend because the processes are muilti-faceted and research by its nature only wants to isolate one or two things as cause and effect.

The focus on localized microbiomes in individual people has just come into fruition, and it's already well documented that the gut flora of vegans looks very different from omni gut flora, and they eat things your body can't and produce things that your body needs. That's why we host them, and if you're only providing for yourself you may lose out on things that you would otherwise get from your gut flora. Maybe one meal a day, if that, but I wouldn't live off of it for an entire month. I know I'm being vague here, but it would be pages and pages if I were to explain everything I learned on the subject when I was in college. x.x

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

#16 Old 06-05-2016, 09:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliakai View Post
As a nutritionist, I would be concerned with this, mostly due to the physical fiber in plant foods being so important, as well as losing out on the phyto-nutrients your body is likely used to getting from whole plant foods as a vegan.
As a nutritionist, are you concerned for the health of anyone who drinks a 400-calorie bottle of this stuff five or six times a week, or only for that hypothetical unicorn who'd throw over all their other food for it? And doesn’t that really depend on what they’d be eating if they weren’t drinking this instead? First of all, I’m here to tell you, Soylent doesn’t taste so good. In fact, the taste is exceedingly sub-par. The site that sells it maintains a whole message board for people who are trying to figure out how they can make it palatable! My point being that it's not so enticing for people who eat emotionally or have immature judgment. If you’ve examined its nutritional profile, how do you think it compares to a day’s worth of egg McMuffins and Whoppers and liter soda servings? I beat the drum on fast food on this thread because that’s the gold standard here, that’s Solent’s competition. People who don’t cook, who live in food deserts, who work through their meal breaks, pretty much live on fast food. You've written how you think it compares to standard vegan fare, but how would you say it compare to Arby's and Burger King and McDonalds?
LedBoots likes this.

Last edited by Joan Kennedy; 06-05-2016 at 10:34 PM.
#17 Old 06-05-2016, 10:10 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Kennedy View Post
As a nutritionist, are you concerned for the health of anyone who drinks a 400-calorie bottle of this stuff five or six times a week, or only for that hypothetical unicorn who'd throw over all their other food for it? And doesn’t that really depend on what they’d be eating if they weren’t drinking this instead? First of all, I’m here to tell you, Soylent doesn’t taste so good. In fact, the taste is exceedingly sub-par. The site that sells it maintains a whole message board for people who are trying to figure out how they can make it palatable! If you’ve examined its nutritional profile, how do you think it compares to a day’s worth of egg McMuffins and Whoppers and liter soda servings? I beat the drum on fast food on this thread because that’s the gold standard here, that’s Solent’s competition. People who don’t cook, who live in food deserts, who work through their meal breaks, pretty much live on fast food. You've written how you think it compares to standard vegan fare, but how would you say it compare to Arby's and Burger King and McDonalds?
Significantly better, but I was advising Werewolf Girl specifically as a vegan I've been talking to on the board for years back and forth. I quoted the part where she specifically said that she was interested in "living off of it" for a month and made sure to preface my statement with "it should be okay for one meal a day but I wouldn't recommend much more than that." I don't advise eating animal products in general for most people, as there are better and more efficient (in terms of nutrient density) ways to get any nutrient you might be deficient in, except B12 which must be supplemented in some form. I feel like you're comparing apples to lettuce here.

I also advised that whole foods provide significantly more than micro and macro nutrients, and that we are only really beginning to understand the interaction between these "minor" compounds and overall human health, but that no real attempts to isolate any one specific compound or nutrient have ever managed to produce the astounding health positives that a whole foods diet does. I understand that multiple people have mentioned that it's relatively unpalatable, but I feel that my response was fairly specific to the comment I quoted. She also said she was wondering if there were any long term adverse effects from an entirely supplemented diet, and I was mentioning that those interactions might be a consideration (meaning the interactions that gut flora have with whole, unprocessed foods) if she's considering switching from a whole foods vegan diet to a soylent one for a month.

Edit: I think that as an emergency food, it's a wonderful idea, but it wouldn't be much better than an interim solution for food deserts. There needs to be active work being done on alleviating the food desert effect in poorer areas, more than just providing a neutral tasting alternate that would eventually drive people back into the more flavorful, if unhealthy, meat based alternatives. I used to run a program for a non profit that taught people how to grow food on their patios, and included cooking classes for inexpensive veg/vegan fare. If you qualified for food stamps you qualified for our programs. We also ran a community garden for a while that donated its produce to the local food banks with a small portion going to donors and volunteers, until the church that hosted the land decided to take it over for youth groups. So I know all about the food desert problem.

Also, I shouldn't say "as a nutritionist," because that would be a misnomer. I have all the education to be one, and most of the residency, but I backed out of college at the end due to size discrimination and some complications involving records. Nothing I did wrong, just got fed up. I'm a writer with the education of a nutritionist.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

Last edited by Aliakai; 06-05-2016 at 10:20 PM.
#18 Old 06-06-2016, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! After thinking about it and reading your concerns I've decided I'm just going to use Soylent as an easy food for breakfast or other situations where I need a quick meal, I think I love regular food too much to commit to doing it for a whole month anyway!

I'm really terrible about remembering to eat breakfast and this would be a great lazy way to make sure I don't get super hungry and tired before lunch.

I also agree it would be great as an emergency food, it seems ideal for that sort of thing. I hope they actually start doing it, it might help a lot of people and the fact that it's also vegan and doesn't harm animals is a huge benefit as well. Any time a non-vegan drinks Soylent instead of eating meat it's kind of a sneaky win for us in a way right?

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#19 Old 07-09-2016, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I got 12 bottles of it delivered day before yesterday. Each bottle is 16 ounces, and I split each one for two drinks. My tenants had left me about five pounds of frozen strawberries, so each drink I blend in the food processor is one cup of Soylent and one cup of fruit, plus agave nectar. If I used something sweeter like blueberries I probably wouldn't even need the agave, but I like using it with fruit that's more tart.

Fruit makes all the difference; it's now enjoyable, instead of an experience of just trying to get it down. Somebody on a Soylent forum wrote: "No, Soylent isn't made out of people, but if it were it would probably help the taste."

I'm using the Soylent/strawberry blend to replace maybe one meal a day. If the chocolate syrup idea works out, I might use it to replace two meals a day on my next cross-country drive. With the other meal at a restaurant I find with HappyCow.
#20 Old 07-09-2016, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Thought I'd add my recipe for a good chocolate syrup

wisk
1 and 2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup cocoa
in a saucepan
and one cup water
Stir constently over medium heat until it boils, takes about 10-15 minutes. Continue stirring for one more minute. Take off the heat and let cool, and add one teaspoon vanilla. I like to keep wisking after I take off the heat just to be sure it doesn't scorch the bottom of the pan

Much like Hersheys syrup, which I do believe is vegan, but this is better, esp if you use good cocoa. I put in a jar in the fridge and lasts a long time.
Joan Kennedy and LedBoots like this.
#21 Old 07-11-2016, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

That sounds delicious! Surprisingly I don't mind the taste though, it's better when it's cold but it mostly tastes like bland creamy cereal milk to me. Fruit or chocolate would definitely spice it up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page