Opinions on Food Processor/Blender combo - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-19-2016, 06:26 PM
Plant Powered

Opinions on Food Processor/Blender combo

Hi friends,

So I dropped the mixer bowl on my food processor and totally thrashed it Tried making hummus in my blender but it's an old/cheap model that isn't up to the task. I don't want to spend a fortune or get anything too large, as I'm very limited in funds and counter space LOL - and it's only me and my husband so we don't need large amounts of food.

I was looking at options for a combo food processor/blender and found one by Ninja (Master Prep Pro) - it's not a bad price point but I was wondering if anyone had any input or other suggestions?

I don't need it to be able to do grating, slicing, etc. like a "proper" food processor; basically, just chop nuts, make hummus, blend soups, make smoothies/bash ice etc.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-19-2016, 07:38 PM
Veggie Recycler

Ack, need this too. As of yet mash beans, avacado, and potatoes by hand like it's the 19th century...I really don't mind, but honestly want to make more foods at home, like nut cheese, rawtella, and vegan sour cream. Will be paying attention here.
#3 Old 05-19-2016, 09:10 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
Ack, need this too. As of yet mash beans, avacado, and potatoes by hand like it's the 19th century...I really don't mind, but honestly want to make more foods at home, like nut cheese, rawtella, and vegan sour cream. Will be paying attention here.
If you want to make nut cheeses and sour creams, you really do need a high speed blender. That said, I know they're expensive, but most of them (my Vitamix included) have instructions for how to use them like a food processor, and at what speeds for most things.

I used to have a Cuisinart food processor that worked pretty darn well as both a food processor and a rather weak blender, but for a lot of the higher-powered applications, a high speed blender really is best.

If you have a stand mixer, some of them have food processor attachments that work well in a pinch as well. ^^

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-20-2016, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...S5K9S8BEZ89FVM

Like that? I had one I gave to my son--really liked it. I got mine at black friday sale for about 30--amazon has that price reserved for Prime members- you can join and then quit for free. It's worth it;s price as a blender. Crushing ice for frozen drinks very well, does green smoothies with kale well. The top has the motor and doesn't have an way to add things during operation.
It also does a good job of chopping with the smaller bowl and blades, which come with a lid

I'd get this if price is a factor. Personally I love the larger bowls of regular food processors, but they don't often go on sale. Mine has a crack at the top that leaks so i'm keeping an eye out for one
#5 Old 05-20-2016, 02:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I love my Blendtec. I use it for grinding whole grain seeds to flour; for making bean and hummus dips; for making banana ice cream; for making homemade nut and seed butters; even grinding whole coffee beans; making almond flour; making raw or cooked soups or blending soups to make them creamier; tofu puddings; homemade nut based vegan mayonnaise; tons of differnt smoothies; tomato sauce; plant milks (flaxseed milk, almond milk, rice milk, coconut milk...).

It does NOT work well however for chopping vegetables, as it nearly liquifies them if you do any more than a very quick pulse.

It is expensive (slightly cheaper than Vitamix but not by much) but is not that huge. No different than a regular blender size wise. I have the smallest one I believe. I love how easy it is to clean. Most lower end blenders have tons of blades and parts that make it harder to clean them. I have had my Blendtec for five years as of June, and it records how many times you have used it each time you turn it on, and I have over 1000 uses from it so far and it is still going strong. High speed blenders often have a lifetime warranty. I once accidentally left a fork in my blendtec when stirring something and getting distracted by something on the stove. I came back to my blender and put the lid on and turned it on and hard this awful noise. My fork was all bent up but the Blendtec was fine lol.

I was a poor college student working part time when I bought mine, but I had saved some money for a while to get it. And I know I have saved a lot of money using it because I used to buy gluten free flours for making stuff for my Mom who eats gluten free. Now I can buy stuff like millet or quinoa or buckwheat groats in bulk, use them in my everyday cooking, and grind just the amount I need for a flour I need for a gluten free recipe. I don't have to spend a fortune on special flours. I also save money when I make my own flaxseed milk as opposed to buying it commercially, though whole cashews and almonds are still very expensive to buy to make milk.

If something ever happened to my Blendtec and I could not afford to buy a new one (more than likely I would use my credit card and then pay that off over a period of time), I would probably go to a food processor for making stuff like hummus or nut butter. Maybe a Ninja for simple smoothies. I really don't know enough about them though at this point.

I will warn that high speed blenders, food processors and so on do use a lot of energy. The wiring/electricity in my house sucks (THAT I can't afford to fix right now) so when I do use my Blendtec I have to make sure there is very little other stuff on or running. If I lived in an apartment I am not sure if I would use my Blendtec late at night or early morning because it is loud too lol.

All that said, I went without a blender for a little while as a vegan and I still had a lot of fun with cooking. But I really wanted to make more from scratch with nuts and so on, like almond alfredo or nut cheese. I once went a week just eating whole fruits/veggies and nuts without using any machine just to see if I could do it and I could but it was hard lol.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 05-20-2016, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a Nutribullet that works really well for smoothies and hummus. We were using my friend's Vitamix this winter and I actually prefer the Nutribullet. It is so much easier to clean and does not take up as much room.
#7 Old 05-20-2016, 10:19 AM
Plant Powered

Like that? I had one I gave to my son--really liked it. I got mine at black friday sale for about 30--amazon has that price reserved for Prime members- you can join and then quit for free. It's worth it;s price as a blender. Crushing ice for frozen drinks very well, does green smoothies with kale well. The top has the motor and doesn't have an way to add things during operation.
It also does a good job of chopping with the smaller bowl and blades, which come with a lid

I'd get this if price is a factor. Personally I love the larger bowls of regular food processors, but they don't often go on sale. Mine has a crack at the top that leaks so i'm keeping an eye out for one[/QUOTE]

Yes! Except the Canadian price is like twice that much
#8 Old 05-20-2016, 10:22 AM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post
I have a Nutribullet that works really well for smoothies and hummus. We were using my friend's Vitamix this winter and I actually prefer the Nutribullet. It is so much easier to clean and does not take up as much room.
That's super helpful, thanks!! It isn't that much more than the Ninja, but has a much more powerful motor, and I see it also has a milling attachment, which could come in real handy for grinding nuts/seeds for flours
#9 Old 05-20-2016, 10:36 AM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I once accidentally left a fork in my blendtec when stirring something and getting distracted by something on the stove. I came back to my blender and put the lid on and turned it on and hard this awful noise. My fork was all bent up but the Blendtec was fine lol.
Now THAT is an infomercial waiting to happen!!
#10 Old 05-23-2016, 06:55 PM
Plant Powered

So I got a NutriBullet, and the verdict is as follows:

- It is much better than my old blender at blending things, but you have to have some liquid in there for it to work; so far I've done smoothies and salad dressings no problem; it pulverizes flax seeds too, which is awesome!
- The milling blade is fabulous for breaking down nuts and seeds; I ground one cup of cashews to dust in ten seconds; it was almost scary how fast it worked!
- It does NOT do thick mixtures at all LOL. I was making veggie burgers the other night and just needed to pulse the mix to get it emulsified a bit and it didn't even move LOL. Haven't tried it with hummus yet, so it might be ok if there's enough liquid in there to get it going.

Overall, well worth replacing my blender for, but I've duct taped my food processor bowl so I can still use that for thicker mixtures, for the time being :P One day I'll probably save up and invest in a Vitamix :P
#11 Old 06-23-2016, 12:55 AM

Hi Symondezyn, I have an Omniblend V and I'm super happy with it. It's cheaper than a Vitamix and it works awesome. I make tons of smoothies, cheese sauces with cashews, hummus, and nice cream with it every day. I got it like 3 years ago and never had any problems.. So this might be an option too. :-)
#12 Old 06-24-2016, 11:32 AM

I use my Vitamix for everything and a I have a Cuisinart professional food processor that works like a dream.
#13 Old 06-29-2016, 08:50 AM

I bought the ninja package a couple years back. It's the blender, single serve and processor all in one. It literally changed my life, culinarily speaking.

I use it just about everyday, either making hummus, a puree, or smoothies and the quality of the end product is so much better than cheapy blenders.

Use Friendly Reminders to create and share your culinary profile for Facebook events.

Friendly Reminders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page