Vegan recipes without onions, garlic, leeks, etc.? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aliakai

#1 Old 05-14-2016, 06:16 PM

Vegan recipes without onions, garlic, leeks, etc.?

So, it turns out, I may be intolerant to garlic and onions. And most likely other things in that family, such as shallots, leeks, and chives. Every time I have a dish with any garlic or onion, digestive problems arise. The more garlic/onions, the worse it gets. I've been getting pretty ill recently because I seem to be eating more garlic and onion as a vegan.

One problem. EVERYTHING with flavour has one or more of these things. Help. Any good recipes without these things in them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2016, 06:35 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

This website has some suggestions for substitutes, both for allergies and flavor. Asefoetida substitutes for the flavor of onions, and at the bottom of the article are some spice substitutes for garlic. Hope that helps. You can always add extra spices and omit garlic and onions entirely. Did a doctor do a test showing you had an allergy? Or do you just not like the flavors?
#3 Old 05-14-2016, 07:00 PM

Thanks!

I didn't go to a doctor. And I do like the taste of onions and garlic, I just simply get ill whenever I consume much of it.

I must have thrown up about ten times this year, all on separate occasions. Overly greasy or oniony/garlicky foods are always the culprit. The most recent incidents were caused by mushrooms fried in onion and garlic, and a soup with a lot of onion. Oniony samosas have made me ill in the past too, multiple times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-14-2016, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Is it possible that you can't handle oil? I am only asking because I do not use oil in any dish and use veggie broth to saute anything. If not then just go with out it and use spices.
#5 Old 05-14-2016, 09:04 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember Ruby View Post
Thanks!

I didn't go to a doctor. And I do like the taste of onions and garlic, I just simply get ill whenever I consume much of it.

I must have thrown up about ten times this year, all on separate occasions. Overly greasy or oniony/garlicky foods are always the culprit. The most recent incidents were caused by mushrooms fried in onion and garlic, and a soup with a lot of onion. Oniony samosas have made me ill in the past too, multiple times.
Most of those foods also contain grains. I'd consider you get an allergy test done by a doctor for alliums to guarantee it. If it comes out negative, you may be FODMAP sensitive, which are found in heavy concentrations in garlic, wheat, onions, and barley (both of the sources I linked are vegan articles/resources on FODMAPs, the first about how to get protein as a vegan without too many of them and the second on what foods commonly contain them). Although not vegan, this source talks about how to add flavor to your food without garlic and onions as well. Most people who think they're gluten intolerant are actually sensitive to FODMAPS.
David3 likes this.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Aliakai; 05-14-2016 at 09:06 PM.
#6 Old 05-15-2016, 05:27 AM

I don't tend to cook with much oil, if any at all. The mushrooms were not cooked in oil.

Ooh. I do plan on getting an allergy test, but that's interesting. Excessive amounts of wheat appears to not do my digestion much good either.

Oh and I can't even chop garlic without setting my hands on fire within seconds, and my eyes begin to sting and water so much I can barely see anything. My eyes also react badly to onion and shallot gas. A lot more than other people, it seems.

Last edited by Ember Ruby; 05-15-2016 at 05:36 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page