• 1 Post By silva
  • 4 Post By Aliakai
  • 1 Post By Jenn2
  • 2 Post By Aliakai
  • 2 Post By Aliakai
  • 1 Post By Aliakai

#1 Old 05-07-2016, 12:15 AM
The Corpulent Vegan

What Should My Next Recipe Conversion Be?

I have a ton of ideas flitting around my head for recipe conversions for my blog and here, and I was wondering what you guys think I should do. Any one of them will be gluten free and vegan, because my house is GF and we're all vegan, so bear that in mind. Some ideas I already have include:

-GF "egg" roll wrappers
-GF gyoza (pot stickers)
-GF ravioli and various fillings
-GF sourdough and "rye" bread
-TVP chunk pressure cooker stroganoff
-GF doughnut holes
-GF chocolate lava cakes

In other words, I'm on a baking binge, but if you would like to see clones of main dishes or side dishes, please suggest them. This isn't a plug for my blog, I'd really like to work on development of stuff that the community as a whole is interested in, so toss all the ideas at me. I'll let you guys know if I manage to succeed.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-07-2016, 03:35 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I know that my niece and nephew, who have celiac disease, are obsessed with great pasta sauces to use with the sometimes iffy gluten free pastas.
#3 Old 05-07-2016, 07:36 AM
Beginner

All the above ideas sound yummy!

Since going vegan, I have missed my favourite spaghetti squash lasagna. I used this recipe (http://www.food.com/recipe/spaghetti...ow-carb-203637) and it was delicious. When I was vegetarian, I used to make it every month or two and instead of the Italian sausage, I used TVP soaked in water with Italian spices, or veggie crumbles. The problem now is that I don't know how to make it taste good without the cheese and I'm afraid to wing it with daiya. I'm not that great at changing up recipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-07-2016, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Interesting - I note that you use a pressure cooker for your TVP chunk stroganoff..
My mother used to use her pressure cooker for the usual meaty stews and it was good for tenderising things - including beans (though she didn't often use it for those). I've not considered doing that with TVP before. How is it? Does it come out more tender cooked under pressure than just in a pan?? I've yet to be really happy with dishes made with TVP chunks, it's too rubbery for me and I also would like the flavours to really 'get in there'. I'd be curious to give it another go if pressure cooking might make the difference!
#5 Old 05-07-2016, 09:12 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliakai View Post
I have a ton of ideas flitting around my head for recipe conversions for my blog and here, and I was wondering what you guys think I should do. Any one of them will be gluten free and vegan, because my house is GF and we're all vegan, so bear that in mind. Some ideas I already have include:

-GF "egg" roll wrappers
-GF gyoza (pot stickers)
-GF ravioli and various fillings
-GF sourdough and "rye" bread
-TVP chunk pressure cooker stroganoff
-GF doughnut holes
-GF chocolate lava cakes

In other words, I'm on a baking binge, but if you would like to see clones of main dishes or side dishes, please suggest them. This isn't a plug for my blog, I'd really like to work on development of stuff that the community as a whole is interested in, so toss all the ideas at me. I'll let you guys know if I manage to succeed.
If I may, GL sourdough and "rye bread" would be awesome. I miss a good veggie sandwich so much. Your blog is wonderful, Aliakai.
#6 Old 05-07-2016, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I will be paying attention to your posts so that I can learn some good recipes. I have to admit that I am such a novice and getting past 5 or more ingredients is intimidating. Most of the dishes I cook call for sauteing onions or shallots, jalapeno peppers and garlic. I recently started using veggie broth instead of oil. It seems to work well. Everything seems to include beans and canned roasted tomatoes. I have four staple dishes I make and they all are very good. I do make an avocado salad that is really good but a lot of work for me. It is so yummy but I do not get the left overs I would like. I don't eat a lot of bread but I was recently living in a small ski town and they had an amazing place that made fresh bread. We would slice it up and put avocado, tomato, and roasted red bell peppers on it. Such a great sandwich but I would not stop eating the frickin bread. Since getting home a week ago I have made it on Ezekial bread and it has been pretty good.
#7 Old 05-07-2016, 12:04 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2 View Post
All the above ideas sound yummy!

Since going vegan, I have missed my favourite spaghetti squash lasagna. I used this recipe (http://www.food.com/recipe/spaghetti...ow-carb-203637) and it was delicious. When I was vegetarian, I used to make it every month or two and instead of the Italian sausage, I used TVP soaked in water with Italian spices, or veggie crumbles. The problem now is that I don't know how to make it taste good without the cheese and I'm afraid to wing it with daiya. I'm not that great at changing up recipes.
Tofu! Flavor some tofu, it's great in lasagna. (Going to look for a recipe brb)
Jenn2 likes this.
#8 Old 05-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Ok, here's one. (You can sub your spaghetti squash for the lasagna noodles of course, and I would spice the tofu ahead of time and let it marinate a bit)

Ingredients
Natural cooking spray oil
1 (14-ounce) package firm tofu, drained
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon garlic granules
Salt and pepper to taste
2 (25-ounce) jars vegan marinara sauce
3 bell peppers, cored, seeded and chopped
12 no-boil dried lasagna noodles
Serves 8
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a (9- x 13-inch) baking dish; set aside.

Wrap tofu in 3 or 4 layers of paper towels and gently press out as much water as possible, changing the paper towels once or twice as needed. Transfer tofu to a large bowl and add yeast, garlic, salt and pepper and mash with a fork. Set tofu mixture aside. Put marinara sauce into a medium pot and bring to a simmer. Add peppers and continue simmering until tender, about 10 minutes.

Spoon enough marinara sauce into prepared dish to cover the bottom and then arrange 4 noodles on top. Spread one-third of the tofu mixture over the noodles and then spoon more sauce over the tofu. Repeat the process 2 more times, ending with sauce. Cover with foil and bake until noodles are tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Set aside to let rest for 10 minutes and then serve.http://m.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe...n-tofu-lasagna
Jenn2 likes this.
#9 Old 05-07-2016, 12:59 PM
Give peas a chance

The ravioli would be interesting!

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#10 Old 05-07-2016, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

I second ravioli!

I make tofu ricotta with minced green olives, a bit of wine vinegar, garlic and onion powders, and nutritional yeast. It's about the only time I first press the tofu. Let set.
And just use a paper towel to line kitchen towels-- recipes always seem to say to 'change the paper towels', or use lots

Has anyone tried Aldi gluten free products? They have them in all areas
LedBoots likes this.
#11 Old 05-07-2016, 06:12 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

@LedBoots I'll be glad to work on development of a decent homemade GF pasta. Most of the sauces I use work relatively well with them, I've noticed the the more "umami" a sauce is, the more likely it is to bring out the aftertaste in quinoa based pastas. I'm working on a sorghum-brown rice-glutinous rice pasta recipe at the moment. I'm also working on saving up for pasta attachments for my stand mixer, as the more I have access to the more I can test the recipe. So far it works relatively well for lasagne and fettucine when rolled an cut by hand.

@Jenn2 I'd be more than happy to adapt that recipe for you! If you're willing to age a nut cheese for a little while (I promise it's worth it) then I can easily adapt this using various aged cheeses and rejuvelac. They're not PERFECT reproductions, but they have that sharp as opposed to tart flavor, much like Miyoko's creamery cheeses do. I'll see what I can do for you.

@silva and @Mojo I'll get right on the ravioli! I should be getting a ravioli maker attachment for my stand mixer relatively soon, but before that, the biggest thing I've noticed when making it is that ravioli molds are a GODSEND. I used to have one, I wonder if it disappeared somewhere. The recipe I'm working on is a sweet potato and "parm" ravioli using nutritional yeast and cashew crumbles, sweet potatoes, and smoky tvp as a filling. I smother it in a hempseed sage bechamel (cream sauce) and it's delicious, but the gluten free pasta is what I'm still experimenting with. I will succeed dangit!

@ellaj I have been working on learning how to make a sourdough levain using GF flours, and the one that has worked best so far has been sorghum. I'm hoping that I'll have a consistent recipe soon for you, so I'll make sure to tag you when it's done.

Thank you for all the suggestions, and if anyone else has more, keep them coming. My current priority order is:

-General working gluten free pasta dough
-Sourdough bread
-Pasta sauces/fillings for ravioli
-Lasagne adaptation using the above GF pasta dough
Mojo, LedBoots, Jenn2 and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 05-08-2016, 03:14 PM
Beginner

@Aliakai - Thanks! I would be happy to make an aged nut cheese, that would be a fun project, and I imagine it's delicious. Would you recommend any recipe in particular? The ones I found online seem very different from one another.

@LedBoots - Thank you for the tofu idea and recipe, that is so thoughtful of you! You always post such good advice
LedBoots likes this.
#13 Old 05-08-2016, 06:40 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

So I did another round of testing, and I might be close. This was a mix of sorghum/brown rice/tapioca/flax, and it cooked up al dente but didn't "hold its shape," in that it broke apart a little bit when I agitated it in the colander while rinsing it. It was hand rolled and cut into fettuccine shapes. I might add some quinoa to the mix to increase the protein and stickiness, but right now the ratios are:

1 cup brown rice flour
2/3 cup sorghum flour
1/3 cup tapioca starch
1.5 tsp xanthan gum
7.5 tbsp flax
1/2 cup water + 1/4 cup, divided

The flax is combined with the 1/2 cup warm water, then let sit a while until thickened (about 5-7 minutes). Combine the flours and xanthan gum in the bowl of a stand mixer or food processor. I used the paddle attachment. Add in the flax mix and blend on low to medium, adding the 1/4 cup water in tsp increments as necessary to bring the dough together. If it looks like thick crumbs then you're doing it right. Bring the dough together by hand, then divide into quarters. Wrap the quarters you aren't working with in plastic wrap, it tries to dry out quickly.

Roll by hand until EXTREMELY thin, then cut into lasagne/fettucine/ravioli widths. Bring a pot of water to a boil, add 1-2 tsp salt and a tsp or 2 of oil. Boil for 2-3 minutes or until al dente.

If you can think of anything to add or what I might be missing to help keep the noodles from tearing, be my guest for suggestions. They have little to no aftertaste and hold their actual shapes pretty well, they just tear easily. Again, it might be how I rolled and cut them.
LedBoots and Jenn2 like this.

#14 Old 05-12-2016, 06:36 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

UPDATE: I got the pasta maker attachments! So I should have a finished recipe by the end of tomorrow for you guys. I'm going to test it with spaghetti and fettucine, and if it works for those, make the ravioli and experiment with fillings. Thought you guys would like to know.
silva and LedBoots like this.

#15 Old 05-13-2016, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

I bet the attachment is great! I have a manual one that I got at a thrift store just for making crackers. Haven't done that in a long time
Do you have the food grinder attachment? I do and love it!
#16 Old 05-13-2016, 02:41 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I bet the attachment is great! I have a manual one that I got at a thrift store just for making crackers. Haven't done that in a long time
Do you have the food grinder attachment? I do and love it!
I don't have the food grinder attachment, the only ones I have right now are the flour mill and the pasta roller/cutter set. I'm saving up for the gourmet pasta extruder, ravioli maker, and food processor.

Also, working on the development of the brown rice/flax pasta above today, so I should have a post out by the end of today on pasta making with at least one or two recipes. I'm extremely close to getting it consistently right, and the pasta so far has had virtually no aftertaste, which is a really big deal for gluten free pasta. Especially because a lot of the commercial ones have quinoa in them, which I enjoy for some things in baking, but can have an overwhelming earthy aftertaste in cream sauces and some other applications. That, and I want to make a decent ravioli dough for the sweet potato and smoky tvp ravioli filling I've finally perfected!

The pasta will work for the lasagne noodles in the lasagne adaptation that @Jenn2 requested. My rejuvelac should be done in a day or two with the heat the way it is, and I'm working on a combination of rejuvelac and vegan yogurt to age some nice nut cheeses. I guess I'm a little closer to the Artisan Vegan Life community that Miyoko Schinner promotes than I thought...>.>
Jenn2 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page