I'd love some advice on food and ideas - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 2 Post By Aliakai

#1 Old 05-02-2016, 11:39 AM

Smile I'd love some advice on food and ideas

Hi everyone! So it's been a little over a year since I became a full fledged vegan, and I really desperately need some help and advice on new foods and ideas. I am an extremely picky eater, and I really do try new things and try to like them, but I just can't. I don't most if not all vegetables, vegan meats, tofu etc. It's getting really difficult and I am running out of things to eat. I really do eat the same old stuff every day, such as pasta, potatoes, fries, pizza (only with sauce, nothing else), grilled cheeses, PB & J's and not much else. I have known for a few months now that I am fairly anemic (my percentage on the hemoglobin was 10.4, and has only gone up to 10.5 in two months). I am now on Iron pills in attempt to bring my iron up, but they make me feel so sick. I really want to try new recipes and smoothies to get myself to like more things, but it's just so difficult. I would love some help/advice and recommendations. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2016, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

There are so many amazing bean and quinoa dishes. Rice is always a great thing to incorporate. You can make avocado and tomato sandwiches. A salad a day is not bad either. I am just learning to cook and am finding unlimited possibilities. I am pretty sure there are some great recipes on here, but you can also go to the Forks or Knifes website and get a lot. I google so many good recipes. If you take the time to cook it is well worth it.
#3 Old 05-02-2016, 03:09 PM
Veggie Recycler

Uh...you're going to have to get over the vegetable thing. Even if you don't want soy/tofu in your diet, you need vegetables to be a healthy vegan.

You can get fortified pasta sauce, blend kale into sweet smoothies, puree broccoli to stick into your pizza or pasta sauce, try eating sweet potatoes with your favorite toppings, and eat more pulses and grains. Beans and seeds will help with iron and necessary nutrients if you hate mock meats. You can put chickpeas on your pizza, put white beans in your pasta sauce, and scoop some lentils on your potato, maybe covered with your favorite sauce or topping (like BBQ sauce, or A1 and some sautéed mushrooms and onion??)

It wouldn't be a problem for you to eat what you do if you added more beans, lentils and veggies. However as of right now you look like a "junk food vegan" because of the lack of whole foods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-02-2016, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Important--this is not about being vegan, it's about being healthy. SO many people have this strange misconception that as meat eaters they can slack off the veggies, eat processed white grains, and somehow be better off than if they gave up the meat. Not true. The only variant really is that eating meat you're sure to get enough protein and calcium.

There are just as many ways to eat veg'n as there are as an omni. There are almost unlimited ways to eat veggies. I don't like veggies the way many people advise. You dont need to like kale, but yes, dark greens do have benefits others don't have, meat eaters need them just as much.
Cauliflower roasted with a drizzle of olive oil mixed with your favorite hot sauce
try thawing frozen veggies and stir frying with sauteed onions and garlic.
Steamed veggies with your favorite salad dressing
Dipped in hummus.
wrapped in a tortilla or sub bun with whatever toppings you put in a sub
Try this dip for a partry- does not taste like tofu and I've never known anyone to not like it if they like onion dip. I say party cause maybe you don't
One shelf stable pack silken tofu, one dethawed pack of chopped spinach, one packet of onion soup/dip mix, 1/2 cup vegan mayo (or regular but Just Mayo is super good). Whiz in a food processor.
You don't like things like Boca chik'n patties, not even the spicy?
#5 Old 05-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Vegan since 1991

Dark green leafy vegetables (like kale) are great in soup. Just remove the tough central stem, chop them, and add them to your favorite canned or homemade soup.

If you just can't stand dark green leafy vegetables, you can also get calcium from calcium-fortified orange juice or calcium-fortified plant milks (soymilk etc.).

You might like the sweet / crispy types of vegetables. Raw sugar snap peas (eat whole) and peeled jicama are great to snack on.

Lentils are iron-rich, and are easy/quick to cook. You can cook them, and then add them to your spaghetti sauce.

Tofu is also iron-rich. You can mash some with a fork, and add it to spaghetti sauce or oatmeal.

You can boost your body's absorption of iron by consuming vitamin C-rich foods with your meals.

Also, it's OK to take a multivitamin. Amazon carries a berry-flavored vegan multivitamin: http://www.amazon.com/VegLife-Vegan-...e+multivitamin . I take this one sometimes. Your local health food store may also carry something similar.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 05-02-2016 at 05:18 PM.
#6 Old 05-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

One of my favorite dishes is to make some brown rice or millet. While that is cooking, in another nonstick skillet add some black beans, shredded coconut, onion, cubed and peeled sweet potato, cauliflower pieces, and chopped broccoli. Add some vegetable broth and plant milk (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup) to your veggies, and add some spices like garlic powder, curry powder, garam masala, cardamon, ginger. Simmer/saute for about fifteen or twenty minutes (helps to have a lid over it) until everything is soft. Scoop this mixture over the rice or millet. Add a pinch of salt and pepper if you wish.

For breakfast, try toasts with canned baked beans on top, or hummus. Or try a chickpea flour omelet with tomatoes, salsa, and spinach tucked into it. There are tons of recipes for chickpea flour omelets. And pancake recipes, oh my, there are hundreds of vegan pancake recipes to try, from banana rice flour, to chocolate, to blue berry buckwheat, to coconut pancakes, sweet potato pancakes, zucchini pancakes, carrot or pumpkin pancakes, even peanut butter pancakes. I love to make tempeh "bacon" strips marinaded in dijon mustard and maple syrup and then roasted or broiled in the oven to go with my pancakes.

Have you ever made a vegan pot pie? I fill mine with white beans, yellow squash, onion, potatoes, carrots, green beans, vegan country gravy, and have fun making a homemade vegan crust. Heck you can even make a vegan pie crust with coconut oil or coconut butter in place of Earth balance if you aren't into vegan butter.

Chickpea salad sandwiches with Just Mayo or Vegannaise. It's the vegan version of egg salad. I mash some chickpeas, celery, vegan mayo together and add ground black pepper, then add my spread to my sandwich bread/pita etc.

And soups! Pureed white bean carrot soup is awesome, or chickpea sweet potato tomato soup. Or crockpot chili vegan style. I use bulgur wheat as a "ground beef" in mine.

How about toasting some buns and adding some broiled portobella mushroom caps marinaded with homemade bbq sauce? And pile on some roasted peppers and onion. Have some corn chips with.

Your local library most likely has some vegan cookbooks to check out for ideas. There are so many different styles of vegan cookbooks now for different tastes. Not all are health obsessed.
David3 likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 05-02-2016, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I love the advice given. Even though veg eating can be healthy if you eat the right food, it can also be high calorie. I watched one of the documentaries and can't remember the one. They were all about no oil and a lot of starches. I get a little fat eating that type of stuff but it is a good rule of thumb. I think if I give up beer or alcohol in general I may actually get in shape. I along with some people are sort of hyppocrates. Actually, I will say I am. I eat so healthy but destroy my body with the poison of alcohol. I hope I can stop drinking soon because that is my biggest vice. I would like to say that even though I drink it does not hurt the environment. I may read that it does and am open to hearing why. I am sure that in some way it hurts the environment and am doing what I can. Beer and vodka is so good but I am sure it is so bad.
#8 Old 05-02-2016, 06:37 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganGirl2 View Post
Hi everyone! So it's been a little over a year since I became a full fledged vegan, and I really desperately need some help and advice on new foods and ideas. I am an extremely picky eater, and I really do try new things and try to like them, but I just can't. I don't most if not all vegetables, vegan meats, tofu etc. It's getting really difficult and I am running out of things to eat. I really do eat the same old stuff every day, such as pasta, potatoes, fries, pizza (only with sauce, nothing else), grilled cheeses, PB & J's and not much else. I have known for a few months now that I am fairly anemic (my percentage on the hemoglobin was 10.4, and has only gone up to 10.5 in two months). I am now on Iron pills in attempt to bring my iron up, but they make me feel so sick. I really want to try new recipes and smoothies to get myself to like more things, but it's just so difficult. I would love some help/advice and recommendations. Thank you!
One of the easiest ways to learn how to like veggies is to learn how to properly cook them. Cooking times can change the consistency of veggies, and even most vegetarians don't like overcooked veggies. Books like How to Cook Everything Vegetarian (which isn't vegan but has vegan versions of a lot of the recipes, and most of the veggie/grain/bean ones are vegan), Vegan on the Cheap, and Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone are great places to get started. All of them have proper cook times and tons of recipes to help you learn to like veggies.

Vegan Lunch Box and Vegan Lunch Box Around the World were designed for picky vegan children, you might find them helpful as well. The meals are pretty balanced and really yummy. I own all of the cookbooks I mentioned, and have cooked out of them pretty extensively. My hubby didn't like veggies when we started, and by showing him how they tasted when properly prepared, he has come to really appreciate them.

It also takes time to change your taste buds. Repeatedly eating things you don't like in different ways over time can slowly adjust you to those flavors. I don't like a lot of gluten free stuff, but in removing gluten entirely from our kitchen and experimenting with GF baking, I've taught myself and my other partner to enjoy gluten free baked goods. It just takes dedication.
LedBoots and David3 like this.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Aliakai; 05-02-2016 at 06:39 PM.
#9 Old 05-02-2016, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to not eat olives or mushrooms. I recently had mushrooms and they were so good. It is funny how you can despise a food and learn to like it. I think the only food I can not eat is olives. So many people love them and I just can't. I am ok with that because there are so many other great foods to eat. I read earlier that people do not like Fennel. My brother made salads with it all winter and I really liked it. I guess we all have different tastes and we can all eat so many great foods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page