any good vegan butter recipes without coconut? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By runnerveggie

#1 Old 04-10-2016, 06:09 PM
No flesh since 99'

any good vegan butter recipes without coconut?

Anyone know of a vegan butter recipe that does NOT use coconut oil? I am allergic to coconuts and would like to find a home made butter that does not include it. Suggestions would be appreciated

"The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-10-2016, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Funny that you ask, I looked up Seventh Day Adventist recipes today and found this one:

Soya Butter
¼ cup soy bean flour
½ cup water
Salt
½ cup olive oil or flax oil
Add oil until consistency of thick butter. A pinch of tumeric or safflower added for colour. Add other herbs as required and yeast flakes if required.

I never had soy flour and wonder if you could use another flour, like a mix of corn, or rice or oat flours?
easy to make a small amount without wasting too much. At worse you could probably use it in a bread recipe

I found it here:
http://www.leavesoflife.org/vegan-ve...an-recipes.htm
Interesting easy recipes

Last edited by silva; 04-10-2016 at 06:56 PM.
#3 Old 04-10-2016, 07:06 PM
No flesh since 99'

Thanks @silva . I have seen soy flour before at the more natural type grocery stores. I'm kinda surprised it would require flour instead of soy milk. Perhaps with a try though! The vegan butters I have found all seem to include coconut oil, which I'm guessing is used because of the solid-consistency at room temperature that is similar to dairy butter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-10-2016, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Here is a recipe that uses deodorized cocoa butter: http://www.vegan.com/recipes/bryanna...-vegan-butter/

I also used to make a vegan butter that was more like a mayo -- it would work for spreading on toast, etc, but probably not in baking. It was basically oil, soymilk and lemon juice emulsified. I can't seem to find the recipe right now but I'll keep looking.
Kiwibird08 likes this.
#5 Old 04-11-2016, 10:38 AM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerveggie View Post
Here is a recipe that uses deodorized cocoa butter: http://www.vegan.com/recipes/bryanna...-vegan-butter/

I also used to make a vegan butter that was more like a mayo -- it would work for spreading on toast, etc, but probably not in baking. It was basically oil, soymilk and lemon juice emulsified. I can't seem to find the recipe right now but I'll keep looking.
I wonder if that recipe is cheaper than Earth Balance? That's kind of what I'm looking to do- make a cheaper substitute at home.

#6 Old 04-14-2016, 10:45 AM
No flesh since 99'

So I have been searching more and came up with this one (which I'll be trying):

http://www.ehow.com/how_5619587_make...-soy-milk.html

I will probably only half the recipe so I'm not wasting oil in case it doesn't come out (I'm going to use olive instead of canola).

#7 Old 04-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
So I have been searching more and came up with this one (which I'll be trying):

http://www.ehow.com/how_5619587_make...-soy-milk.html

I will probably only half the recipe so I'm not wasting oil in case it doesn't come out (I'm going to use olive instead of canola).
The only difference between that recipe and vegan mayo is with mayo you mix the lemon juice with milk first, then trickle in oil as processing. The butter you trickle oil into milk, then add lemon.
I had mixed results with mayo, and can't explain one failure. I can say don't use a high power mixer like Vitamix-even on low- fail.
A food processor with oil slowly added through chute worked for me
#8 Old 04-19-2016, 05:47 AM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
The only difference between that recipe and vegan mayo is with mayo you mix the lemon juice with milk first, then trickle in oil as processing. The butter you trickle oil into milk, then add lemon.
I had mixed results with mayo, and can't explain one failure. I can say don't use a high power mixer like Vitamix-even on low- fail.
A food processor with oil slowly added through chute worked for me
This recipe failed miserably for me. I'm glad I halved it so I didn't waste too much oil. Will not be trying that one again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page