• 3 Post By Beautiful Joe
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By runnerveggie
  • 1 Post By Dave in MPLS

#1 Old 03-14-2016, 10:34 AM
Beginner

I love beans, but how do we rid them of "killer" gas, or

possibly asphyxiation?

I soaked my last batch of pinto beans in plain water for about 20 hours, seriously.

Then just cooked in crock with water, seasoned them when they were almost done. I still almost died from the gas (I exaggerate).

But seriously, I'd like to know any tricks any of you have discovered. I love beans/lentils/and all kinds so far. Plus I know what a great source they are for the proteins, fiber, etc.

Oh, and they are inexpensive, I can freeze them when I am tired of a batch I've cooked.

Are some types less gas'sious? What methods are there that you guys have proven to work for you?

ttyl, need to shower, and get ready for some exercise, thanks in advance, for any feedback, denise
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-14-2016, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Did you drain off the soaking water and rinse them again after soaking?

Also: http://nutritionfacts.org/questions/...uce-raffinose/

Last edited by Beautiful Joe; 03-14-2016 at 11:20 AM.
#3 Old 03-14-2016, 12:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
Did you drain off the soaking water and rinse them again after soaking?

Also: http://nutritionfacts.org/questions/...uce-raffinose/
Yes, knew to do that Joe, but still I will try some soda next time. Thanks for the link too denise

Last edited by denise1952; 03-14-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-14-2016, 12:46 PM
Vegan since 1991

I say just let 'er rip. My wife and I pass gas frequently on certain abundant-bean days. We've found that, following a whole foods vegan diet, our gas is copious but not that odoriferous.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#5 Old 03-14-2016, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Beans don't give me stinky gas. Meat was appalling though.
Cruciferous veggies do - but only leave a passing whiff- nothing that sticks around.

I have heard of using kombu ( a type of seaweed), or bay leaves while cooking. I know theres a third thing....

I've only heard of using baking soda for old beans that won't tenderize

I'm not trying to minimize your experience, but really don't experience it from those I know. My sons don't get gas from beans, but again,meat, eggs, and for one, dairy

I've never experienced worse than meat farts, personally, and from those around me

Chewing fennel seeds help with gas.
#6 Old 03-14-2016, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Did you mean you used a slow cooker?
That never worked for me, I use a pressure cooker. Wonder if the longer lower temp may be an issue?

Do canned beans, rinsed well, cause the same problem?
LedBoots and Spudulika like this.
#7 Old 03-17-2016, 02:38 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Asofoetin (sp) is an Indian spice that helps,put a pinch in. Also skim any foam off the top while the beans cook. Dal or lentils aren't too gassy.

Also I soak the beans in the refrigerator.
#8 Old 03-26-2016, 05:08 PM

Beans have always been a battle with my digestive system, I just can't seem to eat them without getting an uncomfortable/painful bloat. I really like beans so I don't mind having the bloat, just have to pick the days carefully lol. That being said some beans I can handle better than others, cannellini are better than black beans and slow cooked are better than tinned.
I've just started to take probiotics again and this should help, I'll let you know if things improve.
#9 Old 03-26-2016, 07:24 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Also chew really well, chew all your food more than you think it needs, as this starts digestion.
#10 Old 03-27-2016, 08:54 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Has anyone noticed different kinds of beans having radically different effects? I eat TONS of pintos and black beans with at most minor discomfort. The other day I ate a serving of red kidney beans, and man, was it painful. Like some one hooked my digestive system up to an air compressor.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#11 Old 03-27-2016, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

You should know that cooking beans in a crock pot may not inactivate an toxin in the beans (phytohemagglutinin) which may cause abdominal cramping: http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIll.../ucm071092.htm

Per that website, you can eliminate this issue by pre-boiling the beans for 10 minutes prior to cooking in the crock pot. Dave in MPLS - red kidney beans are actually one of the beans with the highest levels of phytohemagglutinin, so perhaps that accounts for your painful results?

Other tips can be found here: https://christopherkimball.wordpress...ing-beans-101/

Particularly:
Quote:
Beans soaked overnight in water and then cooked and drained showed a 28 percent reduction in stachyose. The precooking, quick-soak, method, consisting of a one-minute boil followed by a soak for an hour, was more effective, removing 42.5 percent of the stachyose.
So, you might find the quick soak method helpful.

Otherwise, canned beans tend to be very easy to digest, especially when drained and rinsed well. They are slightly more expensive, but super convenient and still pretty cheap overall when compared to other protein sources.
LedBoots likes this.
#12 Old 03-29-2016, 08:23 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
red kidney beans are actually one of the beans with the highest levels of phytohemagglutinin, so perhaps that accounts for your painful results?
That explains it! I never cook 'em for myself and normally avoid them, but the dish they were in came from someone else and I felt kind of obligated to eat a larger portion than I would have otherwise. I was surprised at the number it played on my guts, though. Stupid oligosaccharides!
LedBoots likes this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page