Vegan slices that don't require a blender? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Beautiful Joe
  • 2 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By VeggieSince88

#1 Old 02-26-2016, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
Vegan slices that don't require a blender?

Ours broke the other day...

Got a recipe you love? Doesn't have to be a slice actually but something to fill the void after dinner, before bed, not super heavy, slightly sweet. We were eating little bits of white chocolate but ran out and want to mix it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2016, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure what you mean by "slices"?

If you want something sweet that doesn't require any prep, I suggest dates. One date is sufficient to take care of my craving for something sweet.

If you're ot adverse to baking/cooking, there are many, many recipes for vegan desserts that don't require a blender. Maybe if you clarify what you mean by "slices"?
#3 Old 02-27-2016, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I keep a ziplock or tupperware full of slices of frozen banana in the freezer. For a snack, I add a few chunks of frozen banana to a bowl, let it thaw just slightly over five or ten minutes, than eat it. Really tastes like ice cream! To liven it up, add some coconut flakes, or chopped nuts, or fresh fruit.

I also like to mix a half a can of pureed pumpkin (found it baking section at most grocery stores) with a banana and pure cocoa powder (found in baking section) or molasses or maple syrup in place of the cocoa. I use stevia as a sweetener but with the cocoa powder, maple syrup is also divine. It makes a kind of doughy pudding that isn't too sweet or rich but seems to fill that need for chocolate lol. I never use the blender for this. I just mix and mash in a bowl.

You can make raspberry chia jam to go with toast for a snack. It is easy. Dump a bag of frozen raspberries into a sauce pan and heat until the raspberries break down to almost liquid but still a little bit of chunk. Add two tablespoons of maple syrup (or other sweetener), and a tablespoon or two of chia seeds to the mix. Take the pan off the stove, let it cool a few minutes, then add the mixture to a glass jar and refrigerate once it is completely cooled. It thickens a lot in an hour and makes a great jam! Just three ingredients. Yes you have to make it ahead, but you'll get a lot of servings out of it and can have it on hand to go over toast, or rice cakes, or inside a tortilla, or over pancakes, or whatever else you want to spread it on.

I second medjool dates! Like dessert and no prep! Any dried fruit will do.
VeggieSince88 and Beets&Beats like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-27-2016, 12:12 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
That makes two of us.

Quote:
If you want something sweet that doesn't require any prep, I suggest dates. One date is sufficient to take care of my craving for something sweet.
I LOVE dates...but cannot stop at one!
Beautiful Joe likes this.
#5 Old 02-27-2016, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post

If you're ot adverse to baking/cooking, there are many, many recipes for vegan desserts that don't require a blender. Maybe if you clarify what you mean by "slices"?
Totally! I eat dates and sultanas like they're goin' outta style and the wanting to make a slice is actually just to be different and/or provide for others less satisfied with simplicity.
I'm one of those people who never uses sauces on dinner, too. Because the actual foods just taste so good in their regular form. Ohhhhh.... ! Yum!
#6 Old 02-27-2016, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I keep a ziplock or tupperware full of slices of frozen banana in the freezer. For a snack, I add a few chunks of frozen banana to a bowl, let it thaw just slightly over five or ten minutes, than eat it. Really tastes like ice cream! To liven it up, add some coconut flakes, or chopped nuts, or fresh fruit.

I also like to mix a half a can of pureed pumpkin (found it baking section at most grocery stores) with a banana and pure cocoa powder (found in baking section) or molasses or maple syrup in place of the cocoa. I use stevia as a sweetener but with the cocoa powder, maple syrup is also divine. It makes a kind of doughy pudding that isn't too sweet or rich but seems to fill that need for chocolate lol. I never use the blender for this. I just mix and mash in a bowl.

You can make raspberry chia jam to go with toast for a snack. It is easy. Dump a bag of frozen raspberries into a sauce pan and heat until the raspberries break down to almost liquid but still a little bit of chunk. Add two tablespoons of maple syrup (or other sweetener), and a tablespoon or two of chia seeds to the mix. Take the pan off the stove, let it cool a few minutes, then add the mixture to a glass jar and refrigerate once it is completely cooled. It thickens a lot in an hour and makes a great jam! Just three ingredients. Yes you have to make it ahead, but you'll get a lot of servings out of it and can have it on hand to go over toast, or rice cakes, or inside a tortilla, or over pancakes, or whatever else you want to spread it on.

I second medjool dates! Like dessert and no prep! Any dried fruit will do.
Yes and yay ! Doin' these things, thankyou !

But yep. Fruit is good. I eat frozen bananas and coconut chips for dessert at the moment. It's so hot here. But I need to take some slices to meetings and various stuff like that.

Slices! Is that an Australian term or something?! They're like... blocks that are squidgy mixtures of things and you pop them in the fridge and cut them up. Bars? Except not? hehe
#7 Old 02-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I found a heap of recipes for bliss balls fancy-style (mine are just dried fruit and nuts. These have lemon oil and such...). Those will do too!

Ohhhhhh yum yum yum ....

Thankyou!
#8 Old 02-27-2016, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Is this the sort of thing for which you're looking?

http://ohsheglows.com/categories/rec...gy-bars-balls/

There's one on here that doesn't require a blender or food processor: http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/...an-energy-bars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in