Fave Dinners, on Breakfast, Lunch?? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

#31 Old 02-22-2016, 05:40 PM
Beginner

I just found out today, we actually have an Oriental grocery store here, tiny, but right down the street from me!! Can't wait to check it out. I did get a few things today, wow, this one seasoning I didn't realize had salt but oh well. Here's some of the things I bought today but half of them I haven't clue what to do with them yet. I have to read the recipes, and I saved all you guys input

black olives
fresh shrooms
grape tomatos
Lawrys fire roasted chile & garlic, yowee!!
Salsa
flour tortillas
sesame ginger baked tofu
silken tofu (to make a cream sauce like someone mentioned) for my pasta
walnuts
I think that's about it. Some things I bought processed but I'm not going to fuss about being perfect. I figure eventually as I settle into it all, I will start trying new dishes. I do have my snacks around like sesame seeds, dates, and dark chocolate covered raisins, oh, and my soy milk. I did copy down a good, sounding scrambled tofu to try with breakfast one morning. I look for more Quinoa items, but couldn't find any. Like I said, I'll just have to take baby-steps so's not to end up with a fridge full of wasted things. I know exactly what to do with the vegies It's getting those proteins into my diet

thanks all, denise
LedBoots and Thalassa4 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 02-22-2016, 08:09 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise1952 View Post
I just found out today, we actually have an Oriental grocery store here, tiny, but right down the street from me!! Can't wait to check it out. I did get a few things today, wow, this one seasoning I didn't realize had salt but oh well. Here's some of the things I bought today but half of them I haven't clue what to do with them yet. I have to read the recipes, and I saved all you guys input

black olives
fresh shrooms
grape tomatos
Lawrys fire roasted chile & garlic, yowee!!
Salsa
flour tortillas
sesame ginger baked tofu
silken tofu (to make a cream sauce like someone mentioned) for my pasta
walnuts
I think that's about it. Some things I bought processed but I'm not going to fuss about being perfect. I figure eventually as I settle into it all, I will start trying new dishes. I do have my snacks around like sesame seeds, dates, and dark chocolate covered raisins, oh, and my soy milk. I did copy down a good, sounding scrambled tofu to try with breakfast one morning. I look for more Quinoa items, but couldn't find any. Like I said, I'll just have to take baby-steps so's not to end up with a fridge full of wasted things. I know exactly what to do with the vegies It's getting those proteins into my diet

thanks all, denise
You could make little pizzas or wraps with the tortillas and those veggies.
#33 Old 02-22-2016, 09:34 PM
Beginner

Really great that you're having fun with it, Denise.

I've been eating veg for decades and it's still fun for me to make a stir fry or create some new treat for myself.

People make a mistake when they think this diet is about denial and abstinence...it is really the opposite!
denise1952 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 02-23-2016, 08:25 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
You could make little pizzas or wraps with the tortillas and those veggies.
I did!! Well I put in "rinsed" black beans I bought canned, salsa, leftover rice, spinach, olives, onions, all wrapped up in a tortilla So far I haven't gained an ounce, and I haven't even been walking for exercise. After Wednesday when I start my strength-training I will probably have to have more of a lunch. I haven't really been hungry, but I nibble on seeds, dates, and a few choc. covered raisins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie man View Post
Really great that you're having fun with it, Denise.

I've been eating veg for decades and it's still fun for me to make a stir fry or create some new treat for myself.

People make a mistake when they think this diet is about denial and abstinence...it is really the opposite!
I'm sure I'll get over being so excited about it, and it will become routine. One thing I like is just grabbing some veggies and dip (love the humus). That really can be a meal in itself, no cooking, yessss!!
LedBoots and Thalassa4 like this.
#35 Old 02-23-2016, 05:01 PM
Veggie Recycler

Favorite breakfast: oatmeal with dried or frozen fruit cooked in, a handful of walnuts, topped with soy or hemp milk. Coffee or tea.

Favorite lunch (es): hmmm...a tie between vegan mac n cheese, and my favorite sandwich. The vegan "cheese" starts with a table spoon of each roux of Earth Balance or olive oil and flour until slightly browned, then requires one cup plain soy or almond milk stirred in well over medium heat, plus half a cup of fortified nutritional yeast flakes, salt and pepper to taste, a teaspoon each of tumeric and Grey Poupon (or similar mustard) for flavor. Pour this generously over quinoa pasta, you can also add cooked broccoli or tomato if you like.

The quicker, hand held lunch is to mash a can or cup of chickpeas with an avacado, mix in squeezed lemon or lime juice, salt, scallions and cilantro...or skip the scallions and cilantro and add dill. I'm a dill fiend. Then put on whole grain bread. Eat with regular lunch type sides like fruit, raw veggies, apple sauce, sunflower seeds or vegan potato chips. Or your favorite vegan soup, like minestrone or tomato basil. (Bean soups seem like pulse over kill lol).

Dinner: Lentil tacos, or marinated firm tofu stir fried with veggies and a baked potato or rice. I also like to eat quinoa pasta with marinara, Earth Balance, sometimes with mushrooms added. You can always make a side of a kale salad simply using lemon juice, or lemon juice and cold flax oil.

I also eat bean burritos with no cheese and guacamole at fast food places like Taco Bell or Del Taco for a quick vegan lunch or dinner. Neither chain uses lard, and their salsas are vegan. Just in case you get in a tight spot, or of course you can make a homemade version with pinto beans, or black beans if you prefer, with avacado or guacamole and salsa of choice.
denise1952 likes this.
#36 Old 02-23-2016, 05:37 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Hows the texture of the quinoa pasta? Is it more fragile than wheat?

I used to always think fresh garlic garlic and onion were preferable, but then read it's better to use dried or granulated for things that take more cooking and find thats true. Also that garlic releases more nutrients (can't remember what- but it was good) when you chop or grate and let exposed to air for a while. I now do that prep first.

Do you have an Aldi? Or Trader Joe? Or Indian/ Asian grocery?

and yes, this site is being slow now!
I use the same quinoa pasta she bought, and it holds up excellently and I think it tastes better than whole wheat. I don't like rice pasta usually because it's so squishy.
denise1952 likes this.
#37 Old 02-23-2016, 07:54 PM
Beginner

One of my favorite things to eat/use is tofu. properly cooked tofu is the bomb diggity. Tofu scramble, crispy grilled tofu with Panda Express orange sauce in a vegetable-packed stir fry, sofritas-style tofu in burritos, tofu in curry, tofu in chilli?it's cheap, healthy, and delicious.
Beautiful Joe and denise1952 like this.
#38 Old 02-24-2016, 05:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually buy a pot of generic 'dried chilli flakes' to add to cooking which I assume are a mixture of types of dried chilli, but recently we got a tub of dried habanero chilli flakes. Woo! I've banned them from the kitchen as he can't resist adding too much of them to curries (which he sometimes makes).
#39 Old 02-24-2016, 08:40 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
I usually buy a pot of generic 'dried chilli flakes' to add to cooking which I assume are a mixture of types of dried chilli, but recently we got a tub of dried habanero chilli flakes. Woo! I've banned them from the kitchen as he can't resist adding too much of them to curries (which he sometimes makes).
Love the ideas, and every time I come see what you guys have added, I get hungry, lol Seems every post/reply adds yet another seasoning, or food I can try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lymo View Post
One of my favorite things to eat/use is tofu. properly cooked tofu is the bomb diggity. Tofu scramble, crispy grilled tofu with Panda Express orange sauce in a vegetable-packed stir fry, sofritas-style tofu in burritos, tofu in curry, tofu in chilli?it's cheap, healthy, and delicious.
I have tofu in the fridge, and will address that in the next reply. Wanted to say I love your quickie ideas because my schedule is going to tighten up a little now that I'll be going to the gym a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
I use the same quinoa pasta she bought, and it holds up excellently and I think it tastes better than whole wheat. I don't like rice pasta usually because it's so squishy.
I agree, the texture is better imo It seems I have to cook it longer, but maybe the pasta "date" should have been checked, lol, by me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
Favorite breakfast: oatmeal with dried or frozen fruit cooked in, a handful of walnuts, topped with soy or hemp milk. Coffee or tea.

Favorite lunch (es): hmmm...a tie between vegan mac n cheese, and my favorite sandwich. The vegan "cheese" starts with a table spoon of each roux of Earth Balance or olive oil and flour until slightly browned, then requires one cup plain soy or almond milk stirred in well over medium heat, plus half a cup of fortified nutritional yeast flakes, salt and pepper to taste, a teaspoon each of tumeric and Grey Poupon (or similar mustard) for flavor. Pour this generously over quinoa pasta, you can also add cooked broccoli or tomato if you like.

The quicker, hand held lunch is to mash a can or cup of chickpeas with an avacado, mix in squeezed lemon or lime juice, salt, scallions and cilantro...or skip the scallions and cilantro and add dill. I'm a dill fiend. Then put on whole grain bread. Eat with regular lunch type sides like fruit, raw veggies, apple sauce, sunflower seeds or vegan potato chips. Or your favorite vegan soup, like minestrone or tomato basil. (Bean soups seem like pulse over kill lol).

Dinner: Lentil tacos, or marinated firm tofu stir fried with veggies and a baked potato or rice. I also like to eat quinoa pasta with marinara, Earth Balance, sometimes with mushrooms added. You can always make a side of a kale salad simply using lemon juice, or lemon juice and cold flax oil.

I also eat bean burritos with no cheese and guacamole at fast food places like Taco Bell or Del Taco for a quick vegan lunch or dinner. Neither chain uses lard, and their salsas are vegan. Just in case you get in a tight spot, or of course you can make a homemade version with pinto beans, or black beans if you prefer, with avacado or guacamole and salsa of choice.
gads, I'm gettin hungry, lol
Thalassa4 likes this.
#40 Old 02-24-2016, 08:50 AM
Beginner

Ok, changing it up a little here, because I have a fridge full of stuff, and although you guys have given me so much already, I'm going to tell you what's in the fridge, and ask your help First, for two nights, I've had a wrap with all the below items, so I kind of either want a different type of wrap, or maybe more pasta tonight. I'm having blueberry pancakes for breakfast, with walnuts, so far, but have a day at the gym ahead of me

Fridge foods:

Silken Tofu
fresh mushrooms
salsa
white onion
avocado
tomatoe
lots of baby spinach
green onions
brocolli
carrots

cupboard = spaghetti pasta, veggie rotini (spaghetti is quinoa)

I need to cook some of mushrooms, green onions, tomatoes (also have a container of grape tomatos) avocado. I have 2 bananas but going to pick up protein powder just to use for quickie smoothees, etc. I don't think the soymilk is going to work for me, although I do love it. I didn't care for the coconut milk or almond milk, but need to bite the bullet and get used to something I can used for cereal etc.

Ok, if you guys are around, maybe you can tell me what you'd do with all "that" LOL, so it doesn't go bad. I need to learn what I can freeze I guess, if necessary. I think I went overboard shopping, and I need to just shop more often maybe

help, Denise

Thalassa4 likes this.
#41 Old 02-24-2016, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like a quiche to me, once I got over being sickened by that avocado.....
Add some cornstarch or other type starch to the silken tofu, mix together, steaming the broccoli if fresh, and bake. I wouldn';t bother with crust. Oh yeah, save the salsa for after.

Or - saute the veggies and make a sauce with silken tofu by blending with spices, lemon juice, garlic and nutritional yeast-thinning with wqater or soy milk as needed

What's with soy milk?
LedBoots, Thalassa4 and denise1952 like this.
#42 Old 02-24-2016, 10:47 AM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Add some cornstarch or other type starch to the silken tofu, mix together, steaming the broccoli if fresh, and bake. I wouldn';t bother with crust. Oh yeah, save the salsa for after.

Or - saute the veggies and make a sauce with silken tofu by blending with spices, lemon juice, garlic and nutritional yeast-thinning with wqater or soy milk as needed

What's with soy milk?

I agree a tofu quiche, with those mushrooms and green onions, stick slices of tomato on top, add nutritional yeast...then serve with salsa and ava...OK I won't say it.

What do you mean what's with soy milk? A lot of people drink it for protein, and if it's fortified, it has calcium and B12. Personally I like plain soy milk better than almond in recipes, as long as it's organic, it's using less water than almond milk (though I have almond milk in my coffee occasionally).

If you mean what goes with it...she could easily use it for oatmeal, those blueberry pancakes, or the mac n cheese sauce I recommended.
#43 Old 02-24-2016, 10:50 AM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Ok, changing it up a little here, because I have a fridge full of stuff, and although you guys have given me so much already, I'm going to tell you what's in the fridge, and ask your help First, for two nights, I've had a wrap with all the below items, so I kind of either want a different type of wrap, or maybe more pasta tonight. I'm having blueberry pancakes for breakfast, with walnuts, so far, but have a day at the gym ahead of me

Fridge foods:

Silken Tofu
fresh mushrooms
salsa
white onion
avocado
tomatoe
lots of baby spinach
green onions
brocolli
carrots

cupboard = spaghetti pasta, veggie rotini (spaghetti is quinoa)

I need to cook some of mushrooms, green onions, tomatoes (also have a container of grape tomatos) avocado. I have 2 bananas but going to pick up protein powder just to use for quickie smoothees, etc. I don't think the soymilk is going to work for me, although I do love it. I didn't care for the coconut milk or almond milk, but need to bite the bullet and get used to something I can used for cereal etc.

Ok, if you guys are around, maybe you can tell me what you'd do with all "that" LOL, so it doesn't go bad. I need to learn what I can freeze I guess, if necessary. I think I went overboard shopping, and I need to just shop more often maybe

help, Denise

Oh...sorry @silva ....hey Denise you can keep plain soy milk to use in recipes even if you don't like it on cereal or to drink. Vanilla hemp milk is delicious for drinking, and nutritious. You can also use vanilla rice milk just for cereal or drinking.
denise1952 likes this.
#44 Old 02-24-2016, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

As well as all the vegetables, I reckon you could do with getting a few starchy pantry staples in stock like dried red lentils, tinned beans, baking potatoes and brown rice so you have more options to play with. I also always keep a number of tins of tomatoes for all kinds of sauces and stews.
LedBoots, Thalassa4 and denise1952 like this.
#45 Old 02-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Beginner

Quote:

What's with soy milk?
I'm not positive yet, but I had bad post nasal drip, gaggin me (sorry bout tmi) but I stopped all milk, cheese and soymilk as well, about 5 months ago. No more issues. Now that I've added some soymilk back in, but in all honesty, also some reg. milk to finish off. Not sure which is doing it, will narrow down though. Just came back with my new food changes.
#46 Old 02-24-2016, 12:01 PM
Beginner

I gotta go for a bit, but I noted the hemp milk, haven't tried that. Also, will get back to you guys on what I come up with from what your ideas helped me figure out I'm doing the tofu no matter what as I have yet to try it in something, with something

thanks again, I hope others benefit from the thread as well denise
#47 Old 02-24-2016, 03:07 PM
Beginner

I'm going to try the quiche idea, although I have no corn-starch. I'll look around at tofu quiche and see if I can find something that calls for what I do have Otherwise, I may be headed back to the store

I even have 2, quiche dishes I've never, ever used for quiche, LOL!! Denise
#48 Old 02-24-2016, 03:46 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
I'm going to try the quiche idea, although I have no corn-starch. I'll look around at tofu quiche and see if I can find something that calls for what I do have Otherwise, I may be headed back to the store

I even have 2, quiche dishes I've never, ever used for quiche, LOL!! Denise
You can use flour or even dehydrated mashed potatoes
silva and denise1952 like this.
#49 Old 02-24-2016, 07:05 PM
Beginner

Hi Led,

I did get corn-starch today, but didn't use it for din tonight. I had packaged tofu I thought I'd try since the silken has a longer, end date on it I know the Tofu I'm having is processed/preserved, but it will give me an idea of the taste. I'm roasting grape tomatos, white onion sliced thin, and 'shrooms. Coated all the vegies in olive oil, in a bowl. Then the only seasonings I had that went ok with it (I thought) were black pepper and garlic powder. I wanted to leave out any salt or I would have tried some of that Lawry's Chili Garlic, it's nice and hot, but mostly salt Didn't read the label well enough.

I've never eaten a meal like this, roasted and all, but I know it's going to be good I like a glass of chardonnay some nights with din.

See you guys tomorrow as I will probably spend the rest of the evening reading. Or I may watch another flic. I watched "I Frankenstein" lastnight. Not really into some of the newer movies, but I had a blast watching it. Put a whole new twist on the "traditional" story

denise PS Have a great evening
LedBoots likes this.
#50 Old 02-24-2016, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Packaged tofu is really no different than homemade. It's ground soy beans, simmered, strained (soy milk) then cooled enough to add coagulant-calcium sulfate (what i look for for calcium), nigeri, or magnesium sulfate (epsom salt). Then it's poured through cheesecloth in presses and pressed to get out the soy 'whey. That's it, no need for preservatives! Very much like most cheeses.
I have a soy milk maker and have made it a few times. Takes a lot of milk for one block of tofu-again just like cheese. Takes a good bit of time and trouble but sooooo good!

About commercial soy milks-they add things like carrageenan and flavorings. some people have thought themselves sensitive to soy when it's often the carageenan (seaweed extract to add creaminess) that can be a digestive issue with some folks. The ones in aeseptic packs are often plain- beans and water.
LedBoots and denise1952 like this.
#51 Old 02-24-2016, 07:47 PM
Beginner

Thanks Silva,

I'll have to see what I can find around here (grocery stores) but meanwhile, I totally loved this Tofu, omg it was good! All I did was heat it on the same pan in the oven I was roasting the vegies. I almost left the vegies in too long, so I'll know next time, 400 degrees in my oven, will only take them about 10 to 15 minutes if it's preheated Wow, so good! I know I can fix my tofu on my own, but I am so glad to know the packages are fine as well. I have 3 chunks left, each chunk was 8 grams of protein!

Also, I did get Whey Protein Powder today at Grocery Outlet. I didn't even realize it is mostly milk product. I got a brand called Nutri Medic. It was the best I saw, so I grabbed it. I need to remember this is a transition, and I'll learn more and more for when I shop.

It's just like when I looked in my cupboard for more seasonings for the roasted vegies, I didn't have enough of what I could use. I love the learning, and trying new things. Most of all, I feel so glad not to be eating any meat. I did not eat one bit today I had the oatmeal for breakfast, and had a great protein shake for lunch with blueberries and banana. Only with water to liquify

I got the blender free, and it is a honey! I put 2 icecubes to give it some chill, and it just chewed them up in seconds. It's a Black and Decker Cyclone and this gal gave it to me because she knew I didn't have one

Ok, I'm off the watch a movie now, will get back into my cozy mystery after the movie is over. I'm watching an older movie tonight, a murder mystery called Jennifer 8

This week has been a real world-wind for me. I'm so glad I've met so many, great, people here I couldn't have done so well so far, without you all Denise
#52 Old 02-24-2016, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I like making a pot of this almost every week-
1 cup red lentils- simmer 10-12 minutes in
2 cups boiling water.
Shut off hear and stir in 1/2 cup bulgar. Cover
Spices like curry powder, cumin, onion and garlic powders
So cheap and quick and make great cold sandwiches with same toppings as other sandwiches
I've been intending to make this ever since you first posted about it, and I finally did today. A big thumbs up from both my sister and me.

I just sprouted mung beans, and I wanted to make something that would keep them in/on a sandwich; that's what finally gave me the impetus to make this.

I think it will also make a wonderful filling for stuffed tomatoes this summer.
#53 Old 02-25-2016, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
I've been intending to make this ever since you first posted about it, and I finally did today. A big thumbs up from both my sister and me.

I just sprouted mung beans, and I wanted to make something that would keep them in/on a sandwich; that's what finally gave me the impetus to make this.

I think it will also make a wonderful filling for stuffed tomatoes this summer.
I'm glad you mentioned that! It is dirt cheap, quick, and as long you set a timer infallable! It's a great base for so many different recipes.

Glad you reminded me of sprouts-I've been wanting to make them again. I've been buying from the Asian store but I always feel suspicious buying them bagged--like they're more likely to have e coli or something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page