Worst Tasting Foods To You - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

#1 Old 02-16-2016, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Worst Tasting Foods To You

This is kind of a spin-off of my thread about foods you don't like but wish you did. Instead this is just the ultimate gross food that you hate and will never eat and it's so bad you wish it didn't exist.

Also I'm talking about foods you eat, so no meat dishes etc.

For me there's one whole family of taste that I can't stand, and it's fennel, star anise, aniseed, licorice etc. This whole group have a similar taste, and to me it tastes like poisonous cleaning chemicals or something. I hate it and don't understand how anyone can eat it. I guess it just goes to show how different all human taste buds are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2016, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I have never been able to stomach aubergine (I think some call it eggplant). I've tried it roasted, in moussaka, and a few other ways. Every single time I've had to pick it out.

It's obviously not relevant when I'm at home to eat, but in a restaurant or at my family's house the smell of fish/seafood makes me feel nauseous (I think that's a fairly common one).
#3 Old 02-16-2016, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Cilantro!
Avocado!
Chinese five spice! ( 'cause the star anise)
Crouton likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-16-2016, 03:46 PM
Fellow Hummusapian

Ooh. I second fennel. I will sit there and pick fennel seeds out of something. It's so bitter.

My main one is celery. I can't even find the words to describe how much I hate celery. Raw, cooked, doesn't matter. I hate running across it in soups and I pick it out of stir fry dishes.

I like eggplant a lot but it can make my stomach hurt, too.
#5 Old 02-16-2016, 03:49 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

Brussel sprouts. Lima beans. I love beans, but not lima beans.
#6 Old 02-16-2016, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mushrooms, of course, and white pepper. I don't understand it because I adore black pepper, but white pepper smells like manure.
#7 Old 02-16-2016, 04:49 PM
No flesh since 99'

Olives. I hate them! Also not overly fond of papayas.
#8 Old 02-16-2016, 04:53 PM
Veggie Recycler

Thyme.

No thyme left for you. ...

Especially dry powdered thyme, omg.

I'm not a fan of grape jelly or jam, either, though I'll eat grapes or grape juice. It depresses me if there's no strawberry (like in a diner situation, etc).

Most other things I can think of are mood related. Like sometimes I like sweets, and sometimes that's the last thing I want on earth.

I generally think doughnuts are vile. I mean the typical glazed ones, cake can be ok.
cherries likes this.
#9 Old 02-16-2016, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Winter squash!
#10 Old 02-16-2016, 05:17 PM

I detest everything maple. Even the smell makes me nauseous.
#11 Old 02-16-2016, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingrace View Post
I detest everything maple. Even the smell makes me nauseous.
We can never becomes friends because of this.

For me it's not flavour that really gets me...it's texture. Anything too mushy like boiled sweet potato or anything that feels gross like that one thing I don't recall at the moment.
#12 Old 02-16-2016, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Cilantro!
Avocado!
Chinese five spice! ( 'cause the star anise)
Yep me too, I can't stand Chinese Five Spice because of the star anise, or anything else like it.
#13 Old 02-16-2016, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post
For me there's one whole family of taste that I can't stand, and it's fennel, star anise, aniseed, licorice etc.
I'm the same way.

I also can't stand gooey butter cake, caramel, or anything whose predominant "flavor" is sugar.
Crouton likes this.
#14 Old 02-16-2016, 09:40 PM
Veggie Regular

It doesn't matter much, since I'm cutting way back on the dairy anyway, but I've never been able to swallow yogurt. Literally. It sets off my gag reflex, so I have a really hard time forcing myself to swallow it. I gave up after maybe two attempts in my life.

Agree on the cilantro. I hate the stuff, but I keep buying it for my four legged roommate. Apparently, most bunnies love it.

--Fromper
Chou and jocelyn3113 like this.
#15 Old 02-17-2016, 01:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
I'm the same way.

I also can't stand gooey butter cake, caramel, or anything whose predominant "flavor" is sugar.
Same, I had a banana smoothie for breakfast and I poured a heap of maple syrup into it by accident. Yuck!
#16 Old 02-26-2016, 04:07 AM

Fennel, definitively fennel. Although my mother likes it, I personally think it is the devil's own invention
#17 Old 02-26-2016, 02:41 PM

There is this one thing that I tried when I was little and I knew I will always hate it and that is halva. I tried it again recently when a friend made a halva cake, but I just couldn't, it tastes so gross to me.

Another one is rucola leaves. I bought a bag of rucola at some point and I put it in a salad. I really tried to like it, but I couldn't, it's too bitter, maybe what I bought was special, like spoiled or something, cause I feel like, why would anyone eat such a thing?

And the last one is the most recent one and that is sour cream. In Romania everyone eats sour cream, it's pretty cheap, it's popular and common, we eat it with traditional food and stuff. And I've never had a problem eating it, until most recently around Christmas when I tried it with my stuffed bell peppers and courgettes, I felt like there was something kind of gross in there, but I ignored the feeling. Then about one week ago I tried it again and I felt like I would throw up really. So from now on, it's gonna be on my list of gross things.
#18 Old 02-27-2016, 08:45 AM
Beginner

Seriously what is with all the Avocado and Cilantro hate?

Strangely mushrooms would have topped my list pre-vegetarian, but when I gave up meat for lent last year I started to be able to stomach them. Then I went veg for the foreseeable future just under six months ago I started to crave the damn things...

Topping my list would be the slimey vegetarian chicken burgers and hot dogs yves makes. Funny thing is they make a decent nugget but the texture on those two is the worst. And they smell like peas...
#19 Old 02-27-2016, 10:25 AM

Banana leaves.
#20 Old 02-27-2016, 03:40 PM
Lyn

Mushrooms. Ugh.
#21 Old 02-27-2016, 06:40 PM
Semi-lurker

Cucumber pickles of any kind, they make me want to vomit. I can't even eat anything that had pickles on them. Which is odd because I can eat things like banana peppers and other pickled things, but not pickles themselves. :shudders:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Videos, recipes, tips, and techniques.

#22 Old 02-27-2016, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Daiya Cheese. I have tried it every other way a person can think of and nope can't get over that taste.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
#23 Old 02-28-2016, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherries View Post
Daiya Cheese. I have tried it every other way a person can think of and nope can't get over that taste.
Did you like grilled American cheese? I seriously can;t tell the difference between daiya cheddar shreds and plastic wrapped slices
#24 Old 02-28-2016, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Olives.
Anise.
Black licorice.
Concord grapes or anything made with them. Just like olives you can't hide the flavor.
Anything sour. Not sour like lemons, but sour as in fermented. Sour cream, yogurt, buttermilk. I never liked the standard versions before and don't like the vegan versions either.
Vegan cheese. Any of the ones I've tried. I'd rather just do without.

I guess I'm pickier than I thought.
ModVegan likes this.
#25 Old 02-28-2016, 09:23 PM
Semi-lurker

Oh, I can't stand anything fennel or fennly tasting (black liquorice, anise...., and maple syrup either, real or artificial. The taste and smell turns my stomach.
Crouton likes this.

Videos, recipes, tips, and techniques.

#26 Old 03-01-2016, 09:59 AM
Bean Queen

I don't like most things where the predominant ingredient is crunchy raw vegetables. Which gets a lot of strange looks because people are always like "wait, but you're vegan..." lol The only time I genuinely enjoyed a salad was when it was smothered in ranch dressing (it was closer to ranch soup, to be honest). Since going vegan I've tried to make a few salads, but I genuinely lose my appetite and end up moving it from one side of my plate to the other. The worst is when I go out and a salad is my only vegan option. I'd rather eat my right hand...

Oh! And black salt. I've had it in a few Indian snacks/dishes and it tastes and smells like rotton eggs. I know some people put it in vegan dishes to get an eggy taste but just ew.
#27 Old 03-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBoxed View Post
Oh! And black salt. I've had it in a few Indian snacks/dishes and it tastes and smells like rotton eggs. I know some people put it in vegan dishes to get an eggy taste but just ew.
Curious- did you eat eggs before? I rarely ate eggs, and am amazed how much that tastes like salted hard boiled eggs
#28 Old 03-01-2016, 05:52 PM
Bean Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Curious- did you eat eggs before? I rarely ate eggs, and am amazed how much that tastes like salted hard boiled eggs
Yeah I used to eat eggs several times a week.

But I found that black salt smelt way too much like sulfer and the taste was super, super potent and overwhelming. It might be different if I tried a tiny pinch in something like veg mayo for a potato salad. I don't have the ingredient on hand so I guess I'll never know.
#29 Old 03-02-2016, 04:29 PM

Marmite, definitely. And Vegemite. I'm sure they are good for you, but I feel ill if I even think of them.

In the past most of the foods I disliked were animal products (fish, eww), so I'm in the clear now!

YouTube:
Blog:

Twitter:

Veganism is not a sacrifice, it's a joy.
- Gary L. Francione
#30 Old 04-22-2016, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

I just can't stomach raw tomatoes, it makes me sad because most people seem to love them and I feel like I'm missing out.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page