8Likes
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By Lipps
  • 2 Post By plnteater
  • 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By danakscully64

#1 Old 02-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Happy Veggie

Exclamation Are Campbells Noodles vegetarian?

So for a long time I've always thought that the campbells savory beef noodles were vegetarian because the mr noodles beef are and the Campbells ones are called "savory beef flavor". But today when I was eating them my sister pointed out it has "beef extract powder" is that just fake flavor or is that real beef from a cow!? Please answer! And does it make me no longer a vegetarian because I ate it if it has beef in it?

Last edited by gjbz123; 02-14-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-14-2016, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Those are real beef broths, so sorry.
It's pretty horrible that America doesn't require labeling for vegetarian/vegan foods.
I'm not sure about the term 'beef flavor', I would think if something said 'artificial beef flavor' it would be vegetarian, but not just 'beef flavor'

I've about had fits reading cans that I knew to be vegetarian seeing 'beet extract'! Yes, beeT!

I know you're upset, but you honestly felt you doing okay, and for me it's your intent that trumps that kind of accidental consumption. Just learn from that and carry on!

Campbells has a Vegetarian Vegetable soup as well just a Vegetable soup. I remembered liking the one with alphabet noodles as a veg teen and was disturbed reading the beef broth on the vegetable soup--till I saw the Vegetarian Vegetable one!
#3 Old 02-14-2016, 04:04 PM
Happy Veggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Those are real beef broths, so sorry.
It's pretty horrible that America doesn't require labeling for vegetarian/vegan foods.
I'm not sure about the term 'beef flavor', I would think if something said 'artificial beef flavor' it would be vegetarian, but not just 'beef flavor'

I've about had fits reading cans that I knew to be vegetarian seeing 'beet extract'! Yes, beeT!

I know you're upset, but you honestly felt you doing okay, and for me it's your intent that trumps that kind of accidental consumption. Just learn from that and carry on!

Campbells has a Vegetarian Vegetable soup as well just a Vegetable soup. I remembered liking the one with alphabet noodles as a veg teen and was disturbed reading the beef broth on the vegetable soup--till I saw the Vegetarian Vegetable one!
That's so upsetting! Especially because I eat them every few months but I've only been a vegetarian for a year now so I still have lots to learn and as teenager i'm not really the one who buys food for everyone to eat :P Hopefully the cows forgive me for not knowing. Thanks so much for telling me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-14-2016, 06:08 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I wouldn't arrive at that conclusion. Just because something is 'artificial' doesn't mean it's free of animal-derived products. It could be artificial in terms of not being real beef flavor, but still contain some OTHER animal product (like chicken broth) that makes it SEEM like real beef flavor.

In my experience, the best way to be SURE about ingredients is to contact the company.
#5 Old 02-14-2016, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

This sucks -- we all make mistakes. Forgive yourself and learn from the experience.

Like some others, I am cautious about anything that is "meat flavored." I am always looking to be sure it says "vegetarian" or "vegan" on the label (and also careful that that isn't in the context of "vegetarian fed"!). Often they include the word "flavored" because it doesn't really contain pieces of meat, but rather only broth or other flavorings.

If you're looking for an easy substitute for the noodles, you might find something on this list: http://www.peta.org/living/food/accidentally-vegan/ For example, the Hormel vegetarian chili, or the Thai kitchen noodle bowls. McDougall's has a line of vegan soup cups too, which are quite good (although never as filling as I would hope).
#6 Old 02-14-2016, 09:02 PM
Beginner

As a rule everything Campbell's makes is NOT vegetarian. Even the 'vegetable soup' has beef broth.
They do have tomato soup that is vegetarian, but it has so much sugar in it you may as well have a candy bar.

The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
- Mark Twain, a Biography
#7 Old 02-14-2016, 10:14 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipps View Post
As a rule everything Campbell's makes is NOT vegetarian. Even the 'vegetable soup' has beef broth.
Their "Vegetarian Vegetable" is...vegetarian!

Quote:
They do have tomato soup that is vegetarian, but it has so much sugar in it you may as well have a candy bar.
I can't stand tomato soup, so that's a non-issue for me. However, in my experience, they have quite a few soups that are indeed vegetarian. When my mom was still alive I'd buy certain soups for her that she liked, including the aforementioned Vegetarian Vegetable, Tomato (which she loved), Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Potato, Cream of Mushroom with Roasted Garlic, Cream of Celery, and some others. (She was a VERY late in life convert to vegetarianism--in her 80s!) As I recall it was pretty easy finding vegetarian varieties.
#8 Old 02-14-2016, 10:58 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
Their "Vegetarian Vegetable" is...vegetarian!
I forgot about 'vegetarian vegetable'.

But I was doubly wrong...
According to this site:
http://justabtvegan.com/2014/07/27/u...en-vegetarian/

They put castoreum in every flavor of soup except 'vegetarian vegetable' They don't list it because it isn't nutritional and flavorings can be kept secret. Castoreum is excreted from a gland in the ass of a beaver.

We stopped buying canned soup a few years ago to get away from all the salt and sugar that seems to be taking over all the food. Homemade is the only way you know what your eating anymore.

The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
#9 Old 02-14-2016, 11:04 PM
Beginner

Quote:
They put castoreum in every flavor of soup except 'vegetarian vegetable' They don't list it because it isn't nutritional and flavorings can be kept secret. Castoreum is excreted from a gland in the ass of a beaver.

Ok, I had to quote myself because as I was typing that sentence above I kept thinking to myself...Who the hell was the guy who thought it was a good idea to put beaver ass spray in food? And who the hell listened to it and agreed? (with a straight face?)
karenlovessnow and Jenn2 like this.

#10 Old 02-15-2016, 04:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I doubt the flavoring they are talking about is castoreum, as this is usually used as a vanilla or raspberry flavor, and it is relatively expensive. It is disheartening that they include animal products in the "natural flavors" though.

As another alternative, Progresso has many vegetarian soups: http://www.progresso.com/products/sp...iet/vegetarian -- I particularly like the lentil soup (make sure you get the veggie one, as there is one with sausage out there but it is clearly marked on the front label). Amy's also has a bunch of vegetarian soups, which are quite good.
#11 Old 02-15-2016, 07:44 AM
vegan since Sept. 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbz123 View Post
And does it make me no longer a vegetarian because I ate it if it has beef in it?
You are still a vegetarian, they intent was there, we all goof at the beginning of our journey and eat something we thought had no animal products. I remember I ate a sweet potato spinach burger from a store and later found out that even though it was vegetarian it was not vegan it had egg whites in it. I've learned to read every ingredient before I ingest anything.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

Became a vegan on September 2014, best decision ever!
I know humans consider it a grave insult to be called an animal. Well, I would never give a human the fine distinction of being called an animal, because an animal may kill to live but an animal never lives to kill. Humans have to earn the right to be called animals again.”
― David Duchovny, Holy Cow
#12 Old 02-15-2016, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, you are absolutely still a vegetarian! We've all accidentally eaten something or other. I once bit into what I thought was a tofu burrito but which was actually beef. It sucked and I felt awful for a few minutes, but you just have to rinse out your mouth and move on.
danakscully64 likes this.
#13 Old 02-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Can you get Top Ramen in Canada? The oriental one is vegan, as is the chili.

Accidents happen, don't stress. I didn't know for a long time that gelatin wasn't vegetarian. It's always a learning process

LedBoots likes this.
#14 Old 02-15-2016, 05:48 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
I forgot about 'vegetarian vegetable'.

But I was doubly wrong...
According to this site:
http://justabtvegan.com/2014/07/27/u...en-vegetarian/

Oh my goodness!! I'm *SO* glad I don't buy canned soup any more. That stopped after my mom died. There are a few soups in cartons that I like, but they're organic and vegetarian/vegan.

Tags
beef , campbells , noodles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page