Why do some cultures hate onion and garlic - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 111Likes

#91 Old 02-16-2016, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Do you really think that you're "challenging people's world views" here? You're saying the same thing that's been said for hundreds of years by those who don't understand the scientific method. You're arguing against knowledge itself.

I have a genuine appreciation for the generations of scientists who have busted their butts determining truth from fiction only to have a bunch of people say, essentially, "My unfounded superstition is just as valid, so you might as well not have bothered."

I'm done, but I'll leave this here. It's a podcast on pseudoscience by Carl Sagan's successor, Neil deGrasse Tyson. https://youtu.be/bvk0Cy-plTg
That episode of StarTalk was awesome. @no whey jose , if you haven't listened to the entire thing (or any of the other StarTalk episodes), you should! If you need any recommendations on episodes, let me know! The one with Penn and Teller was good, Susan Sarandon was awesome, the two part episode with Edward Snowden was eye-opening...

I love me some Neil deGrasse Tyson, haha.
no whey jose likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 02-16-2016, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailFin View Post
That episode of StarTalk was awesome. @no whey jose , if you haven't listened to the entire thing (or any of the other StarTalk episodes), you should! If you need any recommendations on episodes, let me know! The one with Penn and Teller was good, Susan Sarandon was awesome, the two part episode with Edward Snowden was eye-opening...

I love me some Neil deGrasse Tyson, haha.
I actually only just discovered it! I will definitely give it some serious attention.

Do you listen to Radiolab?
#93 Old 02-16-2016, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I actually only just discovered it! I will definitely give it some serious attention.

Do you listen to Radiolab?
Please do! They go into various other topics, all science based. They had an episode with Brian Cox, an episode with Richard Dawkins, Elon Musk, Alan Rickman, etc.

I've heard of Radiolab, but I haven't listened to it, yet. I got backed-up on podcasts, haha. I'll have to move it up in the queue!
no whey jose likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 02-16-2016, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Please do! They go into various other topics, all science based. They had an episode with Brian Cox, an episode with Richard Dawkins, Elon Musk, Alan Rickman, etc.

I've heard of Radiolab, but I haven't listened to it, yet. I got backed-up on podcasts, haha. I'll have to move it up in the queue!
Brian Cox 😍😍😍😍 I have to listen to that one immediately. I have such a cerebral crush on him. (Ok, maybe a bit of a physical crush, too...)

I can't recommend Radiolab enough. I suggest going for the earlier episodes. Recently they've moved away from science and are doing more of a human interest thing a la This American Life.

Edited to add:
Shallot and TailFin like this.

Last edited by no whey jose; 02-16-2016 at 08:55 AM.
#95 Old 02-16-2016, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Brian Cox I have to listen to that one immediately. I have such a cerebral crush on him. (Ok, maybe a bit of a physical crush, too...)

I can't recommend Radiolab enough. I suggest going for the earlier episodes. Recently they've moved away from science and are doing more of a human interest thing a la This American Life.

Edited to add:
Yeah, he's really smart. I actually had no idea who he was until recently... I do want to read his book.

Will do. I'll start listening to it on my commute home today!

ETA: haha, love the picture
no whey jose likes this.
#96 Old 02-16-2016, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, he's really smart. I actually had no idea who he was until recently... I do want to read his book.

Will do. I'll start listening to it on my commute home today!

ETA: haha, love the picture
Let me know what you think!
TailFin likes this.
#97 Old 02-19-2016, 03:09 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
You're incorrect. If it's repeatable, it's not anecdotal.

I'm not going to continue discussing the definition of anecdotal evidence vs. scientific evidence. If you want to believe your definition, please by all means join the groups of people that remain steeped in ignorance.
I think you owe Blobbenstein an apology. The way some people worship science and mock everything not yet proven borders on fanaticism.

"Steeped in ignorance"
#98 Old 02-19-2016, 03:37 AM

it's ok....I'm over it.....I cried all night, but I'm done.
LedBoots and TailFin like this.

#99 Old 02-19-2016, 03:49 AM

I'm quite happy that science and belief in the supernatural can live in harmony...there is no contradiction.....
LedBoots likes this.

#100 Old 02-19-2016, 05:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post
it's ok....I'm over it.....I cried all night, but I'm done.
Agreed; I think the discussion fizzled out. That said, I never meant for there to be any hurt feelings, so if there were, for that I apologize.
#101 Old 02-19-2016, 05:42 AM

I'm not really one for debates..they make me nervous, and it is unsatisfying if both sides are really entrenched in their views.

My feelings weren't particularly hurt..thanks anyway.....I should read more science stuff, I know, but I do understand how science works, I think, and think it is a fairly good process, although I gather there is a LOT of politics in the battle between ideas.
LedBoots likes this.

Last edited by Blobbenstein; 02-19-2016 at 05:47 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page