Calling All Foodies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-30-2004, 05:36 PM
Jes
Veggie Regular

Hey guys,

My partner and I are discriminating foodies and when we cook we don't mind spending hours in the kitchen. Any suggestions for vegan cookbooks that will help us produce sublime meals?

Jes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-30-2004, 05:44 PM

You can try : vegan planet, garden of vegan, and how it all vegan. vegan planet is good for people who like to cook. I also like the complete vegan cookbook as well.
#3 Old 08-30-2004, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never made anything from it but The Voluptuous Vegan looks very involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-30-2004, 08:20 PM

I have Vol. Vegan, and it is a bit more work than some, but it's very yummy. Thumbs up to HIAV and GOV (only borrowed this one from the library so far ). I also like The Mediterranean Vegan Cookbook

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 08-30-2004, 10:24 PM
Banned

I'm shocked that these have been mentioned yet but you want bryanna clark grogan's cookbooks. Particulary Authentic Chinese Cuisine and Nonna's Italian Kitchen.

http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/590181.htm

eta: the millenium cookbooks are also good.
#6 Old 08-31-2004, 05:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I also like The Mediterranean Vegan Cookbook

I borrowed this one from the library and it looked great. I didn't have time to make anything though.

Ah, how I wish I had hours to just cook. Seems I spend most of my time cleaning.

Sunny
#7 Old 08-31-2004, 06:25 AM
Beginner

The Candle Cafe Cookbook: Over 150 Enlightened Recipes from New York's Renowned Vegan Restaurant by Joy Pierson, Barbara Scott-Goodman, and Bart Potenza.

This one has some involved recipes and more esoteric ingredients. I've only made the blue cornbread so far, but it was tasty.

If you decide to pick this one up, let me know which recipes you like. I love cooking, but testing recipes that take time only to discover they suck is really
#8 Old 08-31-2004, 06:31 AM
Beginner

Oh and when I was on the old (demolished) Vegan Message Board (anybody here from the VMB?), I remember one woman absolutely loved the intensive recipes in:

Voluptuous Vegan: More than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless and Dairy-Free Meals by Myra Kornfeld and George R. Minot
#9 Old 08-31-2004, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

We cook a lot out of Vegan Planet, but those recipes are all pretty easy.

Our gourmet and difficult favorite cookbook is The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook. It's a lacto-ovo book and might not be the best if you are vegan. But the recipes are really good and they mark them 1,2, or 3 stars based on difficulty. So far we have only tried 1-star recipes and even those are pretty time consuming! But the results are spectacular.

oops just saw that you were asking for vegan books specifically. The Moosewood restaurant cookbooks are pretty good. They have an index in the back to help you flip right to the vegan recipes, and they also give you tips on how to "veganize" an l/o recipe.
#10 Old 08-31-2004, 11:02 AM
Beginner

I like How It All Vegan
#11 Old 08-31-2004, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

For foodies, I recommend The Artful Vegan: Fresh Flavors from the Millennium Restaurant, which my wife and received for Christmas last year. We have yet to make anything from it, but we'd eat just about anything in it. We just don't have the time to cook anything more complicated and involving than what you can find in How it All Vegan.

The other cookbooks mentioned above do come highly recommended (like Clark's Italian cookbook, and The Voluptuous Vegan, which we also have and use a little since it's not quite so hardcore as the Millennium book).
#12 Old 09-02-2004, 03:52 AM

I have Crescent Dragonwagon's book, Passionate Vegetarian and it is good, I have made a few recipes from it and they were great. Not all vegan recipes, but many can be adapted. I agree that Bryanna has many good recipes also. I do not own any of her books, I have collected many recipes from her website. I mainly use Chef Deborah's recipes, she does not have a published book, but her webpage is www.vegsource.com/talk/recipes

All of her recipes I have made are FABU

I have also read many people like Joanne Stephaniak's cookbooks.
#13 Old 09-02-2004, 05:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Although I hate PETA, years ago I found my favorite vegan cookbook... it's their book called The Compassionate Cook. They have many great recipes in there that I have used regularly over the years. The book is several years old, sells pretty cheaply and has great recipes! My favorites are the garlic pasta, glazed carrots, stuffed eggplant... yum!
#14 Old 09-02-2004, 12:25 PM
Jes
Veggie Regular

I'm gonna start out with 'The Essential Vegetarian and The Voluptuous Vegan,' both of which are at the local Barnes and Noble.

I have 'How it All Vegan' but not 'The Garden of Vegan.' Is it worth buying?
#15 Old 09-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

My wife and I prefer HIAV to GOV, FWIW.
#16 Old 09-02-2004, 05:52 PM
bad
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagginabit View Post

You can try : vegan planet, garden of vegan, and how it all vegan. vegan planet is good for people who like to cook. I also like the complete vegan cookbook as well.

amen to that! how it all vegan and the garden of vegan are the greatest cook books ever!!! www.vegweb.com is good too!
#17 Old 09-03-2004, 02:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, you must get Nonna's Italian Kitchen by Bryanna Clark Grogan. There are many involved and nuanced recipes and they always turn out SCRUMPTIOUS. From lasagna to scallopinne to gnocchi to tiramisu and a lot more less well-known Italian dishes, this book REALLY has it. I think it may be my all-time favorite cookbook, vegan or not.
#18 Old 09-03-2004, 07:44 AM
bad
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post

I'm gonna start out with 'The Essential Vegetarian and The Voluptuous Vegan,' both of which are at the local Barnes and Noble.

I have 'How it All Vegan' but not 'The Garden of Vegan.' Is it worth buying?

omg yes!!!! the garden of vegan is an awsome cook book with great food! it even has a section on microwave meals if i could only buy two cookbooks thouse would be the ones i belive tgof has 45 things to do with vinager and hiav has baking soda? or vise-versa many cool tips for cooking clean and personal well being!
#19 Old 09-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Jes
Veggie Regular

I bought 'Voluptuous Vegan' this evening. We'll try a recipe or two out next weekend.

The Artful Vegan, Epski? Yikes! That one looked like a ton of work.
#20 Old 09-06-2004, 05:21 PM
Jes
Veggie Regular

The Voluptuous Vegan is effing amazing!
#21 Old 09-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Let us know which recipes you try.
#22 Old 09-07-2004, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post

The Artful Vegan, Epski? Yikes! That one looked like a ton of work.

That's what I'm sayin'! Of course, that's exactly why it's perfect for true foodies.
#23 Old 09-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't mind spending hours in the kitchen if the recipe turns out good. I've had a lot of bombs lately though with re-learning how to cook from a vegan perspective.
#24 Old 09-10-2004, 04:55 PM
Jes
Veggie Regular

Man, oh, man is The Voluptous Vegan a good book! I tried the whole menu for chikpea, artichoke and sundried tomato salad with fresh corn, millet and rice croquettes and the jalapeno-potato-tofu cream. It's on page 61 and was a really nice Sunday dinner.

Also, the jicama, radish and watercress salad with avacado dressing was friggin' rawesome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page