Is pasta vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-28-2004, 02:46 PM

I've been hearing mixed reports. Some people say, "No, it's not; it's made with eggs." And I've been trying to look for a straight answer on the Internet. All signs point to "yes" it's vegan, but I just wanna be sure.

So, is it? Are specific types, e.g., whole wheat, vegan?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-28-2004, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

sometimes it has egg, sometimes it doesn't. so, some pasta is vegan. you have to read or ask about the ingredients.
#3 Old 08-28-2004, 02:48 PM

Just check the ingredient lisitings on the pasta that you are considering. Most pasta is vegan. Some pasta has eggs in it. If you ask an omni, for some strange reason they always think pasta has eggs in it. They also tend to think all bread has eggs, too. Both rarely have any eggs in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-28-2004, 02:51 PM

So, if it has eggs in it, the ingredients label will always list egg as one of the ingredients?

#5 Old 08-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

i've never seen vegan fresh pasta, though.
#6 Old 08-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedmiester View Post

So, if it has eggs in it, the ingredients label will always list egg as one of the ingredients?

yes, or "egg whites" if only the whites are used, as i think is usually the case.
#7 Old 08-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Tedmeister,

Pretty much all dry, Italian-style pasta will be vegan. The only pasta I've ever seen with egg in it are the stroganoff-style egg noodles (and they are usually labeled "egg noodles"!) and the fresh pastas in the refrigerator section. Like everything else, just read the labels

p.s. I usually buy whole wheat pasta and it has always been vegan
#8 Old 08-28-2004, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedmiester View Post

As far as I know, yes. I believe it is illegal to omit any ingredients that a product contains. Especially a product like eggs, which some folks are allergic to.
#9 Old 08-28-2004, 03:00 PM

You don't know how much you've all just made me happy. I love you all!
#10 Old 08-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynaffit View Post

i've never seen vegan fresh pasta, though.

Really? That's not good at all!

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#11 Old 08-28-2004, 03:33 PM
Baby Love

I usually go for the whole wheat variety. Hodgson Mills has all sorts of WW noodles and I can find them at my regular gorcery store in the pasta isle. Every type, I have purchased was vegan. Ingredients : 100% Durum Whole Wheat Flour ... thats the entire list

Just steer clear of the obvious Egg Noodles
#12 Old 08-28-2004, 04:16 PM

Ironically, some of the cheap brands of egg noodles don't have egg in them.
#13 Old 08-28-2004, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelsRule View Post

As far as I know, yes. I believe it is illegal to omit any ingredients that a product contains. Especially a product like eggs, which some folks are allergic to.

I think you're probably right for the most part when it comes to prepackaged products. In regards to fresh products, like bagels from a bakery, I stay away from the shiny ones. Sometimes bakers will paint the tops of the bagels with egg before they bake them to make them come out shiny and they don't list the egg in the ingredients.
#14 Old 08-28-2004, 07:15 PM
Banned

Generally speaking fresh pasta has eggs, dried pasta does not. Dried pasta with egg in it is not italian in origin. Sometimes fresh pasta is made with mineral water or wine, this makes a more delicate pasta. You aren't going to see this often though. I have seen a few brands of storebought vegan fresh pasta in the last couple of years. You can certainly make your own fresh pasta at home without eggs, Bryanna Clark Grogan's "Nonna's Italian Kitchen" (which you should all own at least three copies of) has a good recipe. Look for dried pasta which has been extracted through bronze dies, this has nothing to do with veganacity but rather quality. They will have a noticeably textured surface which allows more sauce to be absorbed.
#15 Old 08-29-2004, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Really? That's not good at all!

You can make fresh pasta without eggs (if you're feeling ambitious), you just can't seem to buy it.
#16 Old 08-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I keep meaning to have a go but I haven't got round to it yet. I want to learn how to make hand-stretched rice noodles. Mmmm... so yummy.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#17 Old 08-30-2004, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Most types of dry pasta are vegan. Some types that don't are ravioli, fettucine, and most things that come in a refrigerated, not-dry form.
#18 Old 11-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I have in the past sometimes seen in health food stores fresh pasta made with tofu and not with eggs. Don't know if it can still been found.
#19 Old 11-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Lasagne sheets are the ones to look out for.
#20 Old 11-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Baby Love

I saw this thread and was trying to remember the brand I buy without going to the kitchen to look. Turns out I replied 5 years ago ... I don't know if they carry Hodgson Mills outside the U.S. but they do carry the lasagna noodles which have the exact same ingredients as the other whole wheat noodles (100% Durum Whole Wheat Flour).

Boy I sure was helpful way back then. I'm glad a post where I wasn't being a weirdo was bumped.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page