Yes, I'm still upset that burger kings veggie burger isn't vegan. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 40Likes
  • 2 Post By littestvegan
  • 4 Post By Crouton
  • 1 Post By littestvegan
  • 2 Post By Poppy
  • 1 Post By Jenn2
  • 2 Post By Crouton
  • 2 Post By SpookyKid
  • 2 Post By jocelyn3113
  • 4 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 2 Post By skinnieminnie
  • 5 Post By LedBoots
  • 4 Post By Crouton
  • 1 Post By dormouse
  • 3 Post By no whey jose
  • 3 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By Crouton

#1 Old 01-31-2016, 06:47 PM
Vegan

Question Yes, I'm still upset that burger kings veggie burger isn't vegan.

I'm still so caught up over the fact that burger king couldn't just get a vegan veggie burger. Personally, I don't eat there often but every once in a while, I'd like fast food that isn't just fries. I know many other vegans are kind of like "what the heck" when it comes to this.
So, I wrote burger king just to get some answers and I will update this when I hear from them.
Heres what I said:
"I can't tell you how excited I was to hear that you guys added the veggie burger to the menu! I told everyone I knew about it, and was so ready to try it. Until,one of my friends informed me that yes, it was a veggie burger but it wasn't vegan!
I really, really wish you guys would've gotten a vegan veggie burger instead of a vegetarian one that way everyone would be happy. My question is, what's the issue? Is it the cost? Morning star does make a veggie burger that is indeed vegan. Thanks!"
no whey jose and Jenn2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-31-2016, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

In my city (Melbourne, Australia), there is a very successful fast-food chain called Lord of the Fries. It offers burgers, hot dogs, fries, onion rings, 'chicken' nuggets' and a whole range of things, and the whole store is 100% vegetarian and almost everything can be made vegan.

And one of the best parts about it, is that it's not advertised as a vegan place or a veggie place, but just a burger place. One of the most popular burger places here actually. A lot of omnivores who eat there love it, and some don't even know it's 100% vegetarian (They use some very good mock meat).

http://www.lordofthefries.com.au/menu/

This whole menu can be vegan, it's amazing!

Sorry if I went off rambling, but I get what you mean about being vegan and still wanting junk food sometimes. Just because we choose to eat cruelty free, and environmentally friendly, doesn't automatically mean we are all health obsessed 100% of the time, even though that is one of the stereotypes. It's why I love Lord of the Fries so much.

I understand your frustration though, aside from this one chain, almost all other burger chain places here only have veggie burgers, not vegan ones.
#3 Old 01-31-2016, 06:54 PM
Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post
In my city (Melbourne, Australia), there is a very successful fast-food chain called Lord of the Fries. It offers burgers, hot dogs, fries, onion rings, 'chicken' nuggets' and a whole range of things, and the whole store is 100% vegetarian and almost everything can be made vegan.

And one of the best parts about it, is that it's not advertised as a vegan place or a veggie place, but just a burger place. One of the most popular burger places here actually. A lot of omnivores who eat there love it, and some don't even know it's 100% vegetarian (They use some very good mock meat).

Sorry if I went off rambling, but I get what you mean about being vegan and still wanting junk food sometimes. Just because we choose to eat cruelty free, and environmentally friendly, doesn't automatically mean we are all health obsessed 100% of the time, even though that is one of the stereotypes. It's why I love Lord of the Fries so much.
Ugh, you are LUCKY. Theres nothing like that here (PA). And if it is it's far from where I am. That's crazy that non-veggie people don't know it's not really meat. Must be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-31-2016, 06:57 PM
Vegan

Quote:

I understand your frustration though, aside from this one chain, almost all other burger chain places here only have veggie burgers, not vegan ones.
Those nuggest are veggie?????? Those look too good, vegan chicken has a special place in my heart. I just this its because its breaded though lol!
#5 Old 01-31-2016, 07:07 PM
Beginner

"Yes, I'm still upset that burger kings veggie burger isn't vegan."

Me too!!! There was a petition for a vegan burger at BK a while back but it is now closed
https://www.change.org/p/burger-king...r-to-your-menu
If anyone comes across any new petitions for it, please share with me! I've been on a signing petitions kick lately. Or maybe I'll send a letter like you did

Last edited by Jenn2; 01-31-2016 at 07:08 PM. Reason: forgot the quote
#6 Old 01-31-2016, 07:13 PM
Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2 View Post
"Yes, I'm still upset that burger kings veggie burger isn't vegan."

Me too!!! There was a petition for a vegan burger at BK a while back but it is now closed
https://www.change.org/p/burger-king...r-to-your-menu
If anyone comes across any new petitions for it, please share with me! I've been on a signing petitions kick lately. Or maybe I'll send a letter like you did
I saw that petition on a similar post! I hope we can change their mind. Maybe ill start a petition.
Jenn2 likes this.
#7 Old 01-31-2016, 07:36 PM
Ankle Biter

Even if BK were to offer a vegan pattie, it's likely the buns would still be questionable.
Kiwibird08 and littestvegan like this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#8 Old 01-31-2016, 07:59 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Even if BK were to offer a vegan pattie, it's likely the buns would still be questionable.
Eek, you're probably right! Maybe that's why they just won't do it. They have mono- and diglycerides in their buns, which could be a problem. If it was easy, you'd think that they would just go for it....like, is it too much of a hassle, or too expensive for a fast food chain to do this?

Wish that lord of the fries place was everywhere.
littestvegan likes this.
#9 Old 01-31-2016, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by littestvegan View Post
Those nuggest are veggie?????? Those look too good, vegan chicken has a special place in my heart. I just this its because its breaded though lol!
My roomate is a huge meat-eater, but he's open to trying new things and eating vegan food, and he admitted that he likes those nuggets more than real chicken nuggets. He also loves their burgers. So yeah the mock meat used there is good enough that even most omni's love it. And a lot of them don't even know it's fake.
Jenn2 and littestvegan like this.
#10 Old 01-31-2016, 08:40 PM
Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
You're right, I didn't even think about that.
#11 Old 02-01-2016, 01:30 AM

There's also the issue of them possibly/accidently being cooked on the same grill the meat is cooked on. (It's my understanding that's the way they used to be cooked until people complained). They're supposed to be microwaved now (they're just Morningstar veggie burgers) but all it takes is a new employee to assume they get grilled like everything else. Also, here at least, they like to dump a pile of mayo on them as well. I don't know, convenience aside, I think I'll stick to getting my veggie food from a place that isn't called Burger King.
Naturebound and plnteater like this.

Last edited by SpookyKid; 02-01-2016 at 01:31 AM. Reason: spelling
#12 Old 02-01-2016, 09:20 AM
Beginner

I love the veggie burgers at Burger king, I think its great the company is making an effort to have a vegetarian option better then we can say for most of the other fast food chains.
LedBoots and Jenn2 like this.
#13 Old 02-01-2016, 09:55 AM
No flesh since 99'

They probably don't want to have to deal with a fully vegan offering. That means they would need to use vegan buns (if not already, which I doubt they are), have a separate grill (who'd want it grilled on the same place they just grilled a beef burger *vomits*), make sure at least some of their sauces/toppings were vegan, train staff as many are likely uneducated about veganism ext ...

Offering a meat free patty that makes no guarantees it wasn't grilled after a burger or in some other way come into contact with meat or dairy residue (i,e, on a prep surface, in a microwave ext...) is about as far as I'm sure they're willing to go. It's better than nothing, and they have actually had their veggie burger for a LONG time (a lot longer than other fast food chains just now catching on to the vegetarian/vegan customer potential). I remember them starting to offer veggie burgers within the first few years after I went veg (and that was in 99'), so BK has been trying to do *something* for veggies for a long time and I commend them for that (even though I wouldn't ever eat their food at this point in my life).
#14 Old 02-01-2016, 10:39 AM
Fellow Hummusapian

I appreciate that they do have a vegetarian option, and as another user has said, they've had a veggie burger for quite awhile. There's still so many chains that don't offer anything for a veggie.

I'm not a big fan of MorningStar, so I rarely go there. I wish they served Boca instead but you never know... maybe in time they'll include a vegan option. I think with the way veganism has become kind of trendy, they just might.
no whey jose and Jenn2 like this.
#15 Old 02-01-2016, 10:41 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

BK microwaves the Morningstar patties, so no worries about grill contamination. Tbh, any restaurant that isn't vegan is going to have cross contamination risks.
#16 Old 02-01-2016, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

It's been years since I had that and I hated it! It may have been undercooked because it was mush in the middle. I felt it was a conspiracy to keep people from wanting veg foods
I think they have good fries and I never get fries...
Yeah, I'm craving fries and keep telling myself "NO"
#17 Old 02-03-2016, 10:47 AM

I recently read somewhere (and was told by someone working there), that they don't use a different grill to cook the veggie burgers... Which means they're cooked right beside meat. That was the end for me! Never again... In fact, I still feel a bit sick.
#18 Old 02-03-2016, 11:08 AM
an irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateForVeggies View Post
I recently read somewhere (and was told by someone working there), that they don't use a different grill to cook the veggie burgers... Which means they're cooked right beside meat. That was the end for me! Never again... In fact, I still feel a bit sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
BK microwaves the Morningstar patties, so no worries about grill contamination. Tbh, any restaurant that isn't vegan is going to have cross contamination risks.
a buddy takes his son to Burger king for the morning star burgers, (family of vegetarians) and has said they look to be either microwaved or cooked in a convection or broiler oven. if I ate them, I would have a hard time buying one at burger king when every major grocery store carries morning star products , around here atleast.

instagram: Popcorncaptain
#19 Old 02-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I AM SO JEALOUS RIGHT NOW.

I see pictures online of the food from Lord Of The Fries and it all looks phenomenal!
#20 Old 02-03-2016, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I AM SO JEALOUS RIGHT NOW.

I see pictures online of the food from Lord Of The Fries and it all looks phenomenal!
Want to become even more jealous? The closest LOTF store to me is a 15 minute walk from my house. And I have to pass THREE of their stores on my usual walk to work. They are everywhere here, it's a very popular chain, with meat-eaters and vegetarians and vegans, everyone loves it.
#21 Old 02-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

It's probably not worth it to them since vegans are so unlikely to go there to begin with. It's probably been AT LEAST 10 years since I set foot inside a Burger King.
LedBoots likes this.
#22 Old 02-06-2016, 05:19 AM

Why would you want to eat there in the first place? Because even if they had veggie burgers it would still be very unhealthy, containing a lot of artificial ingredients that fattens and undone from its fibers so the customer is never satisfied so they will buy more and more, only to fill in there greedy and evil corporation's pockets.
#23 Old 02-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawx79 View Post
Why would you want to eat there in the first place? Because even if they had veggie burgers it would still be very unhealthy, containing a lot of artificial ingredients that fattens and undone from its fibers so the customer is never satisfied so they will buy more and more, only to fill in there greedy and evil corporation's pockets.
Veganism is about animal rights, not necessarily health. Vegans can enjoy junk food just as much as anybody else.
Quote:
Want to become even more jealous? The closest LOTF store to me is a 15 minute walk from my house. And I have to pass THREE of their stores on my usual walk to work. They are everywhere here, it's a very popular chain, with meat-eaters and vegetarians and vegans, everyone loves it.
Can I move in with you?
Crouton, Muttley and Jenn2 like this.
#24 Old 02-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I wouldn't, but if I knew they had something I would eat like a vegan burger then I would. There are times I'm out and hungry without options.
The point is that if vegan options were readily available, and quit being though of as weird food no one but vegans eat, more people would choose it, whether or not they're vegan. More vegetarians who only eat dairy and eggs because they're common would choose vegan. It's a matter of availability.
#25 Old 02-06-2016, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Exactly what Jose said, being vegan doesn't automatically mean your obsessed with health all the time, it means you care about animals. A lot of vegans still want to spoil themselves and get junk food with friends every now and then.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

Tags
burger , burger king , fast food , veggie burger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page